FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Yo web gurus... what's a good PHP stat tracker?

Author Topic: Yo web gurus... what's a good PHP stat tracker?
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the title pretty much says it all... I'm looking for a PHP-based (or at least not CGI or Perl) log analyzer that can tell me where folks are coming from, what search keyphrases are landing them here, and what types of computers they're using. And above all I'd like a nice organized interface, like the old AWStats that I used to use.

Any ideas? [Smile]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how it does it, but I use www.BlogPatrol.com to track stats for my page.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need anything in PHP, most good log analyzers aren't. I suspect your web host will already have one, but if not, you might look at http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/ and http://www.analog.cx/ (note: you may well not have installation permissions needed, but I wouldn't be at all surprised were one or both of those packages already installed).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

We are our hosts, our server is sitting in our office. I'll check those packages out, thanks! [Smile]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Hmm, okay, we don't want to be running a standalone C app, if that's what webalizer is... this one looks perfect, except that it doesn't actually list IP addresses. It does everything else, though! [Razz]
fugu13
Member # 2859

*shrug* Those are two of the best free log analyzers out there; you just install them, then set up a cron job to run them periodically and put the results in a directory that's web accessible.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Yeah, but that was the problem with AWstats... it's a beast to install and configure, and needing to set up a new config and cron job for each site on the server? Ugh. It shouldn't be that complicated. The server creates the log files, all this thing has to do is display them in a nice readable fashion. [Smile]

Thanks for the pointers, though! I'll keep my eyes open.

fugu13
Member # 2859

Heh, both webalizer and analog are a breeze to install and configure; in fact, your linux distribution almost certainly has packages for both.

And as for the per site config and cron jobs, those're trivial, since you can just write a quick script that sets one up given a site name and directory to put the files in.

As for why you don't want a PHP one, log analysis requires fairly intensive processing. A PHP script that processes the log files each time will add significant load to your server when you use it (PHP grinds on programmatic image generation, plus just all the processing), will require vigilant patching as its a large potential security hole (your logs will quite possibly contain sensitive or security-related information), et cetera. I don't know how many sites you're intending on hosting, but if on a single fairly decent server you've got two or three log viewings going on at once, you may well see a noticeable slowdown in page generation.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.