FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » NFL Discussion Thread (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: NFL Discussion Thread
Winder
Member # 8685

- posted      Profile for Winder   Email Winder         Edit/Delete Post 
Which team will remain undefeated the longest?
I'll say the Redskins just because that would drive me crazy. The Bengals may stay undefeated until they have to play Indy...then they must lose. And the Bucs will probably lose soon.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Art Vandelay
Member # 8690

- posted      Profile for Art Vandelay   Email Art Vandelay         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Indy stays undefeated the longest (unless Peyton gets hurt, then they're screwed).
Posts: 31 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Winder
Member # 8685

- posted      Profile for Winder   Email Winder         Edit/Delete Post 
We can win without Peyton [Big Grin]

(...ha...yeah right...)

Posts: 25 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
52 points for the Packers with a completely juryrigged offense? What? Thank the Lords of Kobol for the bye week next week - maybe someone productive will come back. Like perhaps a running back.

PS - Go Cowboys.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
And the Saints got the long hard shaft, yet again.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh, the Panthers are playing heart attack-inducing games every dang week. Just like they did two years ago.

But couldn't we just steam roller one of these teams?

Big cheers for LT of the Chargers, though. Tied the record for most consecutive games with a touchdown (18) and managed to rush for a touchdown, catch a touchdown pass and THROW a touchdown pass...

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Second time this season he's done it.

You've never seen a halfback pass? They're fairly common.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, that Dallas-NYG was ugly. 8 turnovers, 1 offensive TD for each team. Lots of 1 yard runs. Bleh.

but as a Cowboy fan in NJ, I'll take what I can get.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
hey guys, help me out. I'm trying to think of something good to say about the Vikings.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

Umm, at least that cruise boat didn't sink?

The purple uniforms still look snazzy?

It's cool when the owner of the team's name is Ziggy?

Beyond that, I'm all out of upbeat comments on the Vikes. [Smile]

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, I got one. At least they're only a game out of first place in their division.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
They have that awesomely annoying Viking horn noise when they have a good play.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Camus, can't help ya...Bears fan here LOL
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Would David Carr do better if they just got rid of his offensive line? I feel terrible for the kid - he has no chance whatsoever to throw the blasted ball!
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

If they would put David Carr in the shotgun formation, he could get a good head start on the defense that way. All he'd have to do is catch the hike, pivot 180 degrees and run like made for his own end zone.

Sure it'd give up two points each time, but he might be able to survive until next season.

Carrie
Member # 394

Dear Brett Favre,

At the beginning of this season, I was wondering why you would want to come back for yet another season. You're kind of old, kind of unreliable, but you are still the heart and soul of the Green Bay Packers. There was no way that I would even consider you being around for another season after this one.

You've changed my mind. Well, okay, both you and the injury-laden season the Packers' offense is having.

First, due to the slew of recent injuries, I have changed my mind. I would very much like it if a) you would keep yourself alive and healthy and b) come back for one final year to actually play with a complete team, instead of one having been depleted by season-ending injuries. I can't imagine how hard it must be to keep losing essential players like Ahman Green, Javon Walker, and the rest of the receiving corps - let alone continue to play after the departure of Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera. Many of the aforementioned players still on the Green Bay roster are up for free agency and have the talent (and agent) to go elsewhere. There really isn't much to keep them in Green Bay - except you and your devotion to the game.

Look, I'm going to be honest: Aaron Rodgers isn't ready to take over the team. Granted, I have no idea how well (or not) his practices have been going, but he is not and I doubt he will even begin to be emotionally ready to take over the team and do what's needed - keep the team and (more importantly) the city optimistic. He's a very talented player; he just needs to learn in a more... positive... setting.

That's why you need to stay one more year.

I'm not asking for a miracle. I don't want you to stick around until you're old like Vinny Testaverde. That's... actually disturbing. No, just one more season is all I ask.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you've already told Mike of your intentions to retire on the second of January and are glad to be getting out of the game. Maybe you don't love the game and just pretend to be disappointed and disgusted after losses and overly excited when good things happen. Maybe you weren't trying to encourage Fergie to keep his head in the game during the Panthers game.

