FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » boyfriend problems(seriously) (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: boyfriend problems(seriously)
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
KoM, I would be happy to discuss this with you, but this thread is NOT the place for it.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
The beginning of this thread, at least, reminds me of The Mirror Has Two Faces, which we watched not too long ago. Strikingly similar situation, to some extent. It was an entertaining movie.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
heck, dkw, KoM, use it for whatever you want. It's not like it's stuck to the original topic anyway.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I am happy for you in your decision, your strength, and your maturity, Tinros. [Smile]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, before I say anything, I'll admit: this was a long thread, so I didn't read all of it.

Tinros, I really admire you and your boyfriend for not getting into the "physical stuff". I'm also a christian, and I was raised on the whole "courtship" idea.

There's a saying: "If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, it's yours. If it doesn't, it never was." I think that might apply to you situation. If he is really in love with you, he'll be serious after he gets out of college, like he says. If he's not, he'll move on and so should you. Trust me, you don't want to be tied up with someone who doesn't love you back. You deserve better. And there's nothing wrong with just being friends.

I know there was something else I was going to say....I'll probably think of it later when I'm nowhere near a computer.

(edit: I just read that you broke up. I guess that makes my post somewhat, but not completely, irrelevent.)

[ August 19, 2005, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: Eruve Nandiriel ]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear about your breakup, Tinros. Are you feeling okay?

It's very important that you don't let your depression go untreated. Untreated depression tends to get worse over time, and it can lead to suicide. Please, please, please, get help. I hope you'll give a psychologist or counselor another shot. Or, ask dkw suggested, a pastor. At the very least, you should mention this to your doctor the next time you have a checkup.

There is no good reason to live with untreated depression. It's a debilitating illness, and it's usually pretty treatable. Going on anti-depressants was one of the best things that ever happened to me. Please get help.

Regarding the relationship issues, you might benefit from continuing to think about who you are and what you really want out of life. Moral guidelines don't always work when they're not internalized. You don't need a boyfriend or a parent or a pastor to regulate your behavior--and you had better not depend on them if you're going off to college. It's hard to do your homework, and eat only one cookie, and go to bed at a reasonable time when you don't have a parent telling you what to do. (Well, those are problems for me, anyway.) But if you realize that those rules are in place for your benefit, then it's easier to follow them on your own. And if rules that you make, or your religion makes, or someone else makes are causing you serious problems, then maybe, just maybe, it's the rules that are wrong. Just a thought.

If you're going to abstain from sex or other behaviors, don't do it for God or anyone else. Do it for yourself.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*lives in CA*

Just because everyone you know is unhappy doesn't mean that everyone in the world is. I would never think of my parents getting back together, they had a horrible marriage. Doesn't mean I do.

quote:
The 2nd did the smart thing and moved in with the guy instead of marriage (for now).

See, I wouldn't consider this "the smart thing", since it's immoral to me.

[ August 19, 2005, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, for a new member of Hatrack, I'd say you've gotten off to a swimming start, LordKaosnix.

I can hardly wait to see what other clever things you have to say.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't be a moron LordKaosnix. You are being deliberately insulting to someone who made no judgements towards you at all. She merely countered your statement with her personal experience. There are many other experiences just like hers. I know of many experiences on both sides. The problems have less to do with age than you think.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
LK, I have no problem with other religions. I have two sisters who live with their boyfriends. I love them anyway. I don't think it's the right thing, but I don't condemn them for it.

And I'm not Protestant.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Step off, Kaosnix. You're a newbie here and you haven't learned, so I'll put it gently: that's not the way we talk to each other on this site. Ever.

You will get banned very, very quickly if you make a habit of that kind of thing.

Try apologizing.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Good grief. You have appalling manners, young man.

Edit it and apologize, please.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Where clearly what she should have attacked is your spelling.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought everyone was being a little harsh on the Lord on another thread.

Never mind me.

Sounds like he wants to get attacked.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Um, if that's what you think I was saying, you need to work on your reading comprehension a little, dear.

I was trying very hard to be polite.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
She is not responsible for the tone you imagined. You are the rude one here. We just don't talk to each other like that on Hatrack.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

No, I wasn't insulted. I was just clarifying.

I happen to be LDS.

ElJay
Member # 6358

You swore. You called her a fanatic. You accused her of religious intolerance.

We're not reacting to a tone, we're reacting to your words.

And as usual, we're feeding the trolls instead of ignoring them like they deserve, but we usually give people a chance to learn how this community interacts before we start ignoring them. Here's your chance.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

What I don't understand is why he finds it personally insulting that I live in CA. [Confused]
ElJay
Member # 6358

A flimsy attempt to justify his response in an unsuccessful effort to look less like an idiot?
Tinros
Member # 8328

Please, I'm protestant, and one of my best friends is Hindu, another good friend is Catholic, yet another good friend is Buddhist... am I religiously intolerant?
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Oh, and LK, my parents might be getting a divorce soon... and I promised myself I'd never end up like they did. Am I wrong for thinking I'll end up happily married for life? Average life span: 80. Me:17. That gives me... 63 years, approximately, to court and find someone who WON'T treat me like a "pet dog." Do you think I stand a chance?
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
She wasn't putting stars around you living in California, she was emphasising that she lives in California.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

LK are you drunk?
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

- posted      Profile for Hmm216   Email Hmm216         Edit/Delete Post 
Im sorry but I couldnt ignore it, but somebody needs some spelling lessons. Does anyone else know what Im talking (typeing)about? Every post I see from this person has some horrible spelling in it!

