FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Convince me I want to keep reading Game of Thrones(no spoilers please)

Author Topic: Convince me I want to keep reading Game of Thrones(no spoilers please)
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm about halfway through. It's very well-written and all that, but the story is beginning to kill me. Everyone who is the least bit likeable is in a very bad place. He's making me hate the Lannisters (except maybe the dwarf) so much that I think I would rather not read any more of it without some assurane that they get some comeuppence before the end of this book. I know the story goes on forever, and isn't finished yet, but I'm not sure I have the patience for it.

Honestly, I may not be cut out for these interminable fantasy epics. I can't stand Robert Jordan's ... stuff, but that may have been his writing style more than anything. I never got far enough into it to discover the story. Kept falling asleep. *shrug*

So, can you tell me if this book is in any way satisfying? I mean, SOME of the tensions are resolved, right? Because if it isn't, I can't handle it. I'm about to have eye surgery, and it will probably be the end of September before reading is entirely comfortable again.

Advise me, O Wise Hatrack

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Liv, it's tough. I mean, I'm not going to lie to you, some of what is bothering you is only going to get worse.

However, it's brilliantly written, and the story is engrossing, and I think it's worth sticking out.

Some characters you hate now, you may well come to like and even pull for later. Some characters you like now you may turn against.

I do think it's worth it to hang in there, though.

Your hatred against the Lannisters is completely understandable. All I can say is some of that may change as characters are revealed to you. Then again, it may not.

Only you can decide if you want to keep going. All I can tell you is more than once I've wanted to throw them across the room and never pick up anything of Martin's again. And yet, I'm eagerly awaiting the next volume and I think he's quite probably the best fantasy writer since Tolkien.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
It will get worse before it gets better.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree. It's torture to read his books because of the tension and how well written it is. You read because you're dragged along by the tension and the story and you want to stop but you can't stop reading, and you hate and love the book for it at the same time.

It's nothing like Jordan. I'm not even going to pick up one of his books again, but I will buy the GRRM book when it comes out, because I want to know what happens.

Maybe you should wait till it's all finished so there's enough resolution. I think I should have. But damn, they're good books.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
With one exception, things don't get better for anyone in the trilogy, and they get a lot worse. I can't tell you any plainer than that.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with everyone so far, Olivia, but darn it, I wouldn;t stop reading it for the world. It is one of the best things I have ever read. I say go for it, then hold your family close and say, "This is real, that is fiction."
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I'm a bit confused, you are halfway through A Game of Thrones?

Can you tell me what part you are at? I think that will help me understand your predicament.

I don't want to spoil anything for you, but its very difficult to try and reassure you without doing just that.

Edit: But let me add that I think that not only is the series the best fantasy ever written, but the best series of books ever written, period [Smile] . I can't imagine stopping reading them, though it did get tough to continue at times.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Ned just broke his leg trying to save his men from being killed by Lannister. And Caitlyn is up in the high tower with her crazy sister and still-breastfeeding nephew.

I am ill.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Okay, thanks.

Well, ummm, yeah...

Hmmmm...

I suppose all I can tell you is "Stay strong!".

And remember, this is an epic. This is not an epic like Robert Jordan's crap, or even like JRRT's idealism. Bad things happen to good characters. Such is life, and in my opinion, such is good fiction.

But while it may seem that all the misfortune is one sided at some points, I can assure you that it doesn't remain that way.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Xav, you're still in trouble for recommending GRRM.

OH CRAP...I just realized I haven't answered a certain someone's email. I suck. *runs off*

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

He's making me hate the Lannisters (except maybe the dwarf) so much that I think I would rather not read any more of it without some assurane that they get some comeuppence before the end of this book.

Um....
Okay, I'll say this: by the end of this book, nothing you want to have happened will have happened. Things get much, much, much worse than you can possibly -- at this point -- imagine them getting. The Lannisters do eventually receive some comeuppance, but it's not what you're anticipating and it's not from a quarter you expect.

