FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ketchup Princess wins a ribbon for eating watermelon (with pictures and now video!) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ketchup Princess wins a ribbon for eating watermelon (with pictures and now video!)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
So*, our local Lions Club holds a Watermelon Festival as a fundraiser each summer. We decided to go, and enter Emma Rose, our prodigious little watermelon eater (she LOVES the stuff) in the "Watermelon Eating Contest for All Ages". As it turns out, they didn't have a category for kids under 5, but they let me enter her with the 5- to 9-year olds. She had the time of her life! And of course, her Abba documented the whole thing for her out of area relatives and Hatrack. [Big Grin] Here are the pictures:

Emma prepares to eat watermelon-- she was excited!
I give her a bite to whet her appetite (not that it needs much whetting)
Once she makes sure this is what the big kids are doing, she chomps down
She's pretty good at this! (At this point, people were starting to say, "Look at that baby go! That's impressive! She's really into it!")
Near the end, she's eaten more than some of the 8- and 9-year-old kids (I think some of them had eyes bigger than their stomachs.)
Even after the contest is over, she refuses to stop eating until it's gone!

The city councilwoman giving out prizes gave her a special first-place ribbon because they didn't really have a category for under 5, and everyone thought she deserved it! A lady from the local Daily News came over to get our names for a write-up to be in tomorrow's paper.

Afterward, she showed off her little watermelon outfit by the "Free Watermelon" booth for Grandma Sheri (my dad's fiancé; the child has 6 grandmothers of one sort or another) to take pictures. (But she wouldn't stand still for them until we gave her more watermelon to eat! [Eek!] ) Then she ate about a quarter of her Abba's nachos with steak, beans, and onions with cilantro (at which point I decided she has the family stomach-- and two hollow legs) and went home to take a nap so she'll be awake and happy for the live blues this evening. [Big Grin]

[ August 14, 2005, 02:53 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! That's amazing!
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what everyone said. [Big Grin]

And they all thought I was crazy when I said I was entering my 16-month-old in the watermelon eating contest. I told them she's a good eater and she loves watermelon. We showed them! She actually finished more than all but two of the other kids at the table, out of six (when a winner was declared.) And most of them were 8 or 9. [Big Grin]

[ August 13, 2005, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, KQ, those hollow legs will soon be filled with full grown watermelons, if what my Uncle Bill said about eating watermelon seeds is true.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Nah, I took the seeds out. [Big Grin] Didn't want her choking.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I just found out she's also going to be on the local Armenian news tonight!
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Sooooooo cute. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, congratulations to the princess. You go, girl.

And, as an aside, I've always thought that Tujunga is just one of the coolest place names ever.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
... anyone ever say you look good in pictures KQ?

and on a related topic do you like ketchup?

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yes, I've always photographed well. I don't really look that good in real life. [Wink]

Tujunga is a great place-name. [Smile]

And of course I like ketchup! But only REAL ketchup-- that is to say, Heinz.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

We went back this evening, and besides listening to the (very good) local blues group, Emma rode the Ferris wheel and the Merry-Go-Round.

Oh, and my Daddy bought me two really cool hair thingies today. [Kiss] Both are silver, one with roses and a dangly flower thingy, and one with amber beads and a Celtic heart in the center.

Sid Meier
Member # 6965

so you put it on all your food? I like it as well I put it on:

French fries, burgars, anything thats meat (meatballs-steaks/roast beef), pretty much any kind of sandwich, mozillerilla cheese, potatoes, hot dogs, pogo's, and I think that encompasses it, except I put too much on sometimes (usually with sandwhich/bread related foods where it'll fall out)

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I put it on anything that contains potatoes or meat (although I've kind of had to wean myself off since pregnancy; I was consuming way too much sodium.) I also love it on rice, macaroni and cheese, sandwiches of many sorts, cheesecake, chocolate cake, ice cream...
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Two seconds of video of Emma during the contest are now here (what a cool site!)
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Baked potatoes are wonderful with ketchup (yes, KQ, Heinz only). Figured that out when I was on a diet once and realized that ketchup has a whole lot less calories than butter and sour cream do.

