FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Harry Potter & Half Blood Prince *SPOILERS* (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Harry Potter & Half Blood Prince *SPOILERS*
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for making ANOTHER thread but the other one I found was 14 pages long.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DUMBLEDORE DIED!!!!!!!!

My brother curse his soul for all eternaty spoiled the ending for my so i didn't believe him until I finished my copy.

But on another level I underdstand this decision Harry has to stop being dependant on Dumbledore's protection and has to stand up to Tom Riddle himself. As for Snape, I still stunned, we go through the like 5 books all hearing how Dumbledore has somekind of rock solid reason to trus Snape and Snape just kills him. I don't understand could've Dumbledore made a huge mistake?

Other then that, whose this R.A.B? An old friend of Dumbledore we don't know about dispite the fact that Dumbledore said Tom had no friends? Could be a girlfriend we don't know about?

And for Snape being the Prince I should've known, being the bloody potions teacher! But I just assumed it was Riddle, and geuss what I was wrong.

Once again JK Rowling shocks me again with plot twists which to my understanding I should just give up trying to predict the ending, hats off to her. [Hat]

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Regulus A. Black is the popular theory bandied about.

You really should skim through the other thread, there's a lot of stuff in there.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Interesting, though I'm thinking not, was Riddle in Hogwarts at the same time as Black? They had to not only have known each other but at the very least RAB would've cared for Riddle in some way to hope Riddle will one day regain his humanity. And ya when I have more time I'll check it out.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Regulus was Black's younger brother, so, I'd say that's extremely unlikely that they were at Hogwarts together, unless Voldemort was at Hogwarts AFTER James, Lily and the others were there.

And if you remember from previous books, Regulus was involved with Voldemort and the other Death Eaters. Reread Order of the Phoenix for more information.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Riddle was in school 50 years prior to Harry's sencond year as was Hagrid. Sirius was there with Harry's dad and Regulas was YOUNGER than him so there is no way he was at school with Riddle. You really should read through the other thread.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we've hit on most of the common theories and some people have thought of some new ones that are quite intriguing and plausible. [Big Grin] Go read it, it's fun! (I had to do this too, I didn't finish the book until the thread was up to page 9 or 10.)
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

alright I will. But when as I said I have more time.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. If only we had a thread all about Harry Potter that was like 13 pgs long!
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ele
Member # 708

- posted      Profile for Ele   Email Ele         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone think that Harry ought to destroy that thing anyway and that the note was left as the simplest ruse to protect the amulet? (Dumbledore said the magic was crude.)

Can anyone detect magic around here now that Dumbledore is gone?

I knew that Albus had to go, although I didn't want it to happen. As long as there was someone protecting Harry, the final confrontation would not be his. It's the quest formula. He has to prove what he has learned and grow up.

What killed *me* was that Snape did it. I honestly held out hope for him right up to the moment he spoke the words. And then I finished the chapter in shock.

I did entertain about half way through that Snape was the HBP: his closet in the potions room.

Posts: 745 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Ele, a lot of us felt the same way. We all have our own hopes and dreams about Snape. [Smile] I still think he's on the good side. (Go read that thread, it's got so many good theories!)
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, y'all think Dumbledore is actually dead?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Dumbledore is dead. Snape is not evil.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent summation, Tom. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Very succinct.

Though, I think a clone, Dumbledorre will arrive in the second movie, but things will not be as they seem ::spooky laugh::

Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
It would not be impossible for Rowling to figure out a way to bring Dumbledore back in some form, especially given that he is repeatedly associated with a pheonix.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Yeah, and it's not like she didn't detail exactly how to do it in this book, either.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, are we being serious now?

I think Dumbledore is dead, for the simple reason that Jo has maintained since book IV that when you're dead, you don't magically come to life. Ever.

That, and the fact that while Dumbly's death might have been the worst thing to happen to Harry and the Order, it's not the worst thing to happen to Dumbly himself. He's too busy having his next great adventure to bother turning into a phoenix.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

- posted      Profile for Hmm216   Email Hmm216         Edit/Delete Post 
Rowling once said that the Order communicated through their Patronuses...DD Patronus is a Pheonix, and at the Funeral harry thought he saw a Pheonix fly out of the flame...

Now that could just be his spirit or something of that sort...or, and I know its far fetched, it could be DD communicating with his patronus!

I Believe that DD is dead...but their is that unexplained scene at the funeral with the flames and the pheonix.

Any thoughts???

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
Did he see a phoenix? I thought he just saw a flash of flame as DD was entombed.
Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

- posted      Profile for Hmm216   Email Hmm216         Edit/Delete Post 
On pg 645..."Harry thought for one heart-stopping moment, that he saw a pheonix fly joyfully into the blue, but the next second the fire had vanished".

