FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Favorite Romantic Movie

Author Topic: Favorite Romantic Movie
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
We've had favorite love song... What's your favorite romantic movie?

Mine would have to be Like Water For Chocolate. I love the way Tita's love for Pedro has magical properties when she cooks. And how that love never fades as he is kept just out of reach for all those years.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
That's tough, it actually depends on the mood I'm in. One of my favorites is Moulin Rouge, but I have to be in a musical mood to watch it. Chick flicks wise, I like Sleepless in Seattle
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Moulin Rouge is fantastic!

What counts as a romantic movie anyway? Does it have to be mainly about romance? Does the love story have to be the best part? Titanic was great, for instance, but not so much because of the love story aspect.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Finding Neverland
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Tiramisu.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second Finding Neverland. The fact that their love is so chaste is one of the most romantic things about it. *spoiler* And at the end when he says to Julie Christie "I loved your daughter very much"...ah. I die.

I also love While You Were Sleeping...that look he gives her at the wedding when she admits to his family that she's in love with him. It slays me! And then at the end when he just looks into her eyes and says "Marry Me." *sigh*

You've Got Mail. I just like the banter and the Tom Hanks-isms in that one. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Oh, and I also have to add Little Women to that. The whole stinking thing is romantic. It's probably my favorite movie of all time.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
A New Leaf

Walter Mathau, even. You know it's a good movie when Walter Mathau comes off as incredibly romantic.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Somewhere in Time

The Princess Bride

and if those aren't ridiculous enough...

Urban Cowboy

Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay... I Sooooooooo didn't "get" Finding Neverland. It was okay...but my expectations were very high because my sis-in-law called it something like the best movie ever...

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
High Fidelity. [Smile]

Also, Fight Club. "I met you at a very strange time in my life." [Big Grin]

Added: There's also the classic Cyrano de Bergerac.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia, I thought I was the only one! *swoons*

If only I were the swooning type.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

If only I were the catching type! [Big Grin]
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
Braveheart
Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
Casablanca or A Little Romance.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JLM
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for JLM           Edit/Delete Post 
Better Off Dead
Posts: 157 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
So I Married An Axe Murderer
Princess Bride
Lady And the Tramp

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
When Harry Met Sally

Pride and Predjudice

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NdRa
Member # 2295

- posted      Profile for NdRa   Email NdRa         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw notebook the other day. I cried like I was swimming in a pool of raw onions.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

That movie makes me mad. It must be just me, everyone else I've talked to loved it.

mimsies, I love "Axe Murderer!"

"He wants you back!"
He screams into the night
Like a fireman running to a window
Where there is no fire

[Big Grin]

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Porter and I both saw "Say Anything" for the first time ever this last year. We both loved it.

We also loved "50 First Dates".

For years my three favorite romances were "While You Were Sleeping", "It Could Happen to You" and "A Walk in the Clouds".

"Miss Congeniality" was the crappiest love-story EVER.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll add another supporting voice to So I Married An Axe Murderer, and to Sleepless in Seattle.

Just don't tell anyone, guys aren't supposed to like girly movies. But I also liked Moulin Rouge a lot.

Also liked When Harry Met Sally, and You've Got Mail. Basically all the Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks movies.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I only saw "Axe Murderer" once--loved it. I need to watch it again.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Add Love Actually to that list. It's one of my favorite movies period, not just romantic, though it's more of a holiday movie.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Talking about favorite romantic movies, I love the conversation in "Sleepless in Seattle" about "The Dirty Dozen". [Big Grin]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

My three favorite parts in Sleepless in Seattle:

"Where is he?"
"NY"
"No way!"
"That's NW."
"New York, he went to New York."

2. The part where Meg Ryan says "All I could say was, hello." And then her and Rosie O'Donnel go watch the movie and the same line is in it.

3. (Most favorite, don't know why) I love the part when Tom Hanks pulls down the map of the US and tells his son to find Seattle and find New York. And then he's like "Ahhh! 1, 2, 3, 4 there's like 26 states in between."

mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there may be a sad lack in the Hatrack zeitgeist. How many of you have seen "A room with a view"?