Let's put it this way: there are moments in the latest book in which you find yourself rooting for Jaime Lannister, no matter how hard it is to imagine that now.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kettricken
Member # 8436

- posted      Profile for Kettricken   Email Kettricken         Edit/Delete Post 
It is worth continuing and unexpected things do happen. You will also change who you like / dislike to some extend (some characters will remain ones you root for). One of the reasons for this is the point of view character changes much more than in most books. Initially you see things mainly from the Starks point of view, later you see why other characters act as they do and that changes how you see them. This especially affects the Lannisters – you start to see them as individuals, good and bad traits not just as one nasty group.

If you want a series when you are confident that good will win out over evil (and you know what good and evil are) from start to finish this is not the series for you. If you want to be surprised at every turn, sometimes for the worse then it is an excellent series. I’ve no idea how it will end – bring on the next book!

Posts: 169 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I'm perfectly okay with blurred lines between 'good guys' and 'bad guys'. Thing is, I can't really stand most of the Starks, right now. I don't like Eddard or Caitlyn (especially not Caitlyn, for some reason). I kind of like the one Stark daughter, the crippled Stark son, Snow and the dwarf. The dragon girl I'm indifferent to. I usually don't like fantasy with too much Dragon-related crap, though I sort of enjoyed this.

Right now, I just sort of wish the Big Bad Winter would come and kill them all, so I won't have to slog through their depressing misery anymore.

punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
How timely Hatrack can be. I just picked up A Game of Thrones and voila a thread appears as if by magic. I've only read about 50 pages so far so I have no distinct impressions as yet. I'll stay the course given all the encouragment that Olivet is receiving.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Olivet, based on your last post I would completely tell you to keep reading.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you on that, Olivet. I don't particularly care for Caitlyn either, especially after
SPOILERS for anyone who has read nothing at all, safe for you Olivet

she told Jon that she wished it had been him that got crippled instead of Bran.

I like Jon, I like Bran. I personally like Daenerys a lot, but I seem to be in the minority there.

I *think*, emphasis on think, that Jon is one of the major characters and there is a better than even chance that it's safe for you to like him. By safe I mean he seems like he'll actually be a heroic character.

I wasn't going to say that one day you'd pull for Jaime, but someone already did so I'll tell you that the day I found myself caring about Jaime was the day I realized Martin has to be one of the best writers, ever. For me to feel for and be sympathetic toward a character that threw a child out of a window and is shacking up with his own sister, well, that takes talent.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I like Daenerys quite a bit. I'm sort of pulling for her. I'm just not big into the whole 'magical dragon eggs' thing. And I don't really care about anything going on in that storyline.

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
For me to feel for and be sympathetic toward a character that threw a child out of a window and is shacking up with his own sister, well, that takes talent.

Yeah, No arguments there. We'll see, I guess. I seem to remember a story where a semi-heroic character raped a little girl, and I spent the rest of the story hoping he'd die some horrible death. He didn't, though. Which is fine, as long as I wasn't supposed to identify with him. But I have the snaeking feeling a was supposed to. Just didn't happen. Never got to like that Donaldson 'Half-hand' guy, either.
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Based on what you've said, I'm going to have to go against the grain and say you may not want to keep reading Game of Thrones. I mean, it's a great book, one of my favorites, but from what you've said, you dislike all the things that Martin is known for. Some books just aren't for everyone.

If you really -do- want to keep trying, I'd recommend setting AGoT aside for the moment, picking up copies of Legends I and Legends II (anthologies edited by Silverberg), and reading Martin's two short stories set in Westeros. They're short, self-contained, much less bleak, and have more sympathetic characters. Reading them might pull you into the world itself enough to help you enjoy the main books more.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I have one of those, I think. I did read the Daenerys portion of Game of Thrones once. A long time ago. I think her chapters were published in Asimov's as a novella or something.

Actually, I didn't read all of that either. Don't care much for dragons, you know, but my Beloved read it and told me about it.

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with others and say that it's a most excellant book. George R.R. Martin actually ruined reading for me for a bit after I finished what's written so far of the series because nothing else I picked up was nearly as good.