I dont know could just be a sentimental touch...but its always fun to speculate!!

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Voldemort wasn't dead. Then there is the whole question of whether or not Snape was really Snape. I mean, there is polyjuice potion. Why couldn't Dumbledore and Snape have changed places?

I'm just saying.

And the thing I hated about this book was how completely out of character Dumbledore acted throughout the entire book. I really felt this book was a season cliff-hanger. It pissed me off.

Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Dumbledore acted perfectly in character he knew he may not live soon so decided to do the best he could to help harry the best he could. What as I said disturbed me was that Dumbledore seemed absolutely blind to Snape, I geuss he never heard about the unbreakable vow? Is that why SNape betrayed Dumbledore? I gotta check that other thread now...
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

And the thing I hated about this book was how completely out of character Dumbledore acted throughout the entire book.

In his defense, he's a crippled old man concealing at least three huge secrets from the same person he's trying to train. (Don't ask me why he doesn't unburden himself of some of these secrets; I think he just likes being smarter than everyone else. *laugh*)
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoyHobbs
Member # 7594

- posted      Profile for RoyHobbs   Email RoyHobbs         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Tom . [Smile]

Dumbledore is actually dead, and the extent of his return will be a note and/or the portrait.

Oh, and the pensieve.

Snape is on the good side, or should I say he is on Dumbledores' side, even more so now because of Snape's role in his death.

Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished. No energy for the other thread.

Dumbledore is dead. Although he did say to Malfoy right before that "we can make you look dead." Still, I think he is dead. Snape killed him as was prearranged between them so he could continue in his role as Voldemort supporter.

Dumbledore's death brought me back to The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe/Christ. I think he knew his moment was coming, and was sad about it, but went through with it nonetheless.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For Hogwarts-school he, Albus, ran
(The witchcraft school of wizardry):
Where elves cooked meals in the pan;
Where stairwells trapped a stumbling man;
Where there was much to see:
A great big forest for a ground,
With centaurs living all around;
A hospital with drugs and pills;
A great entrapping willow tree:
Right up in England’s northern hills
Enfolding sunny spots of greenery.

But O! That deep romantic chasm (slanted)
Has been revealed to just be a cover!
A savage place! Not holy but enchanted
For Albus Dumbledore has been then ranted
By many whom we know are demons-lovers.
And then to kill him making us all seethe,
Whilst Albus is unable but to breathe…!
By Avada Kedavra he was cursed,
Until the lively spirit from him burst;
He died without a knowledgeable trail,
Against the Dark he knows that we’ll now fail.
He will remain dead, he won’t live – for ever!
O when he took a sail then by the river

With Harry by him, rowing with slow motion,
While death-consumers through the school-halls ran,
And raced up stairs as quickly as one can –
Especially the maker of the potion!
Amid this turmoil Harry knew from far,
That this damned battle will not end the war.

The shadow of the death of pleasure
Ending with a land of graves;
Agony could not be measured
As he fared a goodbye wave.
For Voldemort that day’d devise
To stare at death with laughing eyes.

A demon with a wand at hand
In real life he saw:
He was the one whose name’s not said,
And Harry on the ground he laid:
Screeching with a Crucioed pain.
Could I revive within myself
His pain that lasted long?
To such a depth ‘twould kill me
That to think of deeds so wrong
I would stop the daily fire from flare,
The day rethought – not played with dice!
And all who saw would stare right there
And all should cry, “Beware! Beware!”,
The Dragon sleeps within his lair!

Kill the Lord – the Devil’s vice –
And stare at him with holy dread:
For he on bone, flesh, blood had fed
And he to men was never nice.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a weird question: What does Hermione get from the boys for Christmas?

Most of the time the Christmas morning scene is told from Harry's perspective; we find out what Harry and Ron gave each other, but no information on what Hermione received.

I hope in at least one of the books they mentioned what the boys gave her, but I can't really remember which one.

/derailment

[ August 04, 2005, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't she get them homework planners last year?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Last year (book 5) Ron gave her unusual smelling perfume. It mentioned what Harry gave her as well, I think, but I don't remember what it was.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Ah, thanks guys. [Smile]

I do remember the homework planners. I wasn't aware that Hermione got perfume from Ron. That is a totally come on gift.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

lol, poor Ron getting the love potion from Vane [Big Grin] .

.... actually speaking of which why was it again half the girls at Hogwarts wanted to go out with Harry again? Was it the thing at the Ministry?

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
This is an EVIL shirt! *spoiler warning*

Why do I want one? Why??!?! [Wall Bash]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
That is frickin' awesome. [Cool]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I want the British version, for added confusion. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
I want the British version too. [ROFL]
Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vid
Member # 7172

- posted      Profile for Vid   Email Vid         Edit/Delete Post 
I was leaning towards Evil Snape, but I just reread in GoF where Dumbledore is making plans after Voldemort returns and says something to the effect of "Severus, are you prepared to do what you must do?" And he looks paler than usual and left. What's his task... go back?