I am not trying to be rude. I normally could care less, but these dont seem to be little typos.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

I can't trace my ancestors further than 5 generations. I know generally where I come from(Ireland, Germany mostly), and I have a very, very strong Catholic background.... but I am actually highly opposed to some Catholic practices. That doesn't mean that I can't like people or have friends in different countries and religions. Maybe YOU'RE the religiously intolerant one?
Tinros
Member # 8328

LK, how old are you?
ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:
Originally posted by LordKaosnix:

And I didnt swear at her.
I swore at the idea of me incourageing young marriages. And hey, its not like i didnt cencor my self. Didnt write the acual words did I?

quote:
Originally posted by LordKaosnix:

like i give a damn about what gets you off.

Tell me again that you didn't write the actual words? Or do you not consider "damn" a swear word?

Surrounding a term or phrase with astriks on the internet commonly denotes that it is a self-referential action. Hence if I typed " *hug* " it would mean that I was giving you a hug. kq grew up in California and lives there now.

This is one of the reasons it's a good idea to "lurk," or hang around a forum for awhile without posting. It helps you to understand how the community interacts, and learn the shorthand.

We recently had someone just start posting after lurking for four years. Why don't you follow his example?

Tinros
Member # 8328

Church burning protestants? They burned churches? Funny, I thought they just nailed letters of protest to doors, unless they were seriously screwed up in the head...
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
When you put stars around my liveing in CA, that made me see that you do not approve of California perhaps becouse of personal reasons or just the common stereo types out since the 50's.

When I put "stars" (asterisks) around something, it's denoting that I'm not using a complete sentence, but am "acting" or "being" what is being described.

It's a fairly common practice on Internet fora.

quote:
Neh, if i were intoxicated id be lovey to everyone and my spelling would be much much worse then it is now.
Perhaps you need ieSpell if you have that much of a problem with spelling. We consider it courteous here to make sure our posts are as readable as possible for others.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Either that, or it's the comfy chair!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

Thank You KetchupQueen, I am glad to know that I wasnt the only one who noticed!
Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

And we look at the Crusades, and wonder why Muslims tend to hate Christians.

Luther was the first Protestant. He set the example of peaceful protest. It's not right to say that all protestants of olden times were "church burners." If they were, the Catholic church would have ceased to exist by now.

Love your neighbor?

Hmm216
Member # 8403

When was the last time you took an English class? Im not trying to be rude, I am just Curious.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm sorry, did you think I had a problem with those terms? I don't. I have a hard time reading some of the rest of the stuff you have posted, though, and was offering a helpful tool to facilitate better communication.
ElJay
Member # 6358

We're not talking about slang. We're talking about spelling errors such as "fealing" for "feeling," "im" for "I'm," and "biest" for "biased." Along with mydrid others in your every post.

This is not a kiddie board. We value spelling and punctuation. Everyone makes mistakes, but your's are atrocious.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Laugh] ElJay [Big Grin]
ElJay
Member # 6358

See, you're doing better already. See what paying a little attention can do? Now go download that spellcheck program kq linked to and you will be down-right legible!

Goodnight!

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brettly10:
ugghhh Does anyone else feel like they are missing something when LK posts. Its like there are parts of a different conversation that only he is partaking in. BC is that you? [Big Grin] [Wink]

Good call. The spelling and punctuation mistakes are a bit forced in his posts. LK's writing looks a lot like it was written by someone deliberately trying to distinguish himself from his true identity on Hatrack. Could be BC, could be Fallow. Meh.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

(I don't think so, for the record. I think he's just used to gamer boards or other places that don't care and where you score points by being rude, so he doesn't know how to play nice yet. He might get there. Worth a shot.)
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The irony is, I think everyone who posted about LK's spelling errors had at least one of their own in the post where they commented.

*waits to see what hers will be*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*curious* Where was mine, rivka?

LK, since you seem to have a problem with spelling, and you were implying that it only gets worse, I was trying to help you out.

Tammy
Member # 4119

Are you having fun LordKaosnix?
Tinros
Member # 8328

"then it is now"- that would be a grammar mistake, one of which I believe KQ was talking about.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
"then it is now"- that would be a grammar mistake, one of which I believe KQ was talking about.
Actually, that's a spelling mistake more than grammar. But I was not implying that anything specifically in what I quoted was grossly misspelled-- just that other things in previous posts were.
Tammy
Member # 4119

quote:
My, my, everyone here so propor.
If this means what I think it means, then the answer is yes. They really are. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

...which is why I offered a free spellcheck program for your use and benefit.
Tammy
Member # 4119

quote:
A little. But then it's always nice to be someplace were people are nicer to you then they are in person.
You're being treated here nicer than you're treated in person?

[Frown]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I almost said that, too, Tammy.

But then I thought I might be accused of being mean if I did.

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Not fallow. I think my fallowdar is very nearly perfect, and this ain't it.

-o-

Last I heard, anyway, fallow was back and posting under a new name, and a bit more coherent and less insulting than before.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.