FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dave's Selling His Childhood, Part 1 - Star Wars Action Figures and Comics

Author Topic: Dave's Selling His Childhood, Part 1 - Star Wars Action Figures and Comics
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, it comes a sad time in a geek's life when he decides to get rid of some his memorabilia, but for me, today's the day.

While I grew up enojying Star Wars, it wasn't until 1991 when Timothy Zahn published Heir to the Empire when my Star Wars Geekdom went into full force. From then on, straight through the release of the prequels, my Star Wars geekiness was in full force.

And my collectormania began around then too. When the action figure line was re-launched in 1955, I ate them up. Same with the new comics (starting with Dark Empire - Luke goes to the Dark Side! Woah!), and through the Tales of the Jedi series (4000 years before A New Hope? First appearance of the double bladed Lightsaber? Woah!). I spent GOBS of money on Star Wars.

And now I'm in a place where I'd kinda like to get at least some of it back. It has nothing to do with how much I liked or didn't like the prequels (I enjoyed them a lot! Defended them! Bought the DVDs!), but rather as necessity. I have too much...stuff, and not enough money.

So, instead of just ebaying them into oblivion, I thought I'd first start by offering up what I have to my fellow Jatraqueros. I know we have some Steve Sansweet wannabes floating around here.

Let me know if there is anything you would like, and how much you would be willing to pay, either for single pieces, or for a collection of stuff.

This is sort of an end of an era folks - so mourn a very short while before you go diggin' through my toy box.

Here's what I got:

STAR WARS ACTION FIGURES:
--MINT IN PACKAGING--
Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight (1997 RotJ:SE Opening Night Theater Exclusive)
Darth Vader (1995 Power of the Force – Red Stripe Card – Long Saber Variant)
Luke Skywalker (1995 Power of the Force – Red Stripe Card – Long Saber Variant)
Princess Leia (1995 Power of the Force – Red Stripe Card)
Ben Kenobi (1995 Power of the Force – Red Stripe Card – Short Saber)
C-3PO (1995 Power of the Force – Red Stripe Card)
Stormtrooper (1995 Power of the Force – Red Stripe Card)
Chewbacca (1995 Power of the Force – Red Stripe Card)
R2-D2 (1995 Power of the Force – Red Stripe Card)
Han Solo (1995 Power of the Force – Red Stripe Card)
Yoda (1995 Power of the Force – Red Stripe Card)
Yoda (1998 Power of the Force – Ep1 Preview “flashback” – Green Stripe Card)
Chewbacca in Bounty Hunter Disguise (1996 Shadows of the Empire)
Prince Xizor (1996 Shadows of the Empire)
Lea In Boushh Disguise (1996 Shadows of the Empire)
Anakin Skywalker (1999 Episode 1 – w/ Com-Tech Chip)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (1999 Episode 1 – w/ Com-Tech Chip)
Qui-Gon Jinn (1999 Episode 1 – w/ Com-Tech Chip)
Jar Jar Binks (1999 Episode 1 – w/ Com-Tech Chip)
Darth Maul (1999 Episode 1 – w/ Com-Tech Chip)
Battle Droid [4 different variants] (1999 Episode 1 – w/ Com-Tech Chip)

--REMOVED FROM PACKAGING--
Han Solo as Stormtrooper (1995 Power of the Force Fruit Loops Mail-Away Preview)
Transluscent Ghost of Obi-Wan (1997 Frito-Lays Mail Away)

STAR WARS COMICS
--MINT CONDITION—

Tales of the Jedi #1 & #2 (1993)
Tales of the Jedi: The Freedon Nadd Uprising #1 & #2 (1994)
Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith #1-6 (1994)
Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War #1-6 (1996)
Tales of the Jedi: The Golden Age of the Sith #1-5 (1996)

Jabba the Hutt: The Gaar Suppoon Hit (1995)
Jabba the Hutt: The Hunger of Princess Nampi (1995)

Droids v2 #8 (1995)

Splinter of the Mind’s Eye #3 (1996)

SOLD!Shadows of the Empire #1, #3 [which printed a letter sent in by me!], #5, #6 (1996)
SOLD!Shadows of the Empire: Evolution #1 (1998)

Classic Star Wars: Return of the Jedi #1 & #2 (1994)

X-Wing: Rogue Squadron – The Rebel Opposition #1, #2, #3 (1995)
X-Wing: Rogue Squadron – The Phantom Affair #1 (1996)

Heir to the Empire #1, #2, #6 (1995)

Dark Empire #1, #4, #6 (1991)
Dark Empire II #1-6 (1994)
Empire’s End #1 & #2 (1995)

[ August 16, 2005, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

Oh, and I may also be offering up an old-school video game system package (or two) in the very near future as well.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
"Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War #1-6 (1996)"

About how much are you thinking for these?

Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take it all off your hands for $20.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

quote:
About how much are you thinking for these?
Make some offers.

I'm not expecting too much - I'm probably being ridiculously honest when I say that each of these were probably "worth" a lot more when they first came out, and before the overexposure of the Prequel Merchandise. I remember those original Power of the Force 1995 red-cards being rare, and people paying upwards of $50+ for individual ones.

Demand has dropped SUBSTANTIALLY since the Good Ol' Days.

Taalcon
Member # 839

quote:
I'll have to say minimum I would even consider taking for the whole lot would be, like, $50 + Shipping & Handling. Figure I should be able to get at least a dollar a piece [Wink] [Razz] - doesn't nostalgia count for anything anymore? Even just a decade-old nostalgia?
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
EEEEEEEBAAAAAAY!

