FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Perelandra (some quotes and thoughts) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Perelandra (some quotes and thoughts)
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Ninjas? When did we get onto ninjas?
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*whispers* Folks (not steven), please tell me what about anything I've said has anything to do with what steven has said. What was it I said that made him compare me to Osama Bin Laden? The faith comment? Was there something politically incorrect in that? Was it offensive? (I'll apologize if it was, but I really am confused.)

What was it I said that made him think someone is comparing Catholocism to Mormonism? Please, clue me in. I'm baffled.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When did we get into terrorists?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by steven:

When it was realized that you flip out and fight all the time.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

Tom,

I gave up on the microcluster comments because I'm still refining my views. As far as Price finding that diet influenced crookedness of teeth, I kind of thought that had been decided.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia, I'm as clueless as you are. Steven's comments seem completely random to me. [Dont Know]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
As far as Price finding that diet influenced crookedness of teeth, I kind of thought that had been decided.
We know that's what you thought. It's why most of us decided that further discussion was pointless, because you couldn't see why others might not think it was decided.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it had been decided that
1. The scanty evidence was inconclusive, and
2. There is no proven connection between health and straight teeth.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
This is how ninjas apply... I was comparing your seeming sensitivity to the anecdote about the ninja killing a town because someone dropped a spoon.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I have come to the conclusion that steven is mildly mentally deficient. I'm sure he's functional and literate, but he seems completely unable to understand logic and reason. He also seems to be caught up in some kind of fantasy world he's created. I've never met anyone like that before and seen them discuss any subjedt at length, so it is interesting.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

Dag, I thought that when we put together

1. The sudden increase in height from 1st generation to 2nd generation Chinese

2. the better health and strength of the shorter Dinka, versus the taller (over 7 feet, in many cases) Masai

We showed that

a. taller isn't always healthier, and

b. diet has a large effect on skeletal structre.

If a and b are true, I think it's maybe, considering Pottenger's work with cats, not that far a jump to assume that diet can have a large effect horizontally as well as vertically on skeletal structure. I thought we decided this. Am I confused?

steven
Member # 8099

Jon Boy--if you didn't think I was right after you read the link about the Dinka and Masai, you could have kept going. I took the fact that you gave up as a sign that I had convinced you.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

We decided, I believe, that it was plausible, but that no rigorous statistical analysis had been done that would determine if the two were correlated, much less one caused the others.

It was your refusal to recognize this that made most everyone give up.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
Am I confused?
I think I can speak for everyone when I say: YES!
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Well, I *was* enjoying this thread....
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I took the fact that you gave up as a sign that I had convinced you.

This would be really funny except that I think steven might actually be telling the truth.

It's like something my Pappy used to say: "Don't try to teach engineering to a pig. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I'm not sure - he was "done with" the thread at one point after Jon Boy had made a particularly pointed barb about tautologies.

He may honestly remember that being what he took JB's silence as a sign for, but I doubt he actually did at the time.

Narnia
Member # 1071

quote:
Well, I *was* enjoying this thread....
Yeah, me too. [Frown] I'm tempted to delete it.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I apologize for my part in the diversion, Narnia.
steven
Member # 8099

Nobody has even bothered to read the links I made in the Price thread. If I post a link 2 times on the same discussion page, I assume that people read it. Here it is again:

www.westonaprice.org/traditional_diets/out_of_africa.html

go to "edit", "find", and look up "dinka"

The discussion about Price is going to be hard to continue without a clear, point-by-point discussion of this link.

I learned in science class that it only takes 3 data points to draw a line. Dozens, not just 3, of tribes all said the same things:

1. shellfish are the best food

2. organ meats are 2nd best

3. other fatty parts are a close 3rd.

Data points, data points. What are the odds?

Narnia
Member # 1071

Don't apologize Dag. [Smile] I contributed too and actually let myself get mad. Shame on me.

You guys were sweet to point out that I'm not like Osama Bin Laden and I appreciate the effort we all put in to logically discuss things. Seems like it doesn't work. *sigh*

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

So... back to Perelandra...?
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Data points, data points. What are the odds?
The same odds that said, "Oxygen for preemies is a good thing." There was every reason to think so, and very well meaning, very smart doctors who gave preemies oxygen in an attempt to help them.