That said, I'm a fiend for book punishment, me thinks. Rarely, if ever, will I not finish a book once I've begun it. These are not always pleasant books, and a good many bad things happen to characters you're rooting for in them. Why not make it a goal to read at least 100 more pages before deciding for certain? There *are* a few good things sprinkled in, and as someone mentioned, you will actually find yourself re-thinking impressions of certain characters.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cr1spy
Member # 8407

- posted      Profile for Cr1spy   Email Cr1spy         Edit/Delete Post 
I quit half way through the second book. Occasionally I consider picking them back up again, but I never do.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thing is, I can't really stand most of the Starks, right now. I don't like Eddard or Caitlyn (especially not Caitlyn, for some reason).
And Belle! Yay, I'm not alone! I never liked Caitlyn. It wasn't just the thing Belle mentioned, it was more than that. I mean, she isn't bad or anything, but she kept doing stuff that I just wouldn't choose to do myself. And yet completely human and believable.

And Olivet, I always liked Daenerys. [Smile] Her young, shy, hesitant self reminds me of myself as a youth. And her strength is at once admirable and terribly frightening--at times appaling.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, this thread just made me spend 45 minutes digging through boxes trying to find the copy of aGoT I picked up on high recommendation, but never got around to reading. I hate you all.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
We love you too.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Yeah. I must just be going through a moody phase. I normally love authors who torture their characters. [Wink]

I DO like daenerys a lot. I'm just a bit ambivalent about dragons in fantasy. But it really has been a good read... I'll sleep on it, I guess.

Olivet
Member # 1104

Taal, have you read Harry Potter yet? Read that one first - it's a much quicker read and I want to hear your thoughts on it.
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read HP yet. I'm, like, the only one in the world who hasn't.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

No, I haven't read it yet either, Taal. [Smile]

And I've always been creeped out by Jaime. 'cause the name is similar to mine. o_O

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Taal, let me know what you think of it when you read it...I'm being persuaded to read. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tanman1975
Member # 1444

- posted      Profile for tanman1975   Email tanman1975         Edit/Delete Post 
Ned breaks his leg? Ah crap. I haven't gotten that far yet.
Posts: 69 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
"And I've always been creeped out by Jaime. 'cause the name is similar to mine. o_O"

More similar to mine than yours. I have the first 3 paperbacks in that series but never got around to reading them. I want to now, but now I have school books to read and school's starting soon. [Grumble]

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say don't bother. I read the first 3, and I thought they kept going downhill (I never picked up the 4th).
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Here I was about to post a response to Olivet, having never read most of the posts, and suddenly realized that this thread was created a year ago. So I guess she doesn't need my input at this point.

The weird thing is, I was just sitting at my computer debating with myself. Am I going to work any more tonight? Should I watch TV or a video? Or should I go to the library and check out A Storm of Swords?

So of course I picked D: Go check out Hatrack. And came across this thread. Do you think it's a sign that I should have picked C? ;-)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if Olivet actually continued the series. It's well worth it, in my opinion. My most favoritest characters aren't even introduced in the first book.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. She's gotten about halfway through it, as I recall.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILERS!!

quote:
I suppose all I can tell you is "Stay strong!".
[ROFL]

So true. If she was depressed while Ned was still alive...oh dear.

But I'm going to join the rest of the chorus and say I absolutely fell in with these stories. I was just thinking this today as I was reading "A Song for Arbonne", by Guy Gavriel Kay (has anyone else read this series?? Thoughts??) that while I was enjoying myself and wanted to know what came next, it didn't hold a candle to GRRM.

Edited to say: whoops, just noticed the date on this thread. Oh well...

[ July 31, 2006, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: Kasie H ]

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Uh, Kasie, you might want to remove the spoiler there.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
No Crap.

And Olivet is firmly entrenched in "not going to read A Song of Ice and Fire" land.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops!

I'm sorry...I read it so long ago, I feel should almost be common knowledge.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shepherd
Member # 7380

- posted      Profile for Shepherd           Edit/Delete Post 
KEEP READING. You eventually get into the heads of some of those you hate later on, and it's fascinating. The entire story is brilliantly written. KEEP READING!!!!
Posts: 242 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
At SDCC, George R.R. Martin was asked which of the characters of A Song of Ice and Fire most resembled him. He stated that there's really a bit of him in each and every character.

Somebody in the audience called out- "Cersei?!?"

His facial expression got a big laugh. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.