FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » what is the best razor and shaving cream combination for sensitive skin?

Author Topic: what is the best razor and shaving cream combination for sensitive skin?
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I figure I'm not the only person with super sensitive skin. I can't seem to figure out what to use so that I don't get razor burn or a ton of irritation. It didn't used to be this bad, but now I dread shaving because of the irritation. NOT shaving isn't an option, I do like having smooth legs and non-hairy armpits.

So, denizens of hatrack, what do you recommend?

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I did best with a Gillette Mach 3 and Edge Gel, but that might get a little pricey. Just the blades for a Mach 3 are more expensive than entire disposable razors.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
At this point, I am willing to go for pricey in order to have less irritation.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I can only use Daisy Plus disposable razors with the sensitive skin conditioning strip. I foam up with shampoo before I shave.

Anything else, and I look like I contracted smallpox.

mack, if you want to try one before you invest any money, I'd be happy to mail you an unused one from my pack.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never tried it, but I've heard hair conditioner makes a wonderful shaving lubricant, too. (CT's Mention of shampoo made me think of it).
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Soap lather?

Electric?

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Gilette pivot plus razors with Edge sensitive skin gel (orange top) works the best for me
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
mack, have you ever tried any of the defoliants (Neet, Nair, etc.)? Or does your skin react to those?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are so concerned with irritation, I suggest ditching the razor altogether. [Smile]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone in a really old thread mentioned that face washes salicylic acid are good against razor burn because they get reduce redness and swelling. You could try washing with that after you shave.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you shave? I use a Venus (3 blades and a couple conditioning strips - I think it's the "Divine" one) razor (I really like them and have used them for years), but for the life of me, cannot use shaving cream. My hair grows in a million different directions so I end up shaving the same area several times and shaving cream just doesn't provide enough lubrication for that - even when I try to reapply between passes. I use soap - any nice lathering soap (that doesn't disappear on the first pass) - at the moment I'm using Dove for sensative skin. I also do not shave every day. I usually shave my legs twice a week (sometimes a little more often than that, but I wear pants to work and never really go anywhere, so there's no real need to shave every day, every other day max is fine), armpits every other day. If you're the kind of person that shaves every day, I don't know if there is any combination that will keep your sensitive skin from freaking out.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack,

Try Aveeno's shave gel. It might be hard to find, or in with men's shaving supplies, but it is the only commercial product that I found will actually reduce and then prevent my razor bumps, conditioner included. I would also recommend watching out for products that have high amounts of glycerin in them. Many people have a slight allergy or sensitivity to glycerin and have trouble with lipstick and makeup etc...

As far as razors, my wife relies on a Schick (?) Quattro razor and uses New! Skintimate moisturizing after-shave gel with aloe and vitamin E (Raspberry Rain scented) 10oz Bottle that dispenses from the bottom (cool for standing it up in the shower). This is applied after shaving and she says it prevents bumps from raising on her legs. Often times in a pinch she also uses my Schick green disposabe razors, which we both like.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
An old-fashioned shaving brush and good old Ivory soap works great for me. I get bad razor burn on my face if I use anything else.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
If you are so concerned with irritation, I suggest ditching the razor altogether. [Smile]

Ooo la la, tres francais.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what goes well with legs and armpits, but for my face/neck I use Gillette Mach 3 turbo (has an extra moisture strip on it) with Edge Gell for sensitive skin. I also make sure to shave with the grain, and not against it. While shaving against the grain might get it a bit closer, it can irritate your skin.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I've used the Edge Gell and it irritated my skin. I like the Skintimate gels and then I put lotion on after and that helps me. I don't know that I would classify myself with having sensitive skin. I use the Venus razors.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
People can have adverse reactions to Nair, including burning sensation. I have a personal story, that turned into a comedy of errors, but generated the household quote "Now doesn't that just Nair your ass?"

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I also have sensitive skin. I laughed when CT mentioned a "smallpox" appearance. Here's what I've learned since working for Clinique (yes, they have more than make-up[ products):

-used Skintamate (sp?) shave gel for sensitive skin (it's the pink one)
-Venus razors (change often-dull razors are the enemy)
-shave after you've been in the shower for a while (after you've shampooed)
-avoid really hot showers (it will dry out the skin)
-apply lotion to skin that is still wet (this really works!)
-I use Curel lotion

I hope this helps! You've seen my fair skin, so you know you and I are in the same boat here with sensitive skin.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest pulling each hair out individually with tweezers. Slowly.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Lye, and a shard of obsidian?
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I got an electric shaver, and I love it. it stinks for armpits, though. So to speak.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a marvelous women's shaver called "Intuition". It has a razor kind of floating in a bar of soap. You wet the ahaver, wet your skin, and glide the shaver over your hairy bits.

Perfect.

There is a sensitive skin version, too. Why they still make the insensitive kind is beyond me.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aurinona
Member # 8443

- posted      Profile for Aurinona   Email Aurinona         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't found one that works well for me yet- maybe I'll try some of the ones that have been mentioned here. As it is, I put it off as long as possible (which can be a long time, given that I try to wear jeans year-round.)

I will say to NOT, under any circumstances, buy the Schick Silk Effects razors. My husband told me to stop using the disposables because I kept complaining about irritation, so I grabbed one... Those little wires that are supposed to stop nicks? No cuts, my arse. I nick myself just as badly as I ever did with other razors, and the wires make certain that they're impossible to rinse clean. Hairs just get caught in them. I've found myself having to shave the same area multiple times because I think the wires get in the way, as well...but they still don't stop nicks. Going back over areas is just a certain recipe for razor burn, for me. Hatred! I'm going back to my disposables.

