FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » P. Diddy is changing his name!

Author Topic: P. Diddy is changing his name!
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Who could have seen THIS coming?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get how it's newsworthy that he's dropping the P. He's just dropping the P! Agh! Agh!

I could handle Prince being known as a symbol. I could handle that. It made good legal sense. But this--this?!

Good grief.

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I can think of no way in which this warrants a thread.

Or a news story, for that matter.

When someone continues in their regular behavior, that's not news. He's changed his name once every 3-4 years since 1994. This is not news.

If he starts going by his actual birth name, that would be news.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
He just wants attention.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

"I felt like the 'P' was getting between me and my fans and now we're closer," Diddy said.

"During concerts, half the crowd is saying 'P. Diddy'--half the crowd is chanting 'Diddy'--now everybody can just chant 'Diddy.' "

He confessed that his unwieldy name was even starting to befuddle him.

"I even started to get confused myself--and when I'd called someone on the telephone it took me a long time to explain who I was. Too long," Diddy told the New York Post.

There are times when I despair of the human condition. And then there are times when I find the human condition very, very funny.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

quote:
There are times when I despair of the human condition. And then there are times when I find the human condition very, very funny.
I am experiencing both despair and hysteria right now.

*disgruntled*

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking of having people call me "T. Puffy Shvester". I'm thinking it will bring me closer to my fans.

Any feedback?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Regular folk don't have fans.

I suggest you start yelling your name over the intro to crappy records you produce, get some fans, have one of your large friends get shot, get famous by association, and then change your name.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

The P might get in the way, Tante.

How about DJ Jazzy Tante? Or Ol' Dirty Schvester?

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

M C Tante?
bunbun
Member # 6814

MC Fresh Tante
Snarky
Member # 4406

- posted      Profile for Snarky   Email Snarky         Edit/Delete Post 
Shvester Ice, definitely.
Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as this name chanting thing goes, I think bunbun has the right idea.

Diddy is now permanantly linked with the image of a quaint tune in my mind... And to match the proper spelling, I propose he immediately change his name to Ditty.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
While I can appreciate not wanting pee to get between you and your fans, someone needs to tell him that for a hardcore rapper his name still sounds a lot like babytalk for genitalia.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

"There she goes, just a-walkin' down the street, singing,

Doo Wop Diddy Diddy Dum Diddy Doo"

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
The last time a P got in the way of anything, it involved a princess and a nights sleep.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snarky
Member # 4406

quote:
While I can appreciate not wanting pee to get between you and your fans, someone needs to tell him that for a hardcore rapper his name still sounds a lot like babytalk for genitalia.

Maybe that's the whole idea.
Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that he hasn't quite grasped the concept of a nickname.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snarky
Member # 4406

It's like the kid I knew in junior high who nicknamed himself Raptor because he was obsessed with Jurassic Park.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

I want music critics to call him "Sean", much like Dumbledore would call Voldemort "Tom" to his face.

--Enigmatic
(is down wit tha ol' HP)

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Someone needs to start shouting Diddy Kong and make him into a gorilla.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Just...wow.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

He's rapidly running out of things to cut from his name. Should we start a pool on which letter is next to go?

Maybe he'll start a new subgenre of psychological hip hop and shorten his name to "id"

--E. Matikky

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I'm laying bets that just before he changes his name to an symbol, he will be known simply as "D".
Son of Shvester
Member # 8489

- posted      Profile for Son of Shvester   Email Son of Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
I'm laying bets that just before he changes his name to an symbol, he will be known simply as "D".

not before he tries 1000000000 other ways to make his name sound different while retaining the same sound (can you say D' Piddy)
Posts: 50 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he's spending way too much time refining a stage name that, when you get right down to it, was asinine to begin with.

My rapper name is Verily Da Yizzle. Then I'll shorten it to Verily, because that's what all the fans say anyway. Then it'll become just "True Dat".

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

And, verily, as we all know, dat's dat.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

I'm going to beat the crowd and start calling you True Dat now.

Tante, I think your son just upstaged you.

--Enigmatic

Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
Who needs to know what's going on in the middle east when we have real news going on right here!

*does the "raise the roof" gesture*

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Tante, I think your son just upstaged you.
<busting with pride> [Big Grin]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.