Far be it from me to know your limits better than you. Don't do anything damaging - but don't take the easy way out and leave because the going got tough for a year. You made it through the Ray Rhodes years. You can make it through one and a half more.

Sincerely,

A Devoted Fan

(Hooray for fits of passion and BOO to injuries. Oh, and Go Badgers! One Wisconsin team's got to do well, right?)

Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
*waves terrible towel*

*sings* Here we go Steelers, here we go!!!

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
*waves at Tammy*

I have to say my boys' defense looks solid...

now if we can just get the offense going again, I think we're in good shape... and I think that'll happen as the line re-settles and Julius Jones returns. He may not have done well, but I think he is regarded as a real threat at RB and teams played to stop him, resulting in Bledsoe's early success...

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
*waves terrible towel at Jim* [Smile]

Great Picture!

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone want to state how they see the rest of the regular season playing out?

I picked the Patriots, the Steelers, the Colts, and the Broncos to win their divisions in the AFC before the season started, and that looks accurate, but in the NFC, I liked the Vikings, and the Panthers to go with Philly and Seattle. I look a bit off there, especially with the Vikes being my pick to lose the NFC title game. Whoops.

From here on out, looking at the schedules, this is what I got:

AFC:

1. Indy
2. Pittsburgh
-------
3. Denver
4. New England
5. Jacksonville
6. Cincy

On the outside looking in, San Diego, and KC.

In the NFC:
1. Seattle
2. Atlanta
-----------
3. Philly
4. Detroit (easier schedule than Chicago)
5. Carolina
6. Washington/NYG or Dallas (i go with Washington but that's my redskins bias showing.

If i were to predict the playoffs, it would be hard since I can't remember if the seeds are reshuffled following each game but here's what I'd have:

Wild Card Round:
Cincy over Denver, New England over Jville
Philly over Washington, Carolina over Detroit

Divisional Round:
Philly over Seattle, Atlanta over Carolina
Indy over New England, Pittsburgh over Cincy

Conference Title Games:
Indy over Pittsburgh, and Philly over Atlanta

Super Bowl:

Indy over Philly

Anyone else care to share some 2nd half of the year predictions? Doesn't have to be this thorough (and this potentially wrongheaded).

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

I'm still thinking it's Carolina vs Indy in the Super Bowl.

The winner, let's say that Carolina has never been beaten by Indy.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Sure looks like Indy's year.

The only other thing I'm gonna predict is Dallas goes 10-6 on the year and wins their first playoff game in a decade or so...

Assuming Julius Jones comes back after the bye.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

quote:
Originally posted by Jim-Me:
Sure looks like Indy's year.

The only other thing I'm gonna predict is Dallas goes 10-6 on the year and wins their first playoff game in a decade or so...

Assuming Julius Jones comes back after the bye.

Dallas has got a real difficult schedule. I could see them getting the wild card. But they still have road games with Philly, NYG, Washington, and Carolina, and at best I'd think they go 1-3 with that schedule. The home games against Arizona, Detroit, Denver, KC, and St Louis look like a stretch where they should grab 2-3 wins, possibly four. That would give them a floor expection of about 8-8, and a ceiling expectation of about 10-6 or 11-5. I have them finishing 9-7, but they may finish 10-6. I really think 1 game will separate NYG, Washington and Dallas, and only 1-2 will separate the NFC East winner, and the cellar dweller.
Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Gotta remember, Philly is after the bye week and NYG is after the long break from thanksgiving... traditionally strong games for Dallas.

