FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My friend just threw a bat in a box out the window

Author Topic: My friend just threw a bat in a box out the window
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
In my futal attempt to fall asleep this evening, I heard what sounded like it could have been a squirrel outside my room. It was running into things and making the clicking noises of squirrel nails running. Having had a few squirrels in the house already I decided not to worry about it this evening because it was three AM and to take care of it in the morning.

I don't have curtains in my room so the mirror in my room reflects the outside light. I had opened my eyes and looked at the mirror and saw what looked like something swooping around. I weirdly thought it was just the fan making some strange light pattern and then realized that wasn't possible. And then there was that moment where I knew it was a bat.

So I left my room and went to the bathroom, leaving my door open and the bat began to fly around my room and the kitchen. Meanwhile I was cowering near the bathroom door. Luckily a friend who is visiting happened to be awake and she came out of her room, saw my face peaking out of the bathroom and the bat flying around. She grabbed a box and after a few minutes of watching the bat fly around, followed it into my room and opened the one window without a screen. Eventually she caught it in the box and then just threw the whole thing out the window (3 stories up). She opened the door laughing. I can just imagine watching the box flying out the window from the third floor.

There's a reason she's a bio major with an ecology concentration and I study cities. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I hear your pain. Last week we had a 3 or 4 foot lizard come into our house. It tried escaping through closed doors, climbing halfway up. Finally, Fahim, my hero, opened the garage door and gave it a clear line of escape. It left.

Unfortunately, the rest of its family is still on our roof. And it probably rejoined them, too.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Last week we had a 3 or 4 foot lizard come into our house
Eeeek!
[Eek!] [Angst] [Cry]

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I even have pictures. [Big Grin] I'll post a link after I post the pics. But yeah, it was pretty "Eeeek!"
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in a very large political science class in college, there was a bat one day. This other girl and I watched that bat crawl very, very slowly arount on the carpeted steps. No flying, no noises. Finally it got near enough to some guy on the football team that he screamed and jumped up and pointed. The whole class freaked out. The teacher was not at all impressed with hysterics and made us move away and give the bat his own area of the room and then we finished lecture. I wanted to stay right where I was but he wasn't having that.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

- posted      Profile for Miriya   Email Miriya         Edit/Delete Post 
Bats. *shudder*

Before I started having my kids I worked at the Writing Centre at the local University. It was located on the top floor of the library which was a big ugly hollow 70s concrete building. The biology department on Campus raised bats and I imagine all the ones that got away took residence in the library. Whenever I worked late I could hear them in the ceiling of my office. It was eerie.

I recall a student coming into the centre, to the office of one of our student advisors, to let us know there was a dead bat on the floor. That went down in our history as one of the oddest student inquiries we ever got. (yes there WAS a dead bat on the floor; we called the front desk of the library and let them deal with it). Icky.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Once I was standing on the dock of my uncle's pond and I saw something flying/falling from the sky. It was around dusk. The thing fell right at my feet and I realized it was a bat. Well I gently put my foot on it and picked it up by the ends of its wings. I held it up to look at it and WHOOSH something flew up right toward my face and almost hit me. After a stunned moment I realized what had happened. I had picked up TWO bats that had been mating. One of the coolest things to ever happen to me.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I like your friend, kojabu -- she sounds like me!

Friends are always calling me over when something like that freaks them - because it doesn't bother me in the slightest...

...like the time I had to fish a rat snake out of a toilet (it had come up the sewer system, and a lady had gone in to use the toilet, and... well you get the picture).

I easily snabbed it up, put it in a pillowcase and let it go out in the country.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
Some kids in my neighborhood were playing with a dead bat once. They ended up throwing it in a canal.

For safetey reasons, all four of them had to go through the entire rabies vaccination process (couldn't find the body and prove it didn't have rabies.)

We had one clinging to the ceiling for an entire church service once. Even our awful singing didn't wake it up.

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Farmgirl, this same friend got rid of a squirrel the other day at 8 in the morning when no one else is awake. I don't know what we'll do when she leaves. [Eek!]
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
When we first moved down South--in fact, our first day--we found a huge copperhead in one of the toilets in our new house.

[shudder]

Scared me out of there for a week.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously the bat flying around in your home is a clear sign that you should put on a cape and fight crime. It only makes sense.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Hah, see the funny thing is that if I had to pick a superhero alterego, it would be Batman. There is a way to alter my last name so that it becomes batman and this one kid used to sing the batman theme as I went by him in HS.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Crotalus:
Once I was standing on the dock of my uncle's pond and I saw something flying/falling from the sky. It was around dusk. The thing fell right at my feet and I realized it was a bat. Well I gently put my foot on it and picked it up by the ends of its wings. I held it up to look at it and WHOOSH something flew up right toward my face and almost hit me. After a stunned moment I realized what had happened. I had picked up TWO bats that had been mating. One of the coolest things to ever happen to me.

Sorry, this just totally made me laugh.

In the future, don't pick up any bats, OK? [ROFL]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Was the bat...in the box when it fell out of the window? Like, trapped in the box? Or was the box just used to transport the bat to the window? [Confused]
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

My friend caught it in the box, and then didn't know how to get it out of my room so she just threw the whole thing out the window. It was the only way she could think of to make sure it definately left and didn't fly back in. Then she got all scared that she had hurt the bat so we went outside to make sure it wasn't dead or anything.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
One morning I woke up really early because there was this weird squeaking noise coming from around my bed. A bat was crawling on the floor and it looked unable to fly. The only way I could think it could have gotten in was that my cat must have caught it around the floo grate in the fireplace. [Angst]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw poor bat.
I like bats. They are rather cute.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Then she got all scared that she had hurt the bat so we went outside to make sure it wasn't dead or anything.
Ok, good. [Smile] I was worried that the bat got hurt.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too. I'm glad it was okay.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.