Until someone studied the data with statistical methods and realized that, actually, it causes blindness.

If I recall correctly, it was one of the incidents that led to general acceptance of epidemiological studies by the medical establishment.

steven
Member # 8099

Dag, I'm getting a little tired of the personal attracks.

I never thought, and you know it, that Jon Boy was convinced of the microcluster thing. I thought he was convinced that diet controls crookedness of teeth. You know that. What is with the cheating?

beverly
Member # 6246

I think this thread has strengthened my resolve to read Perelandria again. Soon. [Smile]
Narnia
Member # 1071

I know, I've been feeling the same way Bev. I read them about 18 months ago (when lovely Annie gave them to me for Christmas!) but I've forgotten a lot.
steven
Member # 8099

OK, I just got compared with people who made babies blind. That's beyond the pale. All I'm suggesting is that maybe a diet high in twinkies and McDonald's grain-fed beef burgers causes crooked teeth and other more serious health issues. If I were wrong, and the diet didn't work,

Screw it, I give. Dag isn't interested in the truth.

I just hope everybody else sees that he is being about as real as a 3-dollar bill on the Price issue.

If you don't see that, I was wasting my time talking about it anyway.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
What is with the cheating?
I'm not. You have misrepresented Bob - willingly and unashamedly, and I didn't notice a timely apology. You were making a fairly unbelievable claim about Jon Boy, one I doubt any one else sees as supported by the evidence. I don't know that you thought he was convinced with respect to crookedness of teeth or that you thought he wasn't with respect to microclusters.

In short, it's terribly difficult to tell what you think because you don't seem to engage in honest discourse.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
OK, I just got compared with people who made babies blind.

No you didn't.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
OK, I just got compared with people who made babies blind. That's beyond the pale.
No, you didn't get compared with people who made babies blind. A scientific mistake you made was compared to a scientific mistake made by doctors in the first half of the last century. It's a very famous incident, one taught to underscore the importance of statistical methods in epedemiological research.

In case you didn't know, the whole Price book is about epidemiological research. It's an absolutely appropos comparison. And the incident underscores the dangers inherent in lack of rigorous scientific analysis.

steven
Member # 8099

mph--ask Dag. He knows. He posted it.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Steven, stop mucking up Narnia's thread and take it outside.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
mph--ask Dag. He knows. He posted it.
If that's your standard then you must now acknowledge I did not, in fact, compare you to doctors who made babies blind.
steven
Member # 8099

Dag--I no longer think you're arguing the issues. You're coming after me as a person. I can't say that I haven't earned it on the overpopulation thread, but I deleted that thread. When you can forget that thread, I can forget your comparison of me to baby killers.
RoyHobbs
Member # 7594

- posted      Profile for RoyHobbs   Email RoyHobbs         Edit/Delete Post 
This discussion isn't going anywhere...

But, that Ninja site is the most hilarious thing I've seen in months!!!

Thanks Jim-Me! [ROFL]

Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Dag--I no longer think you're arguing the issues. You're coming after me as a person. I can't say that I haven't earned it on the overpopulation thread, but I deleted that thread. When you can forget that thread, I can forget your comparison of me to baby killers.
Now we're up to baby killers? In point of fact, the doctors very likely saved most of those preemies' lives.

Why do you so often ignore the actual substantive responses to your content? I cited what is pretty much the landmark case relevant to the type of research being discussed, and somehow I did something wrong? I don't think so.

steven
Member # 8099

One word--pottenger.

Oh, and every Africa-raised black person I've ever met has perfect teeth and really nice cheekbones. That just isn't true for the twinkie-scarfers who grew up in the USA.

That kind of convinces me more than anything.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Should "pottenger" mean something to me?

quote:
That kind of convinces me more than anything.
We know. This is why most despaired of getting you to see the principle objections to Price's work.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I appologize to Narnia for responding to steven at all in this thread.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by RoyHobbs:
This discussion isn't going anywhere...