And this Defense is already something special and getting better... the problem is opposing defenses don't respect the run without Jones in there... if he comes back then expect Bledsoe to go back to his insane quarterback rating... and expect teams to start losing.

key stat: well... I can't get to it, but the cowboys are something like the best team in the league in the red zone with JJ and the worst in the league without him... maybe it's just the NFC, but still, pretty telling.

graywolfe
Member # 3852

quote:
Gotta remember, Philly is after the bye week and NYG is after the long break from thanksgiving... traditionally strong games for Dallas.

And this Defense is already something special and getting better... the problem is opposing defenses don't respect the run without Jones in there... if he comes back then expect Bledsoe to go back to his insane quarterback rating... and expect teams to start losing.

key stat: well... I can't get to it, but the cowboys are something like the best team in the league in the red zone with JJ and the worst in the league without him... maybe it's just the NFC, but still, pretty telling.

Don't bet on Bledsoe. He's been on the downside of his career for a long time going. He's a damn sight better than a lot of vet QB's around the league but he's not gonna all of a sudden turn into 1996 Bledsoe when JJ is back. He is what he is, a strong armed, immobile QB, who makes bad decisions and forces throws because he can. He also can be pretty good.

We won't know who will be getting the two playoff slots (maybe three) from this division until the last week or two of the season but this is a huge stretch for my Redskins. Murderous schedule for the whole division it seems, I wonder why.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Because the NFC East and the AFC West are the two strongest divisions in football today and they play each other this year.

As for Bledsoe, he's a significantly better QB than anything Dallas has had since Aikman retired. And yes, he is 1996 Bledsoe when JJ is in, or when, as they did today, they get the running game going.

When defenses can't T off, pin their ears back, and come after him, Bledsoe has been fantastic. When they've put 8 in the box to stop JJ, Bledsoe has made them pay, significantly. When the Dallas running game is working, they have as much balance and as many weapons as any team in the NFL... big, physical, possession receiver, deep threat, pro-bowl tight end, speedy, tough running back, solid offensive line... and a quarterback who *can* take advantage of his weapons.

Ignore them at your peril...

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Forget JJ. I love him, but how about Marion Barber v. 3.0! That kid can run.

Dear Saints,
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Sincerely,
JT

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

All time greatness:

The patriots were flagged for "performing an unnatural act in an attempt to draw the offense offsides"

[ROFL]

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

They tried to draw the Bills offsides. This is illegal if they: make sharp motions towards the offensive line, or mimic the quarterback cadence.
Carrie
Member # 394

quote:
The patriots were flagged for "performing an unnatural act in an attempt to draw the offense offsides"
And here I thought the officials actually caught the human sacrifices going on...
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

you have to admit the explanation was awesome, though, yes? (the called penalty was "delay of game, defense")
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

anyone want to give me odds on the cowboys sweeping the next four games coming back from the bye?

(for those who don't know it's @Philly, Detroit, Denver-Thanksgiving , @NY Giants)

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Double or nothing.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

You won't give me any hedging on that schedule, JT?

Ok... double or nothing... but if I win can we do something besides Krispy Kremes? that much sugar is likely to give me type II diabetes.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Yeah, but we can cross that bridge when/if the 'boys sweep those four.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Culpepper is out for the season.

He suffered ACL, MCL, and PCL damage to his knee yesterday. Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

yeeps... I hope he can come back from that... I mean ever... [Frown]
graywolfe
Member # 3852

quote:
Because the NFC East and the AFC West are the two strongest divisions in football today and they play each other this year.

As for Bledsoe, he's a significantly better QB than anything Dallas has had since Aikman retired. And yes, he is 1996 Bledsoe when JJ is in, or when, as they did today, they get the running game going.

When defenses can't T off, pin their ears back, and come after him, Bledsoe has been fantastic. When they've put 8 in the box to stop JJ, Bledsoe has made them pay, significantly. When the Dallas running game is working, they have as much balance and as many weapons as any team in the NFL... big, physical, possession receiver, deep threat, pro-bowl tight end, speedy, tough running back, solid offensive line... and a quarterback who *can* take advantage of his weapons.

Ignore them at your peril...