Owww, Nair...I used it ONCE, left it on for LESS time than recommended, and the result was chemical burns up and down my thighs. Definitely not for sensitive skin.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I have fairly sensitive skin, and I use Mach 3 blades and the Gillette Series Sensitive Skin gel. I still get razor burn occasionally, but it's a lot more rare than when I use anything else.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

- posted      Profile for Mr.Gumby   Email Mr.Gumby         Edit/Delete Post 
I use just a random razor I found in the shower with water. Now I wonder how people cut themselves while shaving. Cuz it hasn't happened to my legs, stomach or chest.
Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by BannaOj:
People can have adverse reactions to Nair, including burning sensation.

I know -- that's why they try to get you to apply it to a test patch and wait 24 hours. (Does anyone actually do this?) But IME, some people, including many with sensitive skin, have no reaction to defoliants. I tend to react to razors more than to the chemicals. [Dont Know]

The Intuition razor thingy is not bad, though.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I'm going to conduct some market research of my own. I figure, I'm going to be dealing with this for years to come, so I might as well invest some time and a bit of money to figure out what works and what doesn't.

I got three different kinds of shave gel and/or cream:

Skintimate sensitive skin shave gel (moisturizing)
Satin Care sensitive skin shave gel
Soft Shave shower shave cream sensitive skin

And four different types of razors:
Schick Xtreme 3 for Women
Noxema Triple Blade disposable razors
Gillette Daisy (on CT's recommendation)
Gillette Sensor 3 for women

I'm not quite sure how I'll do this between trying each razor and shave gel.

Suggestions?

rivka
Member # 4859

Seems like the first step ought to be dividing your legs into 12 areas of approximately equal size . . . [Big Grin]
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second the recommendation for Skintimate gel. I don't have particularly sensitive skin, but I do like that one best of all the varieties I've tried.

I was using a Personal Touch razor for years, then the blades vanished. Now I'm using a Sensor Excel. Not bad but the handle doesn't sit very well in my hand, so it's somewhat uncomfortable to use.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

rivka, I'm thinking more of a change in razor/cream with each shave.

hmm.

rivka
Member # 4859

That may be more practical, but it will likely introduce more variables. (How dry your skin is on that day, how humid the air, recent variations in diet, etc.)
mackillian
Member # 586

I went for the practical approach.

I'm going to link the candidiates and reviews I've done so far, but fair warning ***possily offensive language*** contained in my blog.

The Shaving Test

Test Shave One

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
mack:

I like this idea. It'll be interesting to see your results.

I do think, though, that you are doing yourself a disservice by not including some of 'male'-oriented products in your test -- but, of course, that would simply add more variables.

FWIW, I have used skintimate [I was out of shaving gel -- my wife is generous], and found that I didn't really like it. It wasn't so much that I smelled girly (although I don't think that I'd use it on a regular basis) -- but that it wasn't quite thick enough for my (rather tough) beard.

It might be enough for legs, though.

EDIT: In terms of methodology, I'd be inclined to do the reverse of what you're doing -- I'd test each razor with each of the creams. But I suppose it doesn't really matter.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Skintimate shave gel stinks. Don't use it. I like Gillette, but I haven't tried your third option. Also, the razor I use (and love) is not in your test. I'll try to find out what it is when I get home.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
God shave your legs, Jamie.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
It's a Venus, the women's equivalent of the Mach III.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
The Mach III is what I use -- I don't think that I'd consider switching to anything else except maybe a straight edge.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
For future testing, you should consider L'Occitane--a line of products developed in Provence. They have a travel oil that's supposed to be excellent for men with sensitive skin, and can be used alone or with a shaving gel/cream. l'occitane travel oil
Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that you know what my razor is when I don't and I use it every day. [Smile]
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but I have an amazing memories for useless facts.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I've tried a Venus. It was only a notch above the Noxzema for my legs. [Frown]

Zal, I would, but I don't want to smell like a boy. There's already one boy around here. [Wink]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Schick Intuition Shaver

I had a bad day yesterday... the kind where you need to leave work to go home, throw your clothing in the washing machine (or incinerator) and have a shower, before you can return to work. A really bad day.

When I got home, I took a shower, and another, and another. Three consecutive showers. I didn't even turn off the water in between each. Now, I know that this sounds like just one big long shower, but it is different, trust me. There is an order to taking a shower -- the wetting down, the order of the lathering, the order of the shower accessories used, the order of the rinsing. You know -- don't pretend you don't. Well, at the beginning of shower number three, I spied my Intuition shaver sitting demurely in its spot, and thought about how much cleaner I would feel if I shaved off any extraneous hair. Shaved legs, feet, underarms, over arms, hands, wrists, belly, neck, pretty much everywhere. (Not that I am freakishly hirsute. I just had a REALLY bad day)

Glorious. Not a nick. Not a bump. Smooth, clean clean clean, all over.

Sigh.

Today was a much better day. [Smile]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Tante, the intuition, when I tried it, tore up my legs. It was awful...for me. For others, I'm glad it works. [Smile]

Anyrate *LANGUAGE WARNING*:
Test Shave Two
Test Shave Three

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Sorry about the leg tearing. For me it works great. [Dont Know]

Good luck.

rivka
Member # 4859

Two looks the best so far, neh?

Question: why do you keep saying vs.? You're testing the combo, not pitting them in battle against each other. [Wink]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.