FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The John Mayer Thread: Why do you hate him?

Author Topic: The John Mayer Thread: Why do you hate him?
RoyHobbs
Member # 7594

- posted      Profile for RoyHobbs   Email RoyHobbs         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it because he sings like he's an out-of-breath girly boy or is it out of pure envy because he gets more action than you?

"One pair of candy lips and your bubble gum tongue..."

WTF???

Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't get tickets huh?
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
John Mayer is an incredible musician. He is an amazing guitar player, and plays "for real," not just in the studio.

Sorry to disappoint, but I am not jumping on the anti-John Mayer band wagon. I heard a live show of his before he hit the big time. He deserves all the fame, fortune, and all that goes along with it, that he has earned, and that he wants.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
I dislike all the John Mayer I've heard (I just don't enjoy his music . . . nothing more than that), but I do really like his song "Comfortable" when sung by the Rice Philharmonics.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he's actually pretty good. He's no Dave Matthews in terms of guitar skills, songwriting, or in general sound, but I like much of what he sings.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
  • Because his songs, which are sacharine at best, and only pleasing for a listen or two (at best) receive constant airplay.
  • Because of how freaking mellow he is. He [Mad] is [Eek!] the [Grumble] second [Wall Bash] freaking [Angst] coming [No No] of [Roll Eyes] the [Frown] Carpenters!
  • Because of the sexism in "Daughters" (or whatever that song is called.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
He was in a pretty funny skit on The Chappelle show, so I can't hate him. But I do like your description of the way he sings.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

No, he is no Dave Matthews because he is not really a rocker. He is more of a blues-soul-folk singer-songwriter.

And he is one hell of a blues guitarist.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I like him a lot, actually.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like listening to him on cd's or the radio, there he doesn't bother me at all. But on the live clips I've seen of him (crossroads guitar fest, some other PBS special) watching his face was nearly painful, moreso than most violinists I know when they are really into it.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Basing an artists's skill and talent on what the radio decides to play leads to a very limited scope of most musicians' work.
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Bleck. I hate that "Your body is a wonderland" song. Does that mean I lack a sex drive? If Mr. Opera sang that to me I'd be seriously creeped out.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I liked it.

Once.

When I was drugged.

And feverish.

>_<

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
'Icarus to have John Mayer's baby'

Film at 11.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
No, he is no Dave Matthews because he is not really a rocker. He is more of a blues-soul-folk singer-songwriter.

And he is one hell of a blues guitarist.

You've never heard Dave play blues music on the guitar? He's a lot better than John Mayer. Many of Dave's rhythms are South African folk inspired. Dave isn't really a rocker either, at least not by the standards set in the last...20 years or so. Dave is amped up folk. Just because he usually isn't as mellow as John Mayer doesn't make him that much more rock than folk/blues.

I put him in the same category as Dave Matthews because they belong there.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

I would have Dave's baby, if I were so inclined, equipped, and invited.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoyHobbs
Member # 7594

- posted      Profile for RoyHobbs   Email RoyHobbs         Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm... ewww
Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I like Jason Mraz better than John Mayer, though Jason's new cd is a bit strange.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

It's Dave! Let Beren have his baby if he wants.
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Thank you Lyrhawn. That's the first sensible thing I've heard all day.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'll support anything that brings more Matthews into the world.
Icarus
Member # 3162

And I'll support anything that takes John Mayer out of it. Maybe we can work together . . .
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"He's no Dave Matthews in terms of guitar skills, songwriting, or in general sound, but I like much of what he sings."

I like Dave Matthews. He's no [fill in the blank with your favorite guitar player] in terms of guitar skills, songwriting, or in general sound, but I like much of what he sings."

I think a lot of people are "better" than John Mayer, mainly because I like them better. Really, though, I was just trying to defend the poor guy, because, though he may be playing certain publicity cards right now, he is a good musician.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I like a few of his songs, am indifferent to most of them, and really hate a few. Which puts him about par as far as musicians go in my favor.

I like the acoustic version of "Your Body is a Wonderland" but not the regular version. I like "No Such Thing." Can't stand "Daughters." And so on...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
  • Because his songs, which are sacharine at best, and only pleasing for a listen or two (at best) receive constant airplay.
  • Because of how freaking mellow he is. He [Mad] is [Eek!] the [Grumble] second [Wall Bash] freaking [Angst] coming [No No] of [Roll Eyes] the [Frown] Carpenters!

<blink> You think "No Such Thing" is mellow? I can just hear Karen Carpenter singing "I wanna scream at the top of my lungs!"

That said, I love the Carpenters. I don't think I've ever heard a voice that compare's with Karen's, and their stuff is just classic.

If you want to hear a really, really disturbing version of "Close to You", though, check this out.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
As several people have said, it's foolish to judge any artist by what the radio plays. The singles are intended to appeal to the lowest common denominator, and usually aren't very good.

That said, I love acoustic guitar and anyone who plays good music on it. I think Mayer is a complete bad***, and is a much more skilled guitar player than Dave Matthews. I like Dave Matthews too, but they're totally different artists.

Put DMB songs next to John Mayer, they have almost nothing in common. John Mayer writes a lot of love songs, DMB writes a lot of altered-consciousness songs.

Before I really listened to John Mayer, I had a problem with the breathy vocals. But now, it's not that big a deal. I think he's a phenomenal songwriter/guitar player, and a good singer.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Mayer's high school song. It was cool.

I didn't really like Your body is a wonderland. It made me feel icky while I was listening to it.

What really made me hate him was the phrase: Bubbly toes. WHAT THE HECK was that about?!

Huh?? It's gross. It's weird. I hate it.

And what's with all the comparing of Mayer and Matthews? It's like comparing a hamburger with an orange.

Sheesh. They're totally different.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Who? [Dont Know]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't hate him, but I hate the whiny no-talent poser boys who invariably cover his songs at talent shows.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I actually have no idea what the man sounds like, but anyone who titles a song 'Your body is a wonderland' is a dork. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snarky
Member # 4406

- posted      Profile for Snarky   Email