FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Writers of the Future, 2005-- Request for Questions (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Writers of the Future, 2005-- Request for Questions
EricJamesStone
Member # 5938

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone           Edit/Delete Post 
> For most people, their day starts when they
> wake up and leads them into their day.

And that's probably why it's a bad way to begin a story unless you absolutely have to.

Put yourself in the place of an average beginning writer. You wonder, where should I start the story? Well, my main character's day starts when he/she/it wakes up, so I'll start there!

Now put yourself in the place of K.D. Wentworth, reading a stack of manuscripts from beginning writers. After seeing a lot of stories starting as the protagonist awakes from slumber, you're going to be pretty sick of reading that beginning.

You want your beginning to be something interesting. Most of the time, people waking up to begin their day isn't all that interesting.

Of course, as Scott's story proves, you can break that "rule" and still win at WOTF. But that really only means his story was outstanding in other ways, not that you should also start your story with a character waking up.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.