FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It's enough right?

Author Topic: It's enough right?
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
19 hours straight at work is enough, right? Can I go home now?
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Go home!
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
That depends -- is it fixed now? [Smile]
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
no.
no it's not.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
You say you are working for 19 hours straight, but yet we catch you here at Hatrack.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Time spent on Hatrack cannot be deducted from one's workday.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
...otherwise I would be at work for negative hours.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Go home and sleep.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

Yeah, but while workgroup manager is copying priveleges I can do nothing else on the system.

However. It's now 5am and I'm unable to focus. So sleep it is.

Bye.

And thanks.

jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Sleep well, Troubs. That's a friggin' brutal day you've had.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Oy. Go to bed, I'll make you some hot tea in the morning.

Well, I would if I were there, I promise.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
We're tied: my record is 19 hours in a row at work. I did take 2 lunches though, and may have fallen asleep at my desk for a bit. I wasn't salaried though, so this earned me quite a bit of OT and some extra weekend bonus payouts.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
When you're bringing a pillow in so you can sleep on the floor for an hour or so before heading off to your morning meeting, THEN you can whine!

My initial foray into working at home was after a week straight of that kind of schedule. I finally got wise, told my boss I wanted to pack up my computer and work from home so I could at least sleep and not drive 40 miles each direction for nothing.

I just read an article in Time magazine about how more companies are discovering that letting people work from home saves them money and they get increased productivity.

The biggest problem they have is worker burnout when people start spending 20 hours a day working and not noticing it because "they're home."

Anyway, I hope you get some sleep. Drive carefully. Fatigue is a killer on the road!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

Totally, I was really punchy driving home, but fortunately it was 4 degrees here last night, cold enough for me to keep paying attention.

I left at around 5am and was back at work at about 11am this morning....

Whee!

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Got Coffee?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Poor baby. [Frown]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

My worst was 41 hours, but those days are (thankfully) over for residents. Was in at 5am, worked through the day, worked all through the night on call, and had to work all through the next day, too. This was before the 24h (+6 for paperwork) hour limit was imposed.

I would've gotten out at 7pm, but I made the mistake of leaving through the ED entrance, and I got sucked into an emergency. Made it out at 10pm. Thankfully, at the time I lived only blocks away.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

You know as I staggered back in today, one of our contractors compared the college admin to an emergency room - we're all working ridiculous hours and there's always massive disaster keeping us back late...

But hey Sara, I'm not sure I'd be capable of a 41 hour day.... my contact lenses were burning their way through my irises as it was!

Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
My residency was like that for two out of three years. Also, my first job post residency had weekend call every 6 weeks that was often that hellish. One memorable New Years weekend all by myself I got 12 admits in 24 hours, had approximately 40 patients to round on prior to even getting those final 12 admits, and was responsible for patients at five different hospitals (so I had driving to do during this stint) and when I gave up at six AM on Monday morning (still hadn't had time to see the most stable admit) I had to go to my clinic and work all day. Apparently the message I left for the person who took over the hospitalized patients on Monday was a doozy. I'm not EVER picking a job like that again.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to work 16 hours straight every weekeend. (Friday 6p-Sat. 10am) It was all right; I worked on a helpdesk that didn't receive a lot of phone calls, so I got to doze every now and then.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you have auto-answer on your phones there, Scott R? We do, and I'm always afraid I might doze off, and not realize it when it pings in as a call (it just beeps in my ear, then I'm on). I'm afraid they will hear my snoring....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Troubs, there are all kinds of reasons why that was a bad, bad policy. The care I gave was substandard. It would never have been my choice, and I wouldn't do it again.
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
The job I had post residency was set up like that because of all the money the other doctors could make. (I was on straight salary.) The really scary thing is, four of us left, and the two remaining guys hired a new physician out of residency and the three of them did the work of six of us. All to make the big bucks, while spreading themselves to thin for good patient care. Incredible.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.