I am totally serious.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. You'll get a much better price there than from here.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

If it comes to it, I will. Just wanted to give Jatraqueros first crack.
Taalcon
Member # 839

quote:
agree. You'll get a much better price there than from here.
You know, I'm really not sure. I've done some research, you know [Wink] *shuts up*

Plus I'll feel better if these go to Jatraquero homes. I'm still somewhat connected to my nostalgia. I may send periodic emails to the eventual buyer to see how Vader's doing.

GaalD
Member # 6222

"I may send periodic emails to the eventual buyer to see how Vader's doing."

I don't think I want to buy anymore... [Wink]

Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Hell I'll take it all for 50 plus shipping and handling.

But others are right, go to Ebay, you'll get four times as much, if not more. Those action figures alone should get that much.

My Star Wars geekdom is still in full force.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend, who is an action figure collecting... fanatic, looked over your list. He has about 50% of them, so he's not quite interested in buying the lot.

But in his opinion, if you want to maximize profits, you would want to sell individually on ebay the:
Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight (1997 RotJ:SE Opening Night Theater Exclusive)
Darth Vader (1995 Power of the Force – Red Stripe Card – Long Saber Variant)
Luke Skywalker (1995 Power of the Force – Red Stripe Card – Long Saber Variant)
Lea In Boushh Disguise (1996 Shadows of the Empire)
Battle Droid [4 different variants] (1999 Episode 1 – w/ Com-Tech Chip)

The rest he thinks aren't that popular and wouldn't sell for much as a lot. I didn't ask his opinion about the comics, he's not a comics person really.

Hope this helps or something [Smile]

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

Thanks [Smile]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

My offer of 50 dollars stands for as long as you have all that stuff, though im not as interested in the Episode One stuff, I already have that.

I hope you get a lot more for it, but if not, I'll be your back up.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I find it weird that stuff from the 90s is part of anyone's childhood.

*feels old*

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I was 6 when the 90's started. Feel older now?
Olivet
Member # 1104

Well, no, actually. But I've met Taal and had longish talks with him about things, and it just seems weird to think that I could have been his babysitter. [Wink]

But it really doesn't seem strange at all that someone I've never met was a child at the time I was first able to vote.

GaalD
Member # 6222

I was born when the 90's started. Feel older now? [Wink]
Taalcon
Member # 839

*grins* I was about 11-ish in 1991 when the craze began for me. I guess through most of it I was technically a teenager, and was part of those years rather than my childhood - but from where I am now, that certainly seems long enough ago to qualify as my 'childhood'.

The craze was into highest gear around 1995-6ish when I was 13 and 14.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
That makes me feel old.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Taalcon:
quote:
I'll have to say minimum I would even consider taking for the whole lot would be, like, $50 + Shipping & Handling. Figure I should be able to get at least a dollar a piece [Wink] [Razz] - doesn't nostalgia count for anything anymore? Even just a decade-old nostalgia?
I was joking. I should have said $2 to make sure that you knew it was a joke.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Started for me when I was about 12, so, in 1996. My brother gave me "Heir to the Force" to read, and I voraciously read every single Star Wars book I could find, and memorized the scripts of the movies.

It hasn't waned since [Smile]

Taalcon
Member # 839

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
Originally posted by Taalcon:
quote:
I was joking. I should have said $2 to make sure that you knew it was a joke.
I knew you were joking. I decided to turn your joke into a real question for me [Razz]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*shudder* I was in college in 1991.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Haha, in 1991 I was in 2nd grade.
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Shadows of the Empire, are we talking the full graphic novel, or indivdual issues?
I have 1-4, but never got #5 or #6. I'll start my offer at $20 for the pair...or all of them if you're desperate to get the other two off your hands as well.

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh... I was married in 1991, and in college.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I should have graduated college in 1991, but I finished my degree a year early, because I'm a smarty-pants. But this no longer makes me feel old. I am what I am, and what I am is a healthy woman with two gorgeous, bright children and a loving, devoted husband.

It also helps that I'm still kinda hot. [Wink] So, I'm a semi-hot 36 year old mother of two, and that seems just right for me. [Big Grin]

It's the fact that I'm having cataract surgery today that makes me feel old. But I guess as long as the parts that break down are replaceable, I'll be fine. *giggle*

DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in Italy in 1991, it feels like sooo long ago
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

Epictetus, I've sent you an email [Smile]
Taalcon
Member # 839

BTW, people who place nice bids get cool unlisted unique bonus materials, too.
katharina
Member # 827

I'll send you the effigy and your copy of Talisman for them. *hoping for unique bonus materials*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

For "nice" read: Generous.
katharina
Member # 827

Plus, cream cheese brownies.

Added: homemade

Added again: Which I really, really need to make to send to Hobbes. I've been putting off writing him because I want to include the brownies, but I need to get cream cheese and butter first. *makes note to self*

Snarky
Member # 4406

- posted      Profile for Snarky   Email Snarky         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there anything I can do to earn some of these brownies?
Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Comment est-ce que you were in college in 1991, Tom? Or should we call you "Doogie"?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Figure I should be able to get at least a dollar a piece
You should be able to get more than $1 for that Storm Trooper Han. Not a rare piece, exactly, but it was never sold in stores.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
AFR: Yeah, I was a bit young for college.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.