FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 55-word stories

Author Topic: 55-word stories
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw a link off the QuestionableContent.net site about a lady who writes 55-word stories. Complete beginning-middle-and-end stories, often with illustrations. She also accepts submissions, and I was curious to see if I could write one, so...

Here's mine.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Nanofiction! [Big Grin]

[edit] Linky!

[ August 10, 2005, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
xnera commented on my LJ post of this and called the 100-word versions "drabblers." I've heard 100-word erotic stories called "flashers," and other fiction genres have called them "short-shorts." They're tought o write, but they do make you stretch your brain and get very specific on your word choice.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm game. Here's my try:

Airport Departure

She thought back to their first meeting, just a month ago, at the party. And their first night together, after that same party. If the whirlwind had a chance to die down, would her feelings remain so passionate?

Should she tell him she’s pregnant?

“So, you’re really getting on the plane, huh?”

“Got to, babe.”

(edited to add title)

[ August 10, 2005, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: Tante Shvester ]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the site: www.storybytes.com

They have short stories based on the power of two. Some of them are really good.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, Chris, I love yours!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Drabblers? I've always called 100-worders drabbles. [Dont Know]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Yup, my mistake, so did xnera. "Drabbles."
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
They met on I-80. She was driving to Minneapolis, he was headed back east. He threw his bags in back and convinced her that they were soulmates. Can’t you feel it? They stopped in Omaha. But then, four years later, she was driving north again, and he was back on I-80 with his thumb raised.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elviiis
Member # 7382

- posted      Profile for elviiis   Email elviiis         Edit/Delete Post 
The smell of apples reminded Jim that he was on a freight train. He thought back to the night before when he jumped in the moving car outside of Mesa.

“There must have been a reason.” he said aloud to his round, red traveling buddies.

They couldn’t forgive him for forgetting. He fell back asleep.

++AFR's is better

[ August 10, 2005, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: elviiis ]

Posts: 14 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
He drummed his fingers against the armrest of his throne, blinking the hair out of his eyes where the crown -- which still didn't fit right, as far as he was concerned -- pushed it down. The sword was in storage, but he knew which box. Surely the world wasn't out of evil wizards already?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Come on, keep 'em coming.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Last One Over the Bridge...

The Largest Billy Goat Gruff approached the bridge. In the distance, he could see his brothers feeding in the meadow.

A Large Goat trumps a Troll, no?

The Troll watched the goat approach. At last -- a satisfying meal, fresh on the hoof.

As he picked the choicest bits from the carcass, the Troll laughed.

"No."

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
These are great. [Smile]

I love yours, Chris.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
As he shuffled his feet, wandering aimlessly through the town that had not yet devoured him, he knew he was in trouble. After all, the signs were everywhere: That disgusting clown with the black balloon, the hairy guy staring at him through stolen sunglasses, they knew. THEY KNEW!

But she didn't, so he limbered on...

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I might be able to write a 55-word poem...
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
not hansenj
Member # 8066

- posted      Profile for not hansenj   Email not hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
She entered the room with indecision and trepidation contorting her usually serene features. The enemy seemed to strike at her from every corner, pursuing her relentlessly through the night. She was strong. She could fight. She was strong.

Her resolve broke. She removed the plastic wrap and surrendered to the soft hum of the microwave.

Posts: 30 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
“How are you today?” he said.

She started sobbing. “No one ever asks me that. They only stare, or look away. People don’t usually talk to me. I thought my life was worthless.”

“Jeez, if I knew you’d tell me your life story, I wouldn’t have said anything. Now I’m gonna be late for class.”

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
The resident was irate, yelling and screaming. The security guard had his best plastic fantastic smile pulling at the corners of his lips. When the rant was over, the guard flipped the switch, waved and the luxury SUV went squealing off into the night. Unimpressed, the guard turned and went back to reading his novel.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elviiis
Member # 7382

- posted      Profile for elviiis   Email elviiis         Edit/Delete Post 
Sam took the rusty scissors and cut up her credit card. She looked around her apartment and saw that although she had every Time-Life book series ever published, she did not have happiness.

“I’ll be damned if I ever use one of these plastic slavemasters again.”

After her death, she was damned for other reasons.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
One day, Jane Berg and Mark Berg had a fight.

“You never have time for our family! You’re always at work, and when you’re not, you sit at the computer and talk to people you’ve never met,” complained Mark.

“Better than talking to you, you cold fish!” said Jane.

And thus the Bergs drifted apart.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
His fingers clenched the mug. She touched her fingers to his and he relaxed.

"Is this good or bad news?" he asked.

She leaned into the couch. "What do you think?"

He took both her hands in one of his and moved the other to her stomach. He kissed her forehead and smiled.

"It’s good."

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
This was the moment, truth and lies, right and wrong, the future and his destiny would all be decided in the next few moments.

“Does she love me?” James thought hard to himself.

James shook vigorously, knowing that each shake brought him closer to the judgement, his fate.

With trepidation, he read: “Without a doubt.”

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starr R
Member # 8361

- posted      Profile for Starr R   Email Starr R         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I used to write these a lot! (I started out with the 100-wd stories, and worked my way down. ha.) I remember once, though, I was tearing my hair out, trying to get rid of those last 2 words, to get it down to 55.
But all in all, it's a challenge that's great fun.

I enjoyed reading the ones on this thread!

Posts: 68 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
“Sushi! Getcher sushi he-ah!”

The game was tied at null. I ordered tuna roll and an iced green tea. Later, I downed a mochachinno.

“The Ringer” was up and a hush fell over the crowd.

Finally it was over. Home again, I told my wife that t-ball sure has changed since I was a kid.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I was hoping you'd do one, Bob!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
“We have got to get organized,” she said.

“Just don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater. I mean, remember last time.” He gave a little wink.

“That was pure accident! He got into the recycling all by himself. Besides, we found him before Tuesday’s pickup.”

“Good thing too. Diapers reek heck on the landfill.”

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

quote:
I was hoping you'd do one, Bob!
So, now that I've done two, can I get marked as "EXCEEDS EXPECTATIONS?"

[Big Grin]

TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
Logan sat there, trying to think of a 55 word story to type. He firts attempts writing a story about a veteran soldier, then about a average joe's life. Nothing seemed to work, so he ended up giving up and exitining out of the site page where he was typing and went to go eat a bagel.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Bob, you get an EEK: Exceeds Expectations Kleverly.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
But "eek" just meaneth "also" in new tongue,
Whith breeth vertuingly pushed out the longue;
And so I say thy speelling funny's not,
All who speell "clever" with a kayye must rot!
My naarativ of Chaucer's badly donne,
And so I end this for the start of funne.

[ August 13, 2005, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The dog smelled. Everyone in the room knew it. The wonder of it was how something with such a sensitive nose could be so pungent. The canid olfactory system is, on average, ten times more sensitive than our own.

The dog merely wagged its tail, wafting the familiar scent over its pack and thought “mine.”

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.