FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bookmarks

Author Topic: Bookmarks
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I just realized something. A bookmark is connected to the book I am reading at the time, and is discarded after i finish.

I was just thinking, as I started a new book, that I had no bookmark, that the one I had used for HP6 was missing.

Well, then I sort of realized that I did not WANT that bookmark, anyway. I wanted a nw one, whether it be an index card or a Drop-in from a magazine.

And then I thought, man, Liz, you are a weirdo.

That is all. Back to reading.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vid
Member # 7172

- posted      Profile for Vid   Email Vid         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't use bookmarks. I just go back to the point that I last remember reading.
Posts: 162 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I often use the receipt from the bookstore.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
i don't like bookmarks, but at times I've used the receipt from the bookstore or a train ticket.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I used someone else's Airmiles notice once, for about three weeks. Oops. I did mean to give it back, really I did.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
In the back of the library book is a card that says when your book is due back at the library. I use it as my bookmark, even though the librarian scolds me. Librarian scolds are devalued because there is a glut of them on the market.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to just dogear the books (at least for paperbacks), but I stopped doing that a few years ago. Now I use whatever scrap paper is handy. I tend to use receipts (not necessarily from the bookstore; most often they are from restaurants). If I start a book on a plane, I usually end up using the ticket as a bookmark.

I do have a few actual bookmarks floating around--I volunteered at a Japanese festival where I had to make bookmarks rendering people's names in katakana, and I made some extras for my brothers and never gave them to them. I used one of those for HP6.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
In the back of the library book is a card that says when your book is due back at the library. I use it as my bookmark, even though the librarian scolds me. Librarian scolds are devalued because there is a glut of them on the market.

I always used to do that until the library got rid of cards altogether. And don't diss librarians!
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I love the librarians. I just think that their scolds aren't as powerful as, say, the State Trooper scolds. Statie scolds you, you fight to keep from wetting your pants. Librarian scolds you, and you fight to suppress a yawn.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Hahaha, yea I suppose. I guess it's a bit different when both your parents are librarians. [Razz]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

The weird thing is that, before my daughter was born I had a bookmark I had kept for at leat five yars. It was a corny little bear, and had a yarn tassle.

I finally lost that one, and never kept a bookmark since.

Now there is a Business reply envelope in Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I always just dogear my own books or library books. With other people's books- I try to remember not to dogear- so I normally just go back to the place I was at before.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
"I often use the receipt from the bookstore."

That's weird, that's always what I do. I started to do this when I bought a book, went to a park to read it, and on the way home the only piece of paper I had to bookmark where I was was the receipt.

Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
I have used everything, incluuding tape dispensers, which don't work very well. However, I bought a purpose made woven bookmark in Kus¸adası, which has a floral motif, the Turkish flag and the name Kus¸adası, on it. It works really well, I should have bought more, they were only one Euro.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I use real bookmarks, sometimes I remember where I was, and sometimes I use random bits of paper. Right now I'm using a piece of the paper my doctor rights Rxs on (though it's actually directions to a specific lab where she wanted me to get my bloodwork done). I have a homemade one that I really like, and I also have a bookmark that a librarian gave me at our career fair junior year. I never dogear though, because I can never actually find my page when I do that.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"I always just dogear my own books or library books. With other people's books- I try to remember not to dogear-"

I find it odd that you put librabry books in the dogearable category. They are, in fact, "other people's" books.

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
My library prints out a receipt showing me what books I've borrowed and what day they're due. That's what I normally use.

For hardbacks, I use the dust cover flap. For my paperbacks, whatever is handy.

People have given me nice bookmarks over the years (I guess it's considered a safe gift for a book lover) and I couldn't tell you where a one of them was.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
That's so strange to me! I love bookmarks. I'm not saying I won't use a scrap of paper in a pinch, but the next time I read the book at home, I replace it with a real bookmark. Right now I'm using the LotR set one of my friends gave me for Christams - my favorite are the Rohan banners.

In fact, I finished a book last night (Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World) and then dropped the bookmark (red Rohan banner) into my next book (Snow Flower and the Secret Fan) this morning.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Vana, I saw one of those Rohan bookmarks the other day! It was cool, and I almost bought it.

That's it, I am going back to bookmark use.

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to use receipts or other disposable bookmarks because I have busy little hands, and by the time I've finished the book (and sometimes before then), I'll have shredded/folded/crumpled/rolled/otherwise destroyed the bookmark.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
The most random thing I have ever used as a bookmark is a kazoo. I have a great photo from my junior year of college; it's just a copy of Kafka with a kazoo stuck in it.

If you made me pick one picture to define my college experience, and stipulated that it could not have people in it, that picture would definitely be the one I would choose.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I generally use recipts as bookmarks. I work in a grocery store, and often shove recipts from stuff I buy after work in my pocket, and they end up in random places around room...so they are always handy when I need them.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
I just mentally open the book to the page I was last on.
Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I remember the number, sometimes I use a bookmark, sometimes I use a piece of paper, sometimes I prop the book open. I'm pretty inconsistant, except for the fact I never dogear.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't just go back to the place I left off - I reread my books too much. I dogear my pages. My daughters don't like dogearing, so when I read their books, I don't do that, I use whatever piece of paper is handy.

I once loaned books to a neighbor - then found out he marked pages by tearing a corner off the back cover and sticking it in as a bookmark. He didn't want to dogear the pages. The problem was that HE DID THAT TO MY BOOKS!!!!! [No No] Stupid, stupid man. GRRRRR. [Mad] [Wall Bash]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I just find the page I was last on, although I couldn't tell you how I always get it rihgt. I don't memorize the papge number ir chapter, usually, either...

Weird.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I dogear, unless I'm borrowing a book -- in which case I stick another book or something in the spot I left off. I prefer to read most books in a single sitting, though.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't always use a bookmark proper, but I have 6 or 7 I regularly do use. Whatever I use, though, has to be related to the book in some way in my head. Usually I wind up making weird leaps of logic to say "This bookmark has a polar bear on it, and polar bears are sometimes fierce animals, and this book has to do with the fierceness of human emotion" or "This piece of paper was from a note from my friend Fred, and Fred's middle name is David, and David is a minor character's name in this book" or something like that. And you know, I've never thought of this habit as weird until I saw it written out just now. But it really is, isn't it? Huh. Ah well.
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I use whatever’s handy. On my flight out to Buffalo last week I was using the tagboard filler from a package of nylons. I realized about halfway to Newark that I was hanging my arm into the aisle twirling a piece of tagboard reading “NEW PANTIES” in inch high letters.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"I always just dogear my own books or library books. With other people's books- I try to remember not to dogear-"

I find it odd that you put librabry books in the dogearable category. They are, in fact, "other people's" books.

Well, that's mostly because when it's a library's book- they don't check to see if it's dogeared or anything right when you give it to them. And if they saw it later, they wouldn't know it was you.

Mostly I just don't want the person mad at me, and I appreciate it when people treat my books with respect (I don't care if they dogear- but I have some issues) and so I try to treat there's as they would want their books to be treated.

It's the golden rule for book lending!

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy Opera went through a phase of loving Yu-Gi-Oh; now he just likes it. Anyway, being the cool kid that he is, he gave me my very own deck of cards. Since I don't do much card dueling, I use the cards for bookmarks. They're handy and have the bonus of making me think of my boy whenever I open my book.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I do the Same Exact Thing, Liz [Smile]

For the book I'm reading the most right now it is a gas receipt which was probably the first thing I saw after I read my first pages.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.