But, that Ninja site is the most hilarious thing I've seen in months!!!

Thanks Jim-Me! [ROFL]

*bows*

Narnia, would you like to continue discussion of Perelandra by e-mail perhaps? We can include people who were actually interested in the topic...

steven
Member # 8099

Dag--do you actually think that there are tons of crooked-toothed kids and teenagers dying left and right in every case in all these traditional tribes? Do you really believe that the crooked-toothed ones die out before adulthood? If that were true, why did ALL of Pottenger's deficiently fed cats die before reproducing in the 3rd generation, and ALL of his correctly-fed cats have perfect teeth and skeletons through the generations?

here's the Wiki:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pottenger

there are other pages on him, and the cat study.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

steven,

Of all the people on this thread I am the one most likely to ridicule you with personal attacks. As it is, I have abstained from any such comments because I'm afraid you'll take it as a compliment or proof that eating babies makes people smell better.

Dag is a freaking saint, believe me.

beverly
Member # 6246

Dooooon't Feeeeeeed the Trooooooolls...........
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Please don't delete the thread - can y'all start over from before the derailment? I just got Perelandra in the mail a few weeks but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. This is very interesting.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

If you're so intent on discussing cats and teeth and organ meat again, why don't you go start yet another thread about it? Heaven knows we haven't had enough.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

You're right, Bev and Kat.

Someone commented that the responsibility of those who do God's will is to make the attempt - honestly and with full effort - and that no moral blame attaches for success or failure.

This has always been very comforting to me. Although I doubt I actually do give full effort whenever I should, this is something I can control (with God's help, of course). The idea could be taken too far and used to excuse inadequate attempts, but I think all moral principles can be used to justify immoral actions in some way or another.

Dagonee

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Ransom: I think he made one law of that kind [not to go to the islands] in order that there might be obedience. In all these other matters what you call obeying Him is but doing what seems good in your own eyes also. Is love content with that? You do them, indeed, because they are His will, but not only because they are His will. Where can you taste the joy of obeying unless He bids you do something for which His bidding is the only reason? ...

Lady: Oh, brave Piebald, this is the best you have said yet...We cannot walk out of Maleldil's will: but He has given us a way to walk out of our will. And there could be no such way except a command like this. Out of our own will...

Narnia's first quoted passage spoke very strongly to me from the first time I read it and it was a great answer. The concept that free obedience was the purpose behind freewill is a beautiful one, rooted in love, and one of the most romantic notions I have yet seen. This passage, more than any other, made me feel the sense of God as Suitor and Church, that is "us", as bride, even though it doesn't address that at all.

There's such dramatic build-up around the question "why would God make an arbitrary law?" (they are discussing the parallel, in this new Eden, to "don't eat the fruit") that giving away the final answer almost qualifies as a spoiler...

steven
Member # 8099

www.heartcoherence.com/stillcolourtoroid/dynastilltoroid.htm

this link has nothing to do with cats, or teeth.

Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to get in the habit of directing thread content in general, but I've gotten a few requests on this thread specifically. Without commenting specifically on the propriety of any posts in this thread, or on the idea of topic drift in general, I simply ask at this time that any conversation on topics unrelated to the original post be relegated to another thread, be it new or revived.

Thank you in advance.

--PJ

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Someone commented that the responsibility of those who do God's will is to make the attempt - honestly and with full effort - and that no moral blame attaches for success or failure.

This has always been very comforting to me. Although I doubt I actually do give full effort whenever I should, this is something I can control (with God's help, of course). The idea could be taken too far and used to excuse inadequate attempts, but I think all moral principles can be used to justify immoral actions in some way or another.

In my example with the perfect platoon leader, I noted that some of the tasks might be impossible. I recall something I got in an e-mail once about God telling someone to go try to move a giant boulder. After years of this, day in day out struggle, the boulder hadn't budged an inch and our hero, frustrated beyond tolerance, lashed out at God, "why did you give me a task you knew I couldn't do?" And God answered something to the effect of "look how strong your arms have gotten."

I am also reminded of Theoden's words "No... we cannot win... but we will fight!"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.