FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Songs that Creep me Out, though I like them anyway (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Songs that Creep me Out, though I like them anyway
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
My new job is heaven. They let me listen to music! Today I heard this Morrissey song called, "The More you Ignore Me the Closer I get" which was basically a stalker song even creeperier than "I'll be Watching You" by Sting.
Then there's the Bessie Smith song where she sings, "If I get beat up by my poppa I won't call no copper."
Freaks me the hell out. But not nearly as much as a line in a Siouxie and the Banshee's song. There's something about her singing about their "Tiny hands and tiny feet" that just makes me shudder.
And do not get me started on various Dir en grey. Tsumi to Batsu, Bottom of the Death Valley and many more have the most alarming lyrics.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vid
Member # 7172

- posted      Profile for Vid   Email Vid         Edit/Delete Post 
"If I was Invisible" by Clay Aiken.

I almost got fired when I worked at Home Depot for staring a cashier in the eye and saying the lyrics of that song to her. Bad idea.

Posts: 162 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
So that's who sings that song...
That song totally creeps me out, but I don't like it. I'd hit someone if they were invisible in my room.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
"I Used to Love Her" by Guns N' Roses

My boyfriend played that for me around our second month of dating. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Hotel California
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoyHobbs
Member # 7594

- posted      Profile for RoyHobbs   Email RoyHobbs         Edit/Delete Post 
"Every Step You Take"
Sting and The Police

Very stalkerish....

Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Bette Midler's "From a Distance"

It really really bugs me. It bugs me that other people like it, and think it is a positive message. But I like the sound of the music.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything by Nine-Inch Nails.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
"Tempted" by Squezze
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a whole host of songs I like *because* they are creepy and talking creepily about creepy things, like "Possession" by Sarah MacLachlan, "Precious Things" by Tori Amos, and "Push" by Matchbox 20.

But songs that I like in spite of serious problems I have with the message:
"Closer" by Nine Inch Nails
"Hey Mister" by Custom (language in link)
and,"Talk to Me", by Keri Noble.

The last bears some explaining: it's a great song, totally captures the little lift you get when a crush walks by... but here's the thing: the song is about someone the singer's never met but sees all the time and has a crush on, but at the very end, she kind of gasps "I love you." It's a great moment because again, it totally captures that embarassed earnestness and I get little chills because it's very romantic and sexy and just great...

And then I freak out a little bit because the singer is declaring love for a total stranger and here I am identifying with and approving it. Oof.
I love this song, but it definitely creeps me out, too, especially in what it says about me.

[ August 10, 2005, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes, Closer - I absolutely love that song even though it's horrible. Same with Lotion (by Greenskeepers) and some of Dave Navarro's stuff (Rexall springs to mind, oh - and Everything [Eek!] ).

[ August 10, 2005, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to try that one out, Jim-Me. Sounds fasacinating. Thanks!

Another that freaks me out when I find myself singing it is Soft Cell's version of "Tainted Love."
quote:
Once I ran to you ... <Ohhhhh...>
Now I run from you ...

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Tourniquet, by Evanescence.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
"Don't Fear the Reaper" by Blue Oyster Cult is a great-sounding song about the benefits of suicide.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Synesthesia,

I think I missed something... what's your new job?? I'm happy to hear that you love it. [Smile]

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Poisoning Pidgeons in the Park

And yes- the subject is the same as the title. It's just really funny though.

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Shawshank's post as a reply to Katarain and spit Diet Dr. Pepper all over my monitor. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

I want that job!

And Tom Lehrer is teh awesome.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by Shawshank:
Poisoning Pidgeons in the Park

That song disturbs you?

(sings)
It's not against any religion
To want to dispose of a pigeoonnnnnn!

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

I'm sorry Karl! I didn't even think about that. [ROFL]
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

So if Sunday you're free,
Why don't you come with me,
And we'll poison the pigeons in the park.

Go ahead! Sing along! [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

Actually- it doesn't really disturb me- but if someone actually did go around literally poisoning pdigeons- that person would be a little scary I would surely think.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

oh, well, if you're going to be realistic about it... [Wink]
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
But what if the pigeons attacked first?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
pigeons = rats with wings...
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

no... those are seagulls in Finding Nemo [Smile]
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
them too, but I was referring to the digusting little beasts that have overtaken much of downtown Chicago. I wish they'd make feeding those creatures illegal and actually enforce it. Of course, then a sick scary individual couldn't mix poison bait into the seed.... <whistles innocently>
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Goody - I was actually poop-bombed by a pigeon in Chicago and had to go home from work to wash my hair. Ewwww.

Now I live in Iowa, and there are hardly any pigeons at all. [Wink]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just talking with a friend this morning about how the Barenaked Ladies' song "War on Drugs" throws us into the pit of despair, but is still beautiful enough to keep us listening.

