FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » You know you're playing too much OGame when....

Author Topic: You know you're playing too much OGame when....
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
1) You reset your alarm to match the return of your ships from a fleetsave.

2) You get your students to do exercises so that you have a few minutes to check whether you've got enough res to level up.

3) You worry about leaving stuff in your car in case it gets fleetcrashed.

3.a) You seriously consider asking a friend to drive your car around all night while you sleep.

3.b) You dismiss the idea as silly. You and your friend might get IP banned.

4) You start thinking about how much res your real-life neighbour might have, and wonder if a fleet of cruisers might do the job.

5) You tell your spouse that you'd like to buy/rent another house, but on the other side of the city. When she asks why, you say "Oh. You know. Raiding."

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
This is why I no longer play OGame. To do well, you have to obsess. I prefer games like KoL, which aren't on the clock.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
KoL? explain, I'm still striving for the perfect text based MMO, Star-Fury came close but neh, wasn't good enough maximum of 12 ships and 3 fleets *grumble*.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still playing in Universe 6, slowly building up until I've got everything in the tech tree (and they just added two new things). I don't raid, and nobody seems to raid to me. It's slow going, but it only takes 5 or so minutes of my day.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean
Member # 689

- posted      Profile for Sean   Email Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
It felt tremendously liberating the first time I finished up at work and just immediately left rather than setting up everything so that nothing bad would happen in OGame while I was gone.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
KoL is Kingdom of Loathing, which is a very funny game. The characters are stick figures, there's a lot you would have to see to understand. You get a set number of adventures per day, but can adventure longer by eating or drinking. Drinking too much gets your character drunk. The means of exchange is meat.

On the topic of Ogame, they opened up Universe 8. I had already set my Universe 5 and 6 accounts to self-destruct, and did the same for Universe 7. I'm starting off brand-new in Uni8. I hope that since I know a little better what I'm doing, and only have one account to deal with, I'll do a little better. My obsession was fueled by the fact that I had multiple accounts.

I started a Jatraqueros alliance there, in case anyone wants to join. The tag is jtrqr.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I just started playing KoL again about a week ago. They've added new stuff, and it seems more balanced now -- there's not as much adventuring in the same place over and over while you wait to be strong/magical/moxious enough to go into new areas.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. I might have to do that.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
How's Ogame going?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
I also am still simply building stuff up in Universe 6, not raiding anyone but constantly being raided by one annoying player. I've been addicted to colonization lately, mostly for the fun of seeing what the new planet looked like. It's like those surprise treat bags from when I was a kid. However, today, my new planet turned out to be a twin to my 2nd newest planet, and the fun is suddenly gone.
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the alliance ranking in uni7?
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I apologize for not logging on ogame for quite a while. Sorry guys! [Frown]

Big thanks to Kwea for helping me out. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
You know you are obsessed with ogame when....

1. you make accounts in other universes so you can gain access to other alliances forums (by becoming a member in that universe).

2. you set your alarm clock every time you get up from the computer.

3. you bow out of a poker game and forfeit your pile because you know some one is about to attack you (i was loosing the card game anyways)

4. you get everyone you know to try it just so you have known farms when they quit

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
"3. you bow out of a poker game and forfeit your pile because you know some one is about to attack you (i was loosing the card game anyways)"

Ehhh, I take poker over Ogame anyday. Was it a tourney and you just forfeited the tourney?

Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Porter, if you do (assuming you were refering to KoL), let me know. I'm almost at level 7, so we could start a clan.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
1. You stay up well past when you should just so you can safety probe on an attack that lands at 1:45 in the morning. Then, you decide you should stay up till 3 so you can send off another raid when that one comes back.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

2. You keep clicking refresh to see your metal resource grow from 2639 to 2640. Repeat 1000 times.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
We seem to be doing pretty well in Uni7 - Alliance rank 31.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
yes, it was a tournament style game... i was short stacked and the next closest person to me had 30 dollars more than me (i had like $3.40)
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

There is a clan in Kingdom of Loathing for Jatraqueros - the only problem is that we apparently lost someone high up who had the power to do stuff and now we can't do certain things (like take things out of the stash). What's going on with that, anyway - anyone know?
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm quite fond of Legend of the Green Dragon, myself. I have three dragon kills thus far.

http://www.lotgd.org

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Your wife is jealous of the computer because you are now spending more time with it than with her.