I'm going to have to take a miss on the ketchup and cheesecake thing, though. I'll take the extra calories to have it topped with caramel sauce.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Mmm, you know what the best is on a baked potato, though? Ketchup AND sour cream! MMMMMMM!
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
cute
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you enjoy ketchup on your watermelon as well? [Razz]

[ August 14, 2005, 04:11 AM: Message edited by: Rico ]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Actually, I've heard watermelon is excellent with salt and hot sauce. I'd bet ketchup would be good. I know it's good on canteloupe...
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

yeah I put in on rice and macaroni as well but cake? woah, wait until my family hears about this they'll feint.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if I'd been like that had I liked watermelon. I'm not though, due to my powerful loathing of the stuff. In any event, I'd like to offer my own congratulations for loving fruit. Which is good because fruit is healthy.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, she seems to have the family IBS. I would not have let her eat all that watermelon if she'd been in the opposite phase, diaper-wise. But as it is, it worked out just right. [Big Grin]

And Emma got two of the 12 paragraphs in the newspaper write-up today. [Smile]

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I was never in the newspaper as a child. She should be very proud of herself.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Steve, you still have a couple years. [Wink] Get cracking!
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, maybe you can do a massive community service project or something. [Big Grin]

The first time I was in the paper, I was 5 and my brother was 2. My dad had found out that our landlady owned a strip of dirt out near the busy street we lived on and it was all filled with trash and bottles and stuff. We asked if we could plant sunflowers and stuff, and a reporter drove by while we were hoeing weeds in our little flower garden (the vegetables were in the back yard.) She stopped and wrote us up for human interest, and brought a photographer the next day. So, Emma's beat me, too. [Wink]

Does the Armenian news count as beating me as to age first on a newscast, too? Because if so, she was on about 5 years before I was.

Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

She's so into it!

Normally I detest any type of eating contests.

This is the first time I actually found one to be cute.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
She is so adorable, kq!
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Thank you. [Smile]
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I meant when I was under age 6. Due to school, I've been in the paper. And for Boy Scouts. And I was a member of my school's newspaper team so I wrote articles too.
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Armenian news?

That outfit is too cute - what a sweetie! We have a watermelon festival here in Richmond - y'all should come next summer.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dropofTapioca
Member # 7867

- posted      Profile for dropofTapioca   Email dropofTapioca         Edit/Delete Post 
Just too cute. You know, this sounds like one of those stories Emma will be telling when she gets older. "You know when I was three* years old..."

*this asterisk is meant to indicate uncertainty on exact age

Posts: 32 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Wither that, or she will be telling the story to her therapist.

"Why do you have this eating disorder?"

"Well, when I was one..."

(kidding!)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Armenian news?
Yup. As in, on the Armenian channel. [Big Grin]

quote:

That outfit is too cute - what a sweetie! We have a watermelon festival here in Richmond - y'all should come next summer.

The outfit is a hand-me-down! Isn't that great? I love hand-me-downs. If you're not opposed to them, we've got way too many dressy little girl dresses for me to want to store... Contact me when Ladybug is born! They're all in perfect condition and I'll send them along. Hmmm, Jeff does get two weeks vacation a year, and should get a raise by next year... WatermelonCon? [Wink]

quote:
You know when I was three* years old..."

*this asterisk is meant to indicate uncertainty on exact age

Probably. We'll certainly be telling it! But the reason everyone was so impressed is that she's only 16 months old! [Embarrassed]

quote:
Wither that, or she will be telling the story to her therapist.

"Why do you have this eating disorder?"

"Well, when I was one..."

(kidding!)

[ROFL] Nah, she's got the family metabolism to boot. Luckily for her, since she eats like a horse. [Wink]
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
*impressed* That's awesome! And I love the outfit, too.

Sophie has decided she likes to eat watermelon and corn on the cob. Its so sweet to see her try to bite the corn off the cob.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

A link to the article. [Big Grin]
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
How totally cool is that?!?!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Scrapbook! And when she is old enough to tell you so, you may just find that she prefers "Watermelon Princess".

And the second (faaaar second) adorable thing in this thread is that SteveRogers thinks of childhood as being under age 6. From my vantage point on the other side of 40, that is pretty darn adorable.

They grow up so quickly...

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*looks around to make sure none of the slightly fascist Molly Mormon types from her former ward are in the thread*

I don't scrapbook.

But the ribbon, the article, and a few photos are going in her baby book. [Smile]

Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
<<peeks in and faints to see that kq doesn't scrapbook... runs away in horror

JK- your daughter is just too cute! Good for her out-eating those older kids. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Why would I scrapbook when we almost exclusively use digital photos? I do PowerPoint presentations...
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
And the second (faaaar second) adorable thing in this thread is that SteveRogers thinks of childhood as being under age 6. From my vantage point on the other side of 40, that is pretty darn adorable.
They grow up so quickly...

What are you trying to say?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

She thinks you're cute. [Wink] [Kiss]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
What are you trying to say?

The old are amused by the nostalgia of the young.

No disrespect intended. It is just that, in terms of nostalgiable years, you are on the threshhold of the golden ones.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I'm disgraced! You have more posts than me. Aside from that, thank you, I think.

kq- What is THAT supposed to mean?

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Uh, Steve, uh...
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Yeah, I just saw it. And I posted on it too.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Me too! I'm a postin' maniac!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Just exactly what it says, SR. [Evil Laugh]
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

And what Exactly does it say? Do tell.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It says, and I quote:

quote:
She thinks you're cute. [Wink] [Kiss]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.