I think it's beautiful because it evokes compassion in you, but awful because it leaves you with no solution.

In the dream I refuse to have
She falls asleep in a lukewarm bath
We're left to deal with the aftermath again

[Cry]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I second "Don't Fear the Reaper".

I have to admit, that as strongly as I feel about infidelity, it bothers me that like "Follow Me". It's so catchy!

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Harvey Danger, "Underground"
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
Paint it Black - The Rolling Stones
Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I temporarily work for Blue Cross Blue Shield typing letters. So of course I bring my discman and 30 cds and if that isn't enough I listen to Launchcast.

Today they played Son of a Preacher Man. Dang does that song squick me. It's basically about molestation sung about in a catchy cheerful way.
"Stealing kisses from me on the side" indeed.
I love Closer by NIN but I can't sing that song outloud. It has the F word in it! Not to mention the fact that they keep playing it at work and it makes me think about the wrong thing.
Poisoning Pidgeons in the park is kind of funny. I do love songs by that guy. He sings the sort of songs I write when I am bored and there is no music playing.
I never thought of Don't Fear the Reaper being about that.

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Therapy - Diane :gulp:
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Closer as well, I typically sing it with altered lyrics (which I believe I got off hatrack actually, but I don't remember from who.) "I want a Fuzzy Little Animal"

"Bleed Like Me" by Garbage is pretty disturbing but I like it so much I bought the whole album.

"Hey Man Nice Shot"

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
#1 Crush by Garbage is another fun one. [Smile]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Que Sera Sera by Pink Martini. Doesn't freak ME out, but everyone I've had listen to it has been freaked out by it.

Weirdos.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm Not as Good as I Once Was" and that song about almost legal girls that are both played on country channels are top on my list!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone mentioned Brick yet?
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
They're not creepy!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Poisoning Pidgeons is just too funny, I don't think of it as creepy.

But "I Hold Your Hand in Mine" fits the bill. So does "The Old Dope Peddler."

"Intruder" and "Lead a Normal Life" by Peter Gabriel

Umm, about 1/2 of "The Wall" or maybe all of it.

Uncle Ernie from Tommy. Well, all of Tommy too.

Almost anything by Warren Zevon, notably Excitable Boy and Boom Boom Mancini (I actually watched that fight, even though I hate boxing. Now I hate it even more)

"Shootin' up and gettin high" (a love song) by Me'Shell NdegeOcello

"Behind the Wall" by Tracy Chapman

"Delia's gone" especially Johnny Cash lyrics.

"Oh Bury Me Not" Johnny Cash lyrics

"Hunting Girl" Jethro Tull

"NY3" "Mary" "Exposure" Robert Fripp (Mary Lyrics: Joanna Walton)

"Runs in the Family" "Steady with the Maestro" "Pretty and High" by the Roches

"Frank Mills" from "Hair"

"Here Comes the Flood" Fripp/Gabriel

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

How about Indigo Girls-Dead Man's Hill.
I swear if I saw someone doing something like that to a cat I'd f#@$#king kill them.

Shawshank
Member # 8453

"Over and Over"

I don't think it's a good thing to mix Nelly and Tim McGraw.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by Architraz Warden:
Anyone mentioned Brick yet?

Ben Folds' "Brick"?

If that one creeps you out, Black Lab's "Wash It Away" likely will too...

rivka
Member # 4859

[spelling cop] There is no d in pigeon. [/spelling cop]

I always found "I Hold Your Hand In Mine" much too funny to be squicky. When I was in high school, I used to like to sing it to classmates and watch their faces gradual change from bored to horrified. [Big Grin] "The Irish Ballad" was fun too.

ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
Written by Glenn Arnold

quote:
Uncle Ernie from Tommy. Well, all of Tommy too.
Yeah, Uncle Ernie creeped me out to, supposedly Pete Townshend was molested as a child so he wrote about it in Tommy.

Other than that though it's a brilliant album, have you seen the movie? The movie is (if possible) even stranger than the music. Quadrophenia was great too, excellent movie as well.

Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! How could I have forgotten Beautiful South's "Woman in the Wall"?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Yes, Uncle Ernie creeps me out too. I love Tommy though.
And the Wall which makes me feel paranoid. But I hate that Dirty woman song...

Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Tegan and Sara, "Living Room." It's all about spying on a neighbor.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
Originally posted by Synesthesia
quote:
I never thought of Don't Fear the Reaper being about that.
I checked out a lyrics page right after I posted that. It says the song is bout the inevitability of death, but I am not completely convinced. The whole final verse seems to be about a girl jumping through a window after being invited by Death himself to do so.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.