FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I don't know anything about paint!

Author Topic: I don't know anything about paint!
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, not about wall paint, anyway. And more importantly, I don't know how to get it off.

The master bedroom in our new house is, at the moment, painted with burgandy paint. Glossy burgandy paint. How do I get rid of it? Is there some kind of primer that will stick to glossy paint? Do I have to dissolve it with something? Do I go at it with sand paper? I have no idea!

I just know someone out there in Hatrack Land can help, though. I need you guys!

Edit - I forgot to ask my other question! What about getting glossy bubble-gum pink paint off of baseboards and a wooden door? Any way to recover the wood? Or will I need to just repaint?

[ August 03, 2005, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: Vána ]

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Burgandy. That's dark.

(sorry I can't help you. I'm waiting to see what people tell you, it's valuable info.)

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
What you really need is to go hang out at home depot. [Smile] They're so helpful. Or lowes. Whichever.

I don't know the answer to your question...but I bet there's a product out there.. like paint thinner or stripper or something.. or just really opaque primer.. [Smile]

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you're necessarily going to get it OFF.

If it was me -- I would sand it heavily to take the gloss sheen off -- then paint it with a heavy duty primer or Kilz.

punwit is the one to ask, though. I'm e-mail him and give him a heads-up on this thread.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
There is a liquid sanding product. I have some, but have never used it. And different primers are made for different things, including covering really dark colors. I'd ask at the paint store, they really are very helpful.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Valspar makes one called a Glossy Surface Primer

But, as ElJay says -- any reputable paint store or home improvement store should be able to help you with ideas

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Two coats of Kilz before the new color, you should be fine. You can do some light sanding if the old paint is glossy. otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.
Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

You guys are the best. I added another question up there, too, that I forgot to ask when I posted - what about baseboards and wooden doors?

And no, it's not the same room, thankfully. [Smile]

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Uh -- what about them? Are you saying they have glossy paint too? Or no paint? or Stain, or what? And how do you WANT them to look?
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Oh duh -- I didn't scroll up. Sorry
Narnia
Member # 1071

Recovering painted wood is rather complex...it involves a paint solvent and some sanding and then wood finish...that's the extent of my knowledge. It might not be worth it for trim (pink!) unless it's the trim in your new house you're talking about. Then I'd definitely pry it off and refinish it (I'm assuming it's antique.) And the door definitely. (pink?! Saints preserve us!)
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

It's just the one room, thankfully - my music room is currently a nursery for a small girl. It's scary! There's no way it can stay the way it is, but painting wouldn't be too bad. I just think the wood would be nicer.
Kettricken
Member # 8436

- posted      Profile for Kettricken   Email Kettricken         Edit/Delete Post 
I helped a friend get paint off her skirting board. We used a heat gun to melt the paint – it bubbled up then flaked off when scraped, then we sanded the wood. It was hard work but looked really good. The most difficult thing is to heat the paint just enough so it bubbles off but not so much that the wood scorches.
Posts: 169 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Wow, I've never heard of the heat thing. That's pretty cool and it makes sense. My dad used to be a carpenter and he always had to use the solvent with steel wool and then sand (IIRC). In both cases you have to remove the trim from the wall, don't you?
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Vana, you've already received the advice I would have given. I would most certainly sand those glossy surfaces and then use a oil based sealer. The oil base sealer has a bonding agent that will adhere to the glossy surface. You could put two coats of sealer on but I'm not sure that would gain you much. If you've applied a good solid coat of primer I would then start with whatever color you've chosen. It's likely that you'll need at least 2 coats of finish if not 3. As far as the wood work is concerned I would recommend the same process if you're going to repaint. If you wish to try removing the paint, I would recommend that you take a small piece of trim and experiment first. Stripping trim that has multiple layers of paint can be very tedious especially if some of those early coats contain lead. Good luck and I'll be happy to help if you have any further questions.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kettricken
Member # 8436

- posted      Profile for Kettricken   Email Kettricken         Edit/Delete Post 
When we did my friends skirting board we kept it on the wall. I'm not sure if what you call trim is the same as what I call skirting board though!

I've also stipped wood using paint and varnish stripper, scraping it then sanding. It was a nasty and messy job.

Posts: 169 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

yeah, that's what I've heard about stripping. Blech!
Vána
Member # 6593

Thanks you guys so much!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.