FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Colors!

Author Topic: Colors!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Lookit!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
O.o

I found the first illusion the most impressive.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
The first and third are pretty cool.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, the second one was lame. It was obvious they were the same color.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen the first one before, so the third one was definately my favorite.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
C-O-L-O-U-R-S
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

[Roll Eyes]
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Head. About. Asplode.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the first one is accurate...

I could see a difference between the swatch and both tiles, both before and after I masked it. Anyone else?

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Huh.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Part of the problem with the first one is that it is take from a JPEG image, so the colors are not constant.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, they really need to do lossless compression on these.

I liked the third one. Very well done.

I made some color copies of some old placemats. The copier could not copy to the edge of the paper. When they came out, there was a 1/8 inch border of white surrounding a field of greenish-yellow. Not just a light tinting - it was like someone had colored it in with pastels.

I was very annoyed with the copier until I held the original next to it. The background was the exact same shade. Yet everyone I asked basically thought the background on the originals was white, maybe a little yellowed with age. No one saw the green in it until I showed them the copies.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
I don't think the first one is accurate...

I could see a difference between the swatch and both tiles, both before and after I masked it. Anyone else?

Me too. I think it's worse on the third one, though.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Um did anyone else think the last one on the right *still* looked more yellow with the mask on? I mean, yeah the colors are closer than without the mask--but with they still didn't look the same to me. [Dont Know]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Weirdness...
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
#1 totally baffled me. Usually, once it's pointed out, I can see that the colors are the same. OR, I can squint and focus in on just the bits that are of interest. In the case of #1, I could only do it with the swatch. It's bizarre.

#2 is obvious.

#3 is strange, but it's so complex that I find the illusion not all that powerful. The piece of interest is too small a bit of the entire graphic.

But still, fun stuff.

I love human perception.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

i think the first one was a fake, I noticed it chnage colours as I moved the swatch.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

woot I got the last post again!
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe consider printing it out and cutting out the swatch to see if you don't believe?
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
<running to avoid Brian's brainsplatter>
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. The first one looks the most different to me - had to use the swatch. But the other two, I could see the colours were the same without the mask/swatch. Weird.

In the third, it says one looks grey and the other yellow -- which one is supposed to look yellow? Both look grey to me.

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool, rivka.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

In the third one, the left cross looks purple while the right cross looks yellow to me.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested to hear from some color-blind men (okay, or women, but it's so unusual) about the last one.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I'd be even more interested in hearing from some tetrachromates.
?
Member # 2319

- posted      Profile for ?   Email ?         Edit/Delete Post 
lottolab

Here's the website for the guy who actually researched the illusions. Most of them I wasn't impressed with. A couple of them it's obvious the colors change. A couple of them did impress me though.

?

Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.