2. You can't figure out why you are so tired..even though you went to bed at 3:30 am and had to be up for work at 7.

3. Your wife is jealous of the damned computer and that stupid game!

4. Your wife and friends think something is seriously wrong and you are injured when you yell an expletive while driving the car..., then just get pissed as you say something like " I lost a million res to that guy. I can't believe I missed it by 2 minutes. If I'd been there instead of watching that movie with you it never would have happened"

(take the hint guys....leave the computer and spend some time with your sweetie before they decide to put a hammer through your screen! [Wave] )

(from a wife who is seriously tired of this game and the amount of time her husband sits in front of the computer playing it! [Cry] )

- "O Game Widow"

Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
WEll, now that my wife has chimed in, here is my side of it:

We don't DO anything. Ever. Well, almost ever. I mean, we do go to my parents house on weekends, but when we are there for some reason never quite makes it to the beach..

And every night we HAVE to watch TV...and not just TV but HER shows, shows I care very little about. How many crime dramas can a person watch in a week, anyway? [Wink]

I prefer to be doing something, even if it is just messing around on the computer. Also, since we got this computer my weekly expenses have dropped to almost nothing. I don't ever go out dancing any more, because Jenni doesn't like loud music (and she gets up for work at 6:15 am every day [Big Grin] ), and since most of my friends work at clubs I don't see them much any more either... [Big Grin]

I use to go out almost ever night and play pool. I use to work until 5 am every day, so my sleep patterns are messed up anyway....just look at when I am posting on Hatrack, it is usually late nite. I have NEVER been one of those guys to go to sleep early, I always stayed up late...either drinking with my friends or at home reading a book alone, and I will probably always be that way. [Big Grin]

I am thinking about quitting ogame for a number of reasons, mostly because the better you get the more time it takes. Right now I have made a decision to keep playing for a while, but probably not much longer, and I am quitting some of the Uni's I was playing. I am also moving my fleets to areas that are a little less competitve, so I can leave them alone sometimes. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

quote:
from a wife who is seriously tired of this game and the amount of time her husband sits in front of the computer playing it!
But when Kwea conquers the ogame universe, you can reign alongside him as the high queen of geekdom. [Wink]

In our defense, that game is really addictive.

JenniK
Member # 3939

Beren, thank you for that uplifting thought. "Kween" of the geeks indeed..... that would be "Her Royal Majesty, JenniK, Queen of CyberGeeks, TechNerds, and
GameDweebs"
now ... [Hail] bow before me all insolent peasants of geekdom! TekGamCyberia (pronounced tek-hum sibeereeya) is mine to rule! It is good to be Tek-Kween! [Taunt]

Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

Kwea now says he'll never rule as he has too much of a real life to ever be #1! However, he will be someone no one wants to mess with... not even the #1 guy.

"Yeah for Alliance Depots, bring on the ACS!"

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

"Kween" [Smile]

I like that!

[Hail] [Hail] [Hail]

Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Tom, speaking of KoL--what happened to the big huge thread about it? And is that one site with all the item combinations and recipes still open?
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I started all over in KoL again today.

Anybody want to invite me into their clan?

dkw?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

I'm on it.
dkw
Member # 3264

Clan Chapeaustand is now accepting applications.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I'll have to wait until tomorrow when I get to level 3.

BTW, where's a good place early on to rais my moxie? I'm a disco bandit.

dkw
Member # 3264

The Sleazy back alley. And when you get 5 spider webs take them to the gourd tower.
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
JenniK, I feel your pain. I'm a Worlds of Warcraft widow.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Ah, that's right. That's what I get for listening to that stupid Toot Oriel.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Applied and waiting authorization.
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
A neat fringe benefit of my relationship with Chris is that I can normally play as much on the computer as I want, especially since he's glad I'm occupied while he's on his computer playing something. And even better, we're often on our own computers playing the same game. [Smile]

He's addicted to City of Heroes. I play with him a lot, but not even half as much as he plays that. Lately I've been playing Neverwinter Nights. [Smile]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Clan Chapeaustand is now accepting applications.
Clever. I love it.

Do NOT get me started on that game again. I just can't....I have a life.

Or at least I'd like to think I do.

*resists the urge*

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And even better, we're often on our own computers playing the same game.
And this is why Jim keeps trying to get me to play Worlds of Warcraft. I just don't have time for another computer-related addiction in my life, though.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone remember the KoL site I'm talking about? The one where you could look up any item, and find out what it did, where you could find it, and what you could combine it with? Personally, that site made the game a lot, um...easier.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I haven't found that old one, but here's a different one:

http://kol.coldfront.net/

dkw
Member # 3264

I have two of the old sites bookmarked at home. I'll link them tonight.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Dana:

I applied to your clan. I'm tired of being in a clan where I can contribute to the stash but can't get anything out.

dkw
Member # 3264

I shall go immediately to let you in. Even though my character is falling-down drunk at this time, I believe I am still able to perform the functions of government.

I'm pretty sure there's a parable in that.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.