And, since it's a new thread, I'm gonna put this out there for people to discuss: Harry is a Horcrux. Either he's the 7th part of V's soul or the 8th. Yes, it was an accident, and I'll back it up more when I'm not at work [Smile]

Harry and Ginny will elope in the beginning of Book 7. Yeah, it's real easy to predict that they'll get back together, but based off what Mrs. Weasley said about people running off and eloping last time V came to power, I think that's what Harry and Ginny will do.

Then they'll die together in the end.

(I tend not to make many friends when I give my predictions... I wonder why)

Posts: 162 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Harry is not a horcrux. And Dumbledore will not come back, not because Rowling can't make him come back, she clearly has a couple of existing ways (or could invent a new one), but because she won't bring him back. She was bawling when she wrote that scene. She would lose all credibility by toying with the readers' emotions and people wouldn't want to read anything else she writes after HP.

I wonder, if Harry and Ginny get back together near the beginning of the book, will Harry tell her all about his lessons with Dumbledore? He promised not to tell anyone but Hermione and Ron, and seems like he really wants to keep that promise. I'm guessing that unless he gets the OK from portrait-Dumbledore to tell a few other people, he won't get back together with Ginny until later in the book.

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I can believe that Harry is a horcrux for Riddle.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Riddle was planning on making a Horcrux with Harry's death, and something happened. He may not be a Horcrux, but he has something of Riddle's on account of it, I'm sure of that.

And I agree completely with Tom - Dumbledore is really dead, and Snape isn't a bad guy.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

I remeeber that scene too, interesting how we all still have hope for Snape despite what he did. And quite possibly Harry is a Horcrux considering we don't actually know if Riddle found an artifact or Ravenclaw or griffendor.
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

I don't see how Riddle finding or not finding a Ravenclaw or Gryffindor artifact has anything to do with whether or not Harry is a horcrux. He was planning to use Harry's death to create one, so he definitely had an object.
Damien.m
Member # 8462

- posted      Profile for Damien.m   Email Damien.m         Edit/Delete Post 
i think harry is a horcrux.it all comes from riddle thinking that theres nothing worse than death. he made harry a horcrux because he thought there would be no way harry would sacrifice himself
Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

interesting.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I want the British version
Authenticity. ALWAYS authenticity! I refused to buy the Yank one, and it was one long, hard battle for the Pommy version. But I got it by pre-ordering a little after they started selling the book here Saturday evening.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

quote:
Originally posted by Damien.m:
i think harry is a horcrux.it all comes from riddle thinking that theres nothing worse than death. he made harry a horcrux because he thought there would be no way harry would sacrifice himself

Then why is he trying to kill Harry (thus destroying part of his soul)?
Vid
Member # 7172

- posted      Profile for Vid   Email Vid         Edit/Delete Post 
Because he knows that particular piece of his soul is in his mortal enemy - we discovered in OotP that Harry and LV can pretty much sit in on what each other is up to, and LV doesn't want Harry to become a super-legilimens and start reading his mind. He's also got enough shards of his soul away from his body that destroying one won't do anything. Dumbledore did say he probably doesn't notice when a Horcrux is destroyed.
Posts: 162 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
That's not the point, Vid- Voldemort tried to kill Harry as a baby, remember, before Harry survived the Avada Kedavra that crippled him. It would make zero sense for Voldemort to purposely turn the child he is about to murder into a Horcrux, as (if all goes as planned), said child will be dead shortly. I suppose he could have been planning to turn Harry's corpse into a Horcrux, but decomposition probably annihilates soul shards as well as any other method of Horcrux-destruction.

Now, Harry accidentally receiving some Horcruxy properties from Voldemort's misfired Avada Kedavra, that I could believe. But there's no way Voldemort arrived at Godric's Hollow with the intention of making Harry Potter into a Horcrux.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Tarrsk's second paragraph sums up my feelings on the subject pretty well. Which begs the question, why am I even posting. [Frown] *insomnia strikes* [Smile]
Damien.m
Member # 8462

- posted      Profile for Damien.m   Email Damien.m         Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Tarrsk however we cannot say what voldemorts true motives were that night in godrics hollow. for instance, why did he bring someone to godrics hollow with him? now before you start saying that we have no evidence there was someone there with him think about this. how did he get his wand back??? he could not have taken it with him as he was only a soul fragment. and who destroyed the house? hagrid said he found the house in ruins but avada kedavra doesnt inflict any damage.
Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

quote:
now before you start saying that we have no evidence there was someone there with him
But we do have evidence (sort of). Rowling said in an interview right after HBP came out that there was someone else present, though she didn't say who it was.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.