FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What if God was one of us? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What if God was one of us?
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been spending a lot of time over in the ID/Evolution threads lately and have been thinking a lot about God and belief. So I wondered: If everybody stopped believing in God, would that kind of make him unemployed? From there I kind of stumbled upon the idea of a "God for hire" which led me to these questions:

What if God was one of us and unemployed?
What kind of job might God apply for?

So I started thinking about jobs that God might have if he decided to be a mortal like us. I realize that this is kind of blasphemous, and honestly I'm a bit offended myself, but I figure that God must have a sense of humor. So anyway, I thought it would be entertaining to think of some possible careers for an unemployed God.

I figure a creative bunch like you guys could come up with some pretty amusing ideas. Anyway, I'll get it started and hopefully anyone that isn't offended will add some even better ideas.

God the weatherman - "accurate weather 99.9% of the time"
God the newspaper carrier - "local news brought to you before it happens"
God the bookie - "get your Super Bowl picks here"
God the caddie - "5 iron over the second tree. trust me"
God the puppeteer - "free will at its best"
God the magician - "Siegfried, Roy, and God"
God the army recruiter - "I Want You" is a lot more powerful when it's God pointing the finger at you
God the pizza delivery man - "pizza delivered anywhere in the universe in under 30 minutes"

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
God the Gardener--Eden was just my warm-up.
God the Doctor--Why settle for someone only playing God.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
God the Inventor - Great new stuff from the guy who brought us Mosquitos and Cancer!
God, Dentist and Archetect - From Pearly Whites to Pearly Gates
God the Contract Lawyer - Free Will (with purchase of other legal documents)

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
God the Mortician-- Trust me, I know what's in fashion right now.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
God the Stockbroker: SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL!
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
?
Member # 2319

- posted      Profile for ?   Email ?         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
God the weatherman - "accurate weather 99.9% of the time"
I'm pretty sure if that ever happened He'd be right 100% of the time.

History Teacher- not just speculation anymore.
Science Teacher- why hear theories when you can really know how it all happens.

?

Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
God the Parent: Tough love, baby - you think I was joking about sparing the rod?

*heads off to bed giggling*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
God the temp -- doing your job, better, for less money.

God the game show host -- "I'm sorry, you must answer in the form of a prayer."

God the shoe repairman -- "I made all Creation in six days, I'll have your shoes ready next Tuesday."

God the landscaper -- All you get is straight and narrow paths.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Carpenter - 2000 years of experience, crosses a specialty!
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
God the insurance salesman -- "Trust me dude, you need this."
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

[ROFL]
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

God the mortician - "See ya tomorrow, um... I mean, have a nice day"
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What if God was one of us?
It took my two years to get that *&%^@# song out of my head. Thanks alot! [Wall Bash]
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
That's the only line of the song that I actually know.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
"What if god smoked cannibus?"

I like Weird Al. [Smile]

I'm honestly not a big fan of either song, but this thread made me think of that.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
God the Judge: Sentences go from Life to After-Life
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
God the Revrend? Must be interesting...
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
"What if God was one of us?"

He was.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Come on, Dags! Play!
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
God the Comedian--You didn't think I was serious about the duckbilled platypus, did you?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

God the science teacher - "I really do exist, I just can't talk about it"
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"What if god smoked cannibus?"

I like Weird Al.

I like Weird Al, too, but he had absolutely nothing to do with that song. I mean, come on. "Weird Al" Yankovic write a song about illicit drug use?

A long of parodies are floating around the Internet attributed to him--some of them very dirty, and some sung by women. You'd think he owned the exclusive rights to the concept of parody. [Roll Eyes] Anyway, if you encounter a parody on the Internet that has his name on it, always check his website for confirmation, especially if the person singing it doesn't even sound remotely like him. . . .

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Verily beat me to the correction on that one. (It's a pet peeve of mine.) But back on topic, if God was an accordian player, He'd be Weird Al.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

Hmmm. I had always heard it attributed to him. I don't have a copy of the song to listen to, and I guess I'm too lazy to google it. Sorry.

quote:
"Weird Al" Yankovic write a song about illicit drug use?
A song written about illicit drug use? By a modern artist? The scandal!
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Weird Al wouldn't do that. Most of his music is about TV or food. It's stuff you can let your 7 yr old listen to safely.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
God the Professor - Hey, this one really would know everything!
God the Librarian - "Now, don't lie to me, I know that you haven't returned your books yet."
God the Water Sanitation Supervisor - "You thought that water into wine was a neat trick; wait til you see what I do with sewage!"

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BunnV
Member # 6816

- posted      Profile for BunnV   Email BunnV         Edit/Delete Post 
God the Lifegaurd - Running toward drowning victims is faster that swimming toward them.

God the Lifegaurd - "Hah! Do I know CPR?"

Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

Thanks! Now every time I think about God I'm going to visualize David Hasselhoff [Wall Bash]
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
God the restaurant owner: 7 loaves and 2 fish for everyone.

