FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What do I do with the rest of the gasoline?

Author Topic: What do I do with the rest of the gasoline?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
For the first time, this year, I got myself a gas-powered lawn mower. I bought myself a red plastic jug for the gasoline, and I pour it into the mower to make it go.

What do I do with any leftover gasoline in the mower or in the jug at the end of the mowing season? I don't know how to get the gasoline out of the mower's fuel tank, and even if I did get it out, then what?

I know that somebody here must know this. And don't laugh at me. I'm a nurse. I know internal organs, not internal combustion.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a mowing season?

Move to Louisiana, that'll solve all your problems.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
keep it, and use it next year.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that gasoline is best used fresh, and that it degrades over time. Otherwise, I would just use it next year.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Pour what's left in the jug into your car, or a neighbors car if you don't have one. Assuming you didn't have to mix it with oil for your mower. Then don't. Time it carefully so there's as little as posible left in the mower. Add a bottle of stabilizer before you store it for the winter. You get it at a gas station or hardware store, it'll probably have instructions on the back.

I'm mostly guessing, someone else will probably know. I use a push mower, no gas. [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, with mine -- I run the mower until it runs out of gas completely before I winterize it at the end of the mowing season. But I also do regular maintenance on it at that time.

The gas in the can you can add a gas stablizer to that is designed specifically for keeping gas fresh over the winter months.

FG

edit: too slow! The most popular gas stabilizer is Sta-Bil
available at most hardware stores

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I do know if you leave gas in the mower over the winter it can degrade gaskets and stuff. Then your mower sucks the next year.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Brilliant, LJ, that's what I'll do. Mow until the mower runs dry, and pour the what's left in the jug of gasoline into my car.

Until this year, I had the old fashioned manual reel mower, but I was getting tired of the effort of it all.

With the new mower, I don't even have to cajole my kid to mow for me. He's glad to do it.

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Find an empty wine bottle to pour the petrol into. Stuff the hole with rags. Set rags afire. Throw into house of someone you don't like.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Tsk, tsk, KOM, naughty, naughty.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but it did make me laugh [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

It was actually my first thought, too, but I decided Tante probably wanted non-distructive advice. [Smile]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
You need to add a little motor oil or some liquid soap to the bottle.

[Monkeys]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Tante probably wanted non-distructive advice
I did, and I appreciate all those productive citizens who freely offer it.

Sheesh! Anarchists! [Roll Eyes]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
You need to add a little motor oil or some liquid soap to the bottle.
Why do I need to do that?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that was suggested for the cocktail bottle.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it was.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Molotovs, anyone?
rivka
Member # 4859

Nah. But I've always liked daiquiris.

It's a little early in the day, though.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

But why does the motor oil or liquid soap make for a better Molotov cocktail?

Not that I hang out with a anarchist crowd, but I have heard that dissolving styrofoam in gasoline will yield a volatile gel, which will stick better and burn longer when thrown at a target.

Anyone here have experience with that?

Dagonee?

King of Men?

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Margaritas are the safest summertime drink. The salt around the rim keeps the garden slugs out of your drink.

Beer is *not* recommended.

rivka
Member # 4859

Bleh. Beer is never recommended.
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Beer. *shudder*
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I know! It attracts garden slugs like nobody's business.
rivka
Member # 4859

*eyes washing machine with trepidation*
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it a riding lawnmower? If so, fill it up with the extra gas, get on the interstate, and see how far it will take you.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I thought the only thing soap was good for blowing up was bubbles.

Will I bubble things?

kojabu
Member # 8042

[ROFL]
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Soap bubbles!

Have you not seen Fight Club?

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Is it a riding lawnmower? If so, fill it up with the extra gas, get on the interstate, and see how far it will take you.
Ah, Annie, while that does sound like a well though out and logical suggestion, alas, it is a push mower.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:

Have you not seen Fight Club?

Yes. I have not seen Fight Club. Is there a bubble fight in that movie?
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
no but it does explain the connection between soap and explosives
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
MMmmmm... beer.

Plebians.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Who you callin' a plebian? I think it's the other way around.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
No experience with soap, but dissolving styrofoam in gasoline does make a sticky goo that burns longer and slower. Use enough styrofoam and it becomes like chewed gum that drips apart as it burns.

I don't know if this would be something you'd want in a molotov, as it would have less of a blast than just the gas. I suppose if the goal is to start a building on fire though, some happy medium would do: liquid enough that it spreads, gooey enough that it burns a bit longer.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
BEER... yum yum yum.

A cold Guinness would be best, but Corona with lime in the heat is a nice cooler-offer.

I'm not exclusionist tho - a nice Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc is good to enjoy in the summer heat too.

Get someone else to mow your yard while you prop your feet up and enjoy your margarita. [Cool]

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
dissolving styrofoam in gasoline
Homemade napalm.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Leave it there.....
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Eni, do you mind my asking just why you have so much experience with home made napalm.

Not that there's anything wrong with that... [Angst]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dissolving styrofoam in gasoline
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Homemade napalm.

You can also dissolve the styrofoam in nail polish remover. It works better, in fact. [Evil Laugh]

*is a bit of a pyro*

My suggestion for the mower is: move to CA or TX or somewhere where you have a lawn all year round. [Razz]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
You can also dissolve the styrofoam in nail polish remover. It works better, in fact.
HOW do you know this? WHY do you know this.

My mother used to warn me about falling in with "a bad crowd". Are you guys "a bad crowd"?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

I know it 'cause I've done both. I learned about it from my in-laws (when I was just dating my husband) and tried it with my little brother. [Big Grin]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, one thing: if you're going to try it, be careful not to get it on yourself. [Evil]
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
You put that on your little brother?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Are your in-laws terrorists?

And, NO, I'm not going to try it.

Bad crowd, indeed!

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
The liquid soap in the cocktail will mix with the gas and make it stick to the wall, or whatever you throw it at.....I hear.

Orange juice concentrate will also work.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
You put that on your little brother?
No. But he's rather clumsy (motor skill problems.) I had to watch him carefully to make sure he didn't drip any on himself.

quote:
Are your in-laws terrorists?

Nah, they're just from Texas. [Razz]

quote:
And, NO, I'm not going to try it.

Ah, well. Your loss, it's fun!
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I just wanted to mow my lawn, like a good citizen of the neighborhood, and properly dispose of any remaining gasoline, like a good citizen of the planet. And YOU GUYS, with your terroristic tricks and evil ways are trying to lead my astray from the path.

I won't follow. I won't!

<Stuffs fingers in ears to keep from hearing any more seditious chatter>

<realizes that fingers in the ears do not make the words on the screen disappear, but instead make it impossible to click the mousie to leave the thread>

<unstuffs ears. mousie clicks>

J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not that I hang out with a anarchist crowd, but I have heard that dissolving styrofoam in gasoline will yield a volatile gel, which will stick better and burn longer when thrown at a target.
The best recipe for napalm is about 3 pounds of packing peanuts (styrofoam), 6 fl. oz. of gasoline, and a can of orange juice concentrate.

I have tried multiple recipes, and this one is the best as far as spreading and still sticking... (I got way too bored working at Boy Scout camp).

as far as the gas in your lawn mower goes, the rate at which it deteriorates is slow enough that it will still run in the spring if you just leave the gas in it. It won't have quite as much power... but it'll still do the job at hand.

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:
You can also dissolve the styrofoam in nail polish remover. It works better, in fact.
HOW do you know this? WHY do you know this?
This was actually a sophomore year chemistry project for me. So I have only honorable intent with this one!!! LOL
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.