FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm scared, I admit it

Author Topic: I'm scared, I admit it
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
My second surgery is tomorrow. I'm 20/20 in my right eye, or was at one day post-op, but my near vision is useless in that eye.

And it soon will be in the other. The replacement lenses are fixed-focus. I may still need reading glasses or something of a bifocal nature to function.

But I have cataracts, and they aren't going to get better. Plus, if I don't go through with it now it will be lots more expensive when I finally do it (I've met my deductable this year, and the policy year ends with the end of September).

Ron thinks I'll just need reading glasses, which would be fine, but I'm afraid that, even though my vision will be loads better, my eventual solution will be more complicatedthan that. I'l still have glasses or something to pay for, anyway.

Maybe it's just my nature to worry, but I can't stop.

And... I probably won't be able to see Hatrack for a few weeks after tomorrow, so...

So long for now!

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs Olivia* I'll be thinking of you. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
::comfort:: I've had eye surgery as well (3 times) and it will be ok. Reading glasses are a lot better than having to wear glasses all the time.

We'll all be here thinking about you till we hear from you again.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs*

Best wishes. We'll miss you. [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck. Hope it goes as it should.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck!
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Olivet)))

Good Luck!

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Avast, me hearty! I'll be thinking good thoughts for you, and wishing you all the best.

Worse comes to worst, you can get yourself a parrot. And some swash to buckle.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Olivet)))) Ah honey, it'll be okay!!

We'll be thinking about you.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet, brave, Olivia!
(((Olivet)))

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
~~~Olivia~~~
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
(((LIvvie))))

Can't wait to see you back. The surgery will go fine!

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Much luck, Ms. 'vet... think happy thawts [Smile]
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(((hugs))) It's going to be great. And just think what life would be like if you didn't have this surgery available. [Kiss] I'm sure you'll be fine. (((hugs)))
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll send you good luck and good thoughts. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Olivet)))
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*makes note* so, if I get up Really Close, Olivia won't be able to see the faces I make *end note*

and if you need reading glasses, I will happily send you a pair of ass-ugly ones as a gift for getting through the surgery. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
Our prayers are with you Olivet. [Smile]
Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Edit to mack: I think I get to pick out my own. We're thinking some of those half-moon thingies...

Ron says he wants me to dress in some Librarian-fetish outfit to go pick out frames. [Wink]

He always knows how to make me laugh when I really need to.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope all goes perfectly. You know, I keep hearing that this country needs leaders with vision. I'm happy to know someone who will soon qualify!

See you soon!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
{{{{{{{Olivet}}}}}}}}}
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
*huggles*
Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, but I meant to freak people out. [Razz]

See, my social work prof in my undergrad college work these Horridly Awful Ugly reading glasses. And we yelled at him all the time for them. They were...awful. Did I mention that?

We even got him Really Nice ones.

And he kept losing THOSE.

And never the ugly ones.

They ended up just being a joke of sorts, and he actually gave them to a student when they graduated (not me).

Anyway, Dan is a great guy, and so...yeah. More ugly glasses for another great person.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad's fiancé has what I call the "Magical Mystery Tour reading glasses". They're from the 99 cent store, and they are actually kinda neat. [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
I know you won't read this for a while, but I'll be keeping you in my thoughts, Olivia. Good luck!
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
~~~~~Olivia~~~~~
*hugs*

(No, it's not your eyes -- those really are wavy lines. Good luck!)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
code:
If you can read this you probably did all right!

Good luck! [Wink]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister had glasses at what we call here (global?) "12". I guss that's related to thickness or curve. She was virtually blind, and now she's got 6/5 eyesight.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad your first surgery went well, and hope the second goes smoothly too.

I'll be thinking of you.

(Olivia)

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
You are in my thoughts, Olivia.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I'll be heading to the Outpatient Surgery center about 11:30am. Seems he likes to schedule the more challenging surgeries for the afternoon, so he can get his grove on or something. Or maybe he just knows he'll be ready to go home when he's done with me. [Smile]

Jonathan - I think I went to Christian school with a boy whose vision was like that. He could see a little but still had to know Braille and stuff. His father's glasses were so thick you couldn't see his eyes at all.

I actually feel very blessed to be able to see, and to live in a time when cataracts can be corrected. I'm horrified to think of what child-rearing would have been like if I had had no means of correcting my vision. But, I'm healthy. My eyes, despite their unusual focal length, are disease-free, and my retinas are in good condition.

There's just something a bit nerve-wracking about taking this final step that will alter the way I live considerably. It's... scary.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
. . . he can get his grove on or something.
*resists Burnam Wood joke*

Good luck!!!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

LOL! Right now I sort of have what they call 'monovision', I think. I can only see up close with one eye, so my proof-reading and typing and near-distance judgement are off.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it [Wink]

rivka
Member # 4859

I believe you. [Smile] I just was amused, and thought you might be too.
Olivet
Member # 1104

I was. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.