FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Grammar Question

Author Topic: Grammar Question
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious as to what the rules are for correct usages of the word "whom" rather than "who". Would someone be so kind as to expound them to me in (intelligible to the layman) detail?

I've realized that the only rule I'm following is whether or not it sounds stupid to me. Which probably makes me right alot of the time, but not consistently, since I'm simply following a rule that I've assimilated unconsciously through reading.

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The complete explanation:

http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20021113.html

The short rule:

quote:
if you can replace a word with "he" or "she," then it is the subject of the sentence and you should use "who." If you can replace the word with "him" or "her," it is the object and you should use "whom."

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure you use whom when it follows a preposition.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Whom is the objective. Who is the subjective. If someone is doing something, they're a who. If someone is having something done to them, they're a whom. A good test is the "he/him" (or she/her) test. Make the question a statement (turn it around.) For example, to find out whether you've got the person you want on the phone, you want to know whether to ask "Who am I speaking to?" or "To whom am I speaking?" So, turn it around: "I am speaking to he" or "I am speaking to him"? In this case, it's obviously "him", therefore, whom. (If it turns out "he", it's a "who", "him", it's a "whom".)

But in casual usage, "who" is most often used even when it really should be "whom", and no one really minds much.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Indirect objects!
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Slowpokes. [Razz]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
You use "whom" when you want to sound snooty or like you know the rules of English better than the person you are addressing (or rather, to whom your remarks are addressed). Example: "Whom do you think you are?"

You use who when you want to show anger or overt contempt. Example: "Who do you think you are?"

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone.

[Laugh] Bob

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
lol

In that case, Bob, you'd use "whom" to show that you want to sound snooty but don't know how. [Big Grin]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Him: To whom are you referring?
Me: I'm referring to her.
Her: Whom, me?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Whom's on first!
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Every time you use whom incorrectly, God kills a kitten.

Please, think of the kittens.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] JonBoy
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starr R
Member # 8361

- posted      Profile for Starr R   Email Starr R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Please, think of the kittens.
[ROFL]
Jon Boy's comments always crack me up.

Posts: 68 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Simpler than your explanation, Dagonee:

Who - subject; whom - object.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Whom do my Royal Subjects think they are, throwing rotten tomatoes at my golden carriage as I tour their bucolic hovels?

Works for me! [Wink]

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it should be who in that case. "it is he", not "it is him", "I am he", not "I am him" so "who do my Royal Subjects think they are".

Ha!

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
No comma. Just the way I was taught.

But ... one of English's strengths is it's ability to remain comprehendible even when it is spoken or writen badly. One of the reasons it has survived and thrived for so long.

It'll always change and adapt ... so I'm not too mcuh of a stickler!

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
But ... one of English's strengths is it's ability to remain comprehendible even when it is spoken or writen badly.
Ah! Meta-proof!
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Simpler than your explanation, Dagonee:
Who - subject; whom - object.

Less complete, yes. Simpler, no. You assume knowledge of a particular point of grammar, namely, the difference between object and subject. I quote a technique for implementing that rule.
digging_holes
Member # 6237

Exactly. I never went to an English school, and therefore never learned English grammar, and I didn't pay attention to the rules in my French classes either. My knowledge of grammar is almost exclusively instinctive. Were you to ask me what the difference between a subject and an object were, I would have a little trouble answering.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.