He is better, but that isn't saying much. If he was actually good, New England and Buffalo would have kept him. Neither was interested. He's very, very hot and cold, and mostly cold. I expect him to take a down turn soon enough. He had plenty of weapons, indeed better or equal weapons in Buffalo in McGahee, Moulds, and Evans. Still it didn't happen.

He's had a ton of problems with consistency and I expect them to continue. I would be shocked if he could equal his '96-'97 era productivity, 4000 yards, 28 TD's, 14 picks, if he can equal that it will be amazing and the Cowboys will definitely make the playoffs. Alas, even with his great TD-Int ratio, I dont expect it to happen. He should be better, having met up with Parcells again but beyond that, I'm not expecting a return to his mid-nineties form.

Division should be a dog fight. Will be interesting, we'll know whether or not my Redskins have any chance at grabbing a playoff slot tonight. If they cant beat this eagle team tonight, even being without their only Defensive Lineman with talent (Griffin is out) which should open up a big game for Westbrook, the Redskins still have to have this game. I expect an Eagle win, because that's what's happened anytime the Redskins have needed a big win for the past 13 years.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Saints lost again, but at least they didn't get screwed by poor officiating or give it away through poor play. It was actually a pretty well played game, plus I was there, so all in all about as good a loss as you can get.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Congrats to the skins last night. I'm a little worried now because the Eagles have to be appraoching "desperate" and a desperate team that still has weapons makes for a tough opponent next week...

Interestingly enough, Bledsoe is on pace to do almost exactly what you said: 4038 yds, 26 TD, 12 INT. For half the season, anyhow, he's been that productive... and I don't see him getting worse, with the cowboy running game improving as it has.

Edit: was anyone else amazed at Vermiel's call on the goal line? 3pts down, 5 seconds to play, calls a running play to go for the win... just wow.

I have to resort to quoting "Top Gun"-- "gutsiest move I ever saw, man."

[ November 07, 2005, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

Sopwith
Member # 4640

Vermeil and gutsy aren't two words used together very often. I loved what he said about the decision -- "I'm too old to wait."

And the Panthers ran it to five straight wins!!! Yeeehaw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I'm not sure which Tampa performance I was more impressed by-- the panthers or their cheerleaders [Evil]
graywolfe
Member # 3852

Jin:

Yes, Bledsoe is on pace, I noticed this as well, one problem, every easy, or relatively pass friendly defense on his schedule was in the first half of the year. After facing San Diego, San Fran, Oakland, Seattle, and Arizona in five of his first 8 games, none of which are any great shakes defending against the pass, Dallas must face Philly, Denver, Washington, and Carolina in the second half, and additionally, there isn't really a single cake defense left on their schedule, even Detroit is actually fairly competant when it comes to generating turnovers and stopping offenses (it's their offense that's been killing them, not their defense). The rest of the way, Dallas essentially has one game that can be considered a Lock. And that's it.

I seriouly doubt that Bledsoe's pace continues as it has been with that second half schedule. Remember, if S. Moss continued as his pace preceding the Giants game, he would have finished the year with about 85-90 receptions for about 1850 yards. As much as I love the Redskins, I'm not a homer, he'll be locked up again in a game or two or three, like he was a week ago, just as Bledsoe will run into problems in the second half.

I will agree with you, as I suggested earlier, that Bledsoe should have his best performance this year since the late nineties, but with the schedule Dallas has, I'm not at all sold it will be enough. I'd be astounded if Dallas finishes this year any better than 9-7 and 8-8 will be difficult. Unless the troika Atlanta and Carolina start dropping games soon, looks like we may only get two playoff teams out of the East. If I were to guess, I'd say they'd be NYG, and Washington because of the schedules, records, and tiebreakers they own.

It will be huge, no matter what happens, Washington's playoff hopes will likely rest on how they perform in December. They open the month at Arizona, and then finish with Dallas, and NYG at home, and Philly on the road. How Washington performs there will likely define who gets in the playoffs in the division, and how many teams.

Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
And the Patriot/Colt pregame has started.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Great. Seven hours till kickoff, then.

Lemme guess, they're talking about TO?

By the way, hatrack sportsfans will love this:

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=3328

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Well, for the schedule, it is a bear, but I think you really underestimate this Dallas team.

Three weeks in a row, the top offense in the league, either in points or yardage, came in. None of them left with more than 13 points.

They can shut down anybody and have an incredible balance on offense... and that gets better for them with the pending returns of Julius Jones and Patrick Crayton. Sometimes, when your third receiver coming back is important, itmeans your team is looking for excuses, but in Dallas's case, it just shows how deep they go.

And BTW, Jimmy Johnson agrees with me. On Friday I gave Dallas a 1 in 6 chance of getting to the superbowl this year. On Sunday, Johnson picked them to be the NFC representative.

As for your skins, 3 division games is obviously going to have a big impact... but, I think the next three games are going to tell a lot about Washington... Oakland and San Diego are much better than their records... and while Tampa Bay may not be as good as theirs, they are going to be revved up to prove that they are.

graywolfe
Member # 3852

Jimmy's their former coach, that's like asking Dan Snyder what he thinks of the Redskins. I could care less what Johnson thinks about the Cowboys prospects.

Let's put it this way, I think that all four teams will have in front of them, a second half schedule that will define if they're good enough to do damage in the playoffs. Not one of us has an easy road although the SOS is disparate for all of us. Anyone making the playoffs will have earned it, anyone missing them, should have been in ahead of the rep from the NFC North, whomever they end up being.

Crayton's very good btw, any idea why he got in Parcell's doghouse?

As for how it plays out:

NYG 3-1 to win division
Washington 4-1
Dallas 9-2
Philly 6-1

I still think Philly has a shot, but McNabb has to find out how to get wins while hurt, and they got to use their brains and get Westbrook in positions to help them. Give him 15-20 carries minimum and 25-35 touches per game. They don't do that, they won't sniff the playoffs, they do, they can. Reggie Brown and Greg Lewis are much better WR's than anything they had in the pre-T.O. era w/McNabb. They're fully capable of coming back and making this a four team race till the midnight on Sunday.

As for selling Dallas short. I don't think so, I expected you guys to sweep my Redskins, and battle for a Wild Card this year. The latter is still definitely possible as is a Wild Card. I'm just not sold on the offense (ditto the Redskins offense which is still sputtering at best whenever they play a good team), and the defense, while not bad, is not as elite as you think it is either. We'll see what happens. I'm just glad the NFC East is back. It's been dead for far, far too long. Remember, from the fall of 1986 through January of 1996, the NFC East grabbed every Super Bowl the Niners failed to grab, seven of ten (3 for Dallas, and 2 a piece for NYG and Washington) The good old days appear back again [Smile] (although the '93-'95 era wasn't that great as NYG, Phoenix/Arizona and the Redskins stunk and the Eagles were erratic).

Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know what the music is that ESPN uses behind their defensive unit intros? They use "Who Are You?" by The Who behind the offensive team intros. I recognise the music but can't for the life of me think who it is! Anyone help?
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I was shocked to hear Yes's "Cinema" on Fox's Sunday show, but I wasn't paying attention to ESPn's music.

Crayton is not in Parcell's doghouse... he's hurt. They thought he had broken his ankle on a late catch against the Giants. Parcells was needling him publically about holding on to the football better, but I wouldn't count that as "in the doghouse".

graywolfe
Member # 3852

I'm not talking about now, several weeks ago word was that he was in the doghouse, I saw this from multiple sources. Didn't really understand why as he seemed to be quite productive whenever he was getting looks.

Btw, you might want to check out scout.com, they handle a ton of sports forums, including the admittedly problematic "The Ranch" which has been a Cowboys forum for about half a decade. CPND (the Redskins site) has been around in various incarnations since 1995, and great debate can be had there.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.