Also, Casablanca.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Return to Me. I also love the old Audrey Hepburn movies -- Roman Holiday and Sabrina.

I too like You've Got Mail and City of Angels.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Mmmmm. Gregory Peck. I love Roman Holiday, but then I hate it because they don't end up together!

beverly, I finally saw the Dirty Dozen last year and then i saw Sleepless and laughed my head off at that part. [Smile] It was so much funnier after I'd seen the movie.

A Walk in the Clouds is really a nice one too. I'll second that one and Return to Me.

Aurinona
Member # 8443

- posted      Profile for Aurinona   Email Aurinona         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to join others in putting The Princess Bride on my list.

Other than that, I have a strange fondness for The Truth About Cats and Dogs. I know there are others that just aren't coming to mind right now.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife's favorite part of While You Were Sleeping is when the paperboy falls off his bike. I like the part when the elevator goes "ding."

Edit: Spelling

[ August 04, 2005, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: skillery ]

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Narnia, Amen. [Smile]

I think A Walk in the Clouds touched me so deeply because he didn't just fall in love with a girl, he fell in love with her culture. That really struck a chord with me.

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to second the Audrey Hepburn movies (especially Sabrina), and The Princess Bride.

Also Ladyhawke, Emma, Phantom of the Opera, and more I can't think of at the moment.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Oh Ladyhawke! Rutger Hauer was just so tortured and in love and Michelle Pfeiffer was just so ethereal and gorgeous. I love it at the end when they finally stick it to the bishop (literally and figuratively) and hug and cry in the church....*sigh* It's wonderful. [Smile]
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Ladyhawke is th only DVD I personally own. I love it! It's such a beautiful story. I love The Mouse, he's my favorite character. [Smile]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
While You've Got Mail and Little Women are just about my absolute favorites, they've already been mentioned.

So I'll have to go with Return to Me. It's absolutely brilliant in every way. The fact that he hangs out with her grandfather's friends - are there still American men who would do that? It's awesome. When someone first told me the plot to that movie, I was like "Sick. You've got to be kidding." But it works! And it's adorable!

Don't you have anything that's not fried in oil?!

No, some of our dishes are boiled in Swiss water.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
oooh Roman Holiday! so good!

I also started getting into "dancing" movies: Dirty Dancing, Strictly Ballroom, stuff like that. They're always good.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

My whole family's favorite part is where the kid falls off the bike in "While You Were Sleeping"
Narnia
Member # 1071

What's not to love about that part? It comes at you so unexpectedly and it's so funny that I laugh just thinking about it. [Smile]

My favorite part about that movie is that it's set in Chicago at Christmas. I'm so sick of New York movies that I could scream, I love movies set in chicago. I'm biased.

1lobo1
Member # 7762

- posted      Profile for 1lobo1   Email 1lobo1         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone Like You
Posts: 54 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Yup, it was little scenes like the paperboy that made the movie truly charming. [Smile]
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I am another Little Women fan. Also, Sense and Sensibility.

Oh, and don't forget about all the romantic Disney classics! Sleeping Beauty, Robin Hood, Beauty and the Beast... [Smile]

[ August 03, 2005, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: Jeni ]

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

- posted      Profile for Hmm216   Email Hmm216         Edit/Delete Post 
Chocolat...not only is it a love story between people, but also a GREAT love story between peoplw and CHOCOLATE!!!

Ever After with Drew Barrymore (sp?) is also at the top of my list! I think it is one of the best Cinderella stories ever told, well excluding the original!

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy, among those mentioned:
Ever After
While You Were Sleeping
Princess Bride
those old Disney romances, Robin Hood, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast

Among those not mentioned:
The Tenth Kingdom (so sue me, it's cheesy, but Wolf is adorable)
Beauty and the Beast the 80s TV show (I'm cheating)

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone mentioned Gone With the Wind yet?

Another one of my favorites is The Age of Innocence. It kills me every time when he just looks up at her window and then walks away.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.