FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: The Boyless Summer

Author Topic: New column: The Boyless Summer
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
The Boyless Summer

This May my teenage son, Tony, complained about needing money during his summer break at UCF. My wife, Teresa, said, jokingly, "Hey, I'd pay you to take your brother away." Tony asked, in all seriousness, how much. And the Summer of Unexpected Delight began.

For a bit less than it usually cost us to board, feed, and amuse his 12-year-old brother, James, we offered to pay Tony to act as a one-boy summer camp. Provide a couch, Internet access, take him to the pool and to movies and generally keep him occupied. Arts and crafts were optional. Before either son could think this through we dumped James -- along with his computer, his TV, enough gaming consoles to launch a successful invasion of the eastern hemisphere, a handful of clothes, and a toothbrush -- at Tony's Orlando apartment and we drove off, laughing gaily and high-fiving each other.

We knew it couldn't last. We weren't entirely sure they wouldn't beat us home. Tony and James, seven years apart, have a healthy and spirited fratricidal relationship that would have fit right into any of your more common Greek tragedies. We fully anticipated seeing James back within a week, and then only if we changed the locks on the sixth day to slow him up. But hey, even a quiet afternoon would be a nice change of pace.

And then, the impossible happened. The boys didn't kill each other. Not even once.

More...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of waiting for crashing sounds, why not try GPS tracking collars? I hear they are cheaper if you buy them in bulk.
Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd comment on your article, but at the moment I'm feeling WAY too jealous. [Wink]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
If you were wondering why I haven't been around Hatrack much, this is why.

I did skip the part where we were going to remodel his room while he was away -- repaint, new carpet, new furniture, the works -- and didn't do anything until the very last week because a) it rained every single day here from mid-May til the beginning of July, and b) we didn't wanna. It made the last week somewhat... hectic.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, that was AWESOME!!

I love your columns.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome, indeed!

I lurv Wednesdays.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds marvelous. I am so jealous. Near tears, really.

*sniffle*

The same amount of drinks in the fridge--really? I thought that was an urban legend. *is in awe*

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man! This has got to be one of my favorites of yours, Chris!

*applause, applause*

You are truly making me look forward to those empty nest years that I will be facing very, very soon

(unfortunately, I won't have anyone to snuggle on the bed with -- but I can find other things to fill those hours)

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I love wednesdays too.... Maybe you could write your next column as a semi sequel about the chaos that insued after the breif stint of bliss.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
at Tony's Orlando apartment
At first I read this as "Tony Orlando's apartment", and for a split second there I was really confused.

Uh, that is all.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Time without kids is great. [Smile] Makes the time with kids so much more enjoyable.

Except for the uncomfortable chafing . . .

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, this is one of your best yet. [Smile] I laughed a LOT!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
Not even once?
Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a great idea to me. It's always nice to get a break from the kid(s).
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

- posted      Profile for Miriya   Email Miriya         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds awesome! Can't wait til my kids are old enough for that. [Smile] Great column.
Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
lol

amazing. I love your column!

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
I think your column illustrates why I always have WAY more kids at scout camp than I do at regular old scout meetings.

"It'll be fun, Jimmy. Take the bug spray."

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

Great article!

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
A better solution than shipping your kids off to summer camp all summer long!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.