FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ball/prom/ whateveryouguyscallit ideas please

Author Topic: Ball/prom/ whateveryouguyscallit ideas please
Kiwi
Member # 7982

- posted      Profile for Kiwi   Email Kiwi         Edit/Delete Post 
So in a week I'm going to the Law Ball. The theme is Moulin Rouge. I have the dress and the boy. And it's gonna be awesome. [Wink]

However. The dress I'm going to wear isn't particularly Moulin Rouge theme-like, but I really like it, have only worn it once, and don't have time, money, or inclination to get yet another ball dress I will only wear once.

Therefore it's accessories and hair style ideas that I'm after.

Suggestions?

--tt&t

Posts: 69 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
A mask would be cheap and effective.

One of the glittery ones with lots of feathers would look particularly fab.

You will also then be the mystery girl at the ball and do doubt get all sorts of attention.

I hope it goes well. Will you report back?

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
What does your dress look like? Color, style, etc. would help with this question. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Dress.

Hmm, mask is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. I was also thinking I might like to wear long white gloves, but I'm not sure if it would suit.

It's been suggested that I put "something", possibly "something with feathers" in my hair, but that's pretty much as far as I've got with the hair thing. I know I want it up, or at least most of it up...

[Smile]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
How many people who go do you think will actually follow the theme?
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Long black gloves.

Specifically, in crushed velvet. Long dark blue gloves would work, too.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Or long red gloves. I'm thinking accessorize in red with white accents, lots of feathers, and fishnet stockings with red pumps.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

I'm not sure how many people will follow the theme, maybe 40% did last year but that was Kill Bill. I think at least some people will, and I'd kinda like to, but I don't want to get too carried away. [Razz]

I thought of black gloves, but wouldn't they be too dark? Ok who am I kidding, I have no idea about what goes with what. Which is why I'm not going to admit that the red on blue doesn't appeal to me *that* much, I think I'd have to see it first... Fishnet stockings though, now that I can do. *grin*

Also, what kind of shoe is a pump? [Smile]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The red would have to be a pretty particular shade to not clash with that color blue, IMO.

Black would be fine, not too dark at all; Moulin Rouge is a dark film with lots of mystery. Even in its brightest moments we see the light because it emerges out of shadow.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure about the gloves in conjunction with the shawl. But if you decide to do gloves, I'd stick with black.

I absolutely LOVE the idea of a decorated mask. Feathery and glittery and gorgeous. And that partially takes care of "do something with your hair".

As for the hair itself, I think I'd go with a simple French twist, especially if you're going to mask. You don't want to distract too much from that.

Now if only this had come up last September... our office complex hosted a craft show in our plaza and there were four mask companies that had tables. I could have given you lots of websites.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

The shawl was last time. Probably won't wear it this time. [Smile]

Ok, I like the idea of black gloves. Tick. (assuming I can find some, that shouldn't be too hard right?)

Still unsure on the mask, I can't quite get a picture in my head... also, how does one fix makeup so as to be able to take off the mask and not look, well, plain or smudged? Or is it compulsory to wear all night long.

Would a feather boa be appropriate? I don't recall if they wear them in the movie. And if so, what colour?

This is going to be fun. [Smile]

tt&t
Member # 5600

Gloves found. I shall try on and purchase tomorrow... after my exam which I really should be studying more for right now. Siiiigh.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, is it blue? I thought it was black. Nix the red.

Use black, white, blue, or silver instead.

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the feathers in the hair idea!

Also, you need something SPARKLY.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely agree on the black gloves. Are you set on having your hair up? I don't remember how long your hair is, but if it's long enough I would set it in hot rollers and then pin it so it cascades over one shoulder. You can have a couple feathers in the pins, if you want, so they stick out in the same direction as the hair goes. If you do this, I would not do a mask, but do very dramatic make-up instead. Add as high of black heels as you're comfortable dancing in, and you're fabulous.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Use pins with rhinestones on the end! But don't stick feathers in if you do that, although a multi-feathered barrette on the side with the pinned-up hair would be good.
tt&t
Member # 5600

Have just been informed that I may not wear a mask. [Razz]

My hair is currently just below shoulders, but goes kinda poofy if it's not fixed back. Which is unfortunate.

I do have high black heels, and dramatic make up can be done, though.

Hmmmm.

ElJay
Member # 6358

If you do decide you want to wear it back, I'd go for the feather boa. You would probably want to rent one, they're pretty expensive for a nice, full one. (I'd loan you mine, but I doubt it would get there in time.)

Moulin Rouge, to me, says show-girl luxurious. Loose, curled hair is an easy way to get that across, but so are feathers. [Smile] Or rhinestone hairpins and a glittery necklace might be fun.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Why no mask?

I think something like this or this would work. If no mask, then perhaps a headpiece might work?

(Or you could try to get your hands on something like this, but that seems impractical. Or perhaps a sparkly tophat?)

I could see velvet gloves, as were suggested. But another option is fishnet gloves and fishnet stockings.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

Oooh, I like this mask, and the top hat. Not together. [Razz]

No mask because boy says so. Teehee. In regards to the above blue one he says
quote:
thats pretty awesome, but i'd prefer your face
[Cool]

I will talk to my hairdresser re the possibility of me actually having loose curled hair in a non-dangerous way, cos I do like the look of it. And I'll check at the gloves place tomorrow for top hats. Alternatively, feathers or rhinestone hairpins sound good.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Tickets are sold out, so it should be a fun night.

___

Edit: update on what I'm allowed to wear [Wink] :

quote:
you wear what you want and i'll take it off if i want to [Big Grin]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
He's taking this theme rather literally . . .
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

[Smile] Can't wait to see pictures!
tt&t
Member # 5600

*laugh*

Tsk, Rivka! He's very sweet & innocent. As, of course, am I. ::halo::

Pictures are good. [Smile]

Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
showey jewelry *nods head*
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

Okay, I have the gloves. I like them. [Smile]

However, I tried to find a girly top hat this morning - no luck. Tried on boys ones - they look funny. And not in a good way. So no go on the hat.

I also have been unable to get my hands on a feather boa. Should I continue the search or would a feather boa be too much, with the gloves as well? I only ask because I haven't been able to find a picture in which gloves and boa look good. But I'm not even sure of the proper method of wearing one.

As to jewellery, would a black choker type necklace be appropriate? Not the studded kind. [Razz]

Just curious. [Smile]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
have the dress and the boy.
Put the boy in the dress--very Moulin Rouge-esque.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

It would only come down to his knees, and he won't wax his legs. Alas!
ElJay
Member # 6358

Gloves and boas look great together. Lemme see if I can find mine, I know where the boa is, but I'm not sure where the gloves are. . .

A black choker would work if you're going with the gloves and boa. If you don't, I'd go for something that cascades down towards your cleavage. Preferably with lots of sparkles. [Big Grin]

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
How about a faux fur stole?
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

tt&t, go to the fabric store. Look in the "formal" section, and you should find feather-boa-on-a-roll, which they will cut to your desired length for you!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.