God the demolitionist: your choice, earthquake, tornado, or flood.

God the quarterback: Hail Mary every time

God the philosopher/writer: Do I exist? If so why I can’t just let everyone know?

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
God the Lifeguard - "Have faith and just stand up."
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by camus:
Thanks! Now every time I think about God I'm going to visualize David Hasselhoff [Wall Bash]

You mean you didn't before? Um, me neither.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

God the Jewish Mother--I told you gentiles, but did you listen? Oy Vei. And do you write? 10 billion children, and not one call on mother's day? You want a plague young man, I'll show you a plague.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

God the game show host - I'm afraid it was the Mormons. Yes, the Mormons were the correct answer.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BunnV
Member # 6816

- posted      Profile for BunnV   Email BunnV         Edit/Delete Post 
God the Nanny - "Well, I warned you that if you kept making silly faces it would get stuck that way."
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
If God were one of us, he'd kick our butts at everything. He might be human, but He's still God. Tallest in the NBA, biggest in football, best at everything. Geez, that would stink.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

God the Stewardess--In case of an emergency, survivors will find exits there, there, and there. The remainder will follow me.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A song written about illicit drug use? By a modern artist? The scandal!
I understand that you were just itching to use that barbed sarcasm on me, but it's evident you don't know much about "Weird Al" Yankovic.

I'll grant you that the trend for the past several decades has been to get raunchier and more rebellious, so you can hardly find music anymore that doesn't glorify drug use, promiscuous sex, and casual violence. So I would not be the least bit surprised to see a new artist come out that sang about these things. But you see, just because "everyone else" is doing it doesn't mean Weird Al likes to go that route. His music is always family friendly, though he has had a couple of songs over the years for which that would depend on the family. Your mileage may vary, but one thing he's not going to do is write a song glorifying drug use. That's just not his style.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

God the game show contestant - "For the fiftieth time, yes, that's my final answer"
ShadowPuppet
Member # 8239

- posted      Profile for ShadowPuppet   Email ShadowPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
God hosting "who wants to be a millionaire"

*intense music plays as contestant steps up to the chair*

God: "here's your check for a thousand dollars"

Contestant: "but...I...uh"

God: "and by the way it's donatello and he's the purple one"

Posts: 83 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
God the bounty hunter - DOG and GOD... one and the same? Find out tomorrow on A&E!
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

God the Father==I brought you into this world, and I sure as me can take you out of it.
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
WERE WERE WERE WERE WERE WERE WERE WERE WERE WERE WERE WERE!!!!!!!

Okay, I feel better now.

Carry on.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
God the football coach - "Let's go for a Hail Mary!"

God the Zookeeper - "You should have seen the ones that DIDN'T make it onto the ark."

God on the Witness Stand - "Swearing on the Bible is really more of a formality don't you think?"

God the Landscape Artist - "Finally! A chance to fix all the things that have been bothering me all this time!"

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

[Laugh] "The remainder will follow me."
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
God The Comedian- "Hello, my name is Mitch Hedburg"
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

quote:
I understand that you were just itching to use that barbed sarcasm on me, but it's evident you don't know much about "Weird Al" Yankovic.
Heh. Well, I do know a little bit about him. He doesn't own the patent on parody. He's been making songs since, gosh, before my time. [Smile] I can name a dozen of his songs I like. I seem to recall a factoid about how he burns an accordion on stage after each show. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. The fact he didn't write this song, I did not know.

I'm not much for sharing information about myself on Hatrack. I'll tell you I like a wide variety of music, but I will also tell you I know only a miniscule amount about the artists or bands. It's a contradiction, I'm sure, in the era of VH1 and MTV. It seems so many people around me will vacantly sit and watch music news blurbs and tv shows dedicated to gossip and trivia about celebrities and famous people.

Me, I turn the TV off after the news.

I'm not interested in the celebrities, the artists, or their lives. I couldn't give a rats dribble about Hollywood. Impact on my life because of my lack of interest in this stuff? The biggest drawback so far has been my astounding loss in trivia contests. [Smile]

I'm glad Weird Al Yankovic is family friendly, though. [Smile]

And in the spirit of the thread:

God the retail salesman: "You need to buy the extended warranty on this...trust me." [Wink]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, he isn't ALWAYS family friendly.

If I had kids, I wouldn't let them listen to most of "Bad Hair Day"

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
God the cop: Judge, Jury, Executioner, Redeemer.

I can picture the cliche scene where the captain confronts the loose cannon cop and gets his badge and gun.

Captain: You're out of control, Lt. Jehovah, I want Your badge now!

Jehovah slams down sun-bright flaming badge, desk starts to smolder and smoke.

Captain begins sweating and trembling.
On second thought, You keep it. But You better toe the line, or, uh, else!
*weakly* Dismissed.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
God the HR Professional "Bow down before me!"

(Okay, that's all HR professionals)

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
God the Exorcist-- removing the middleman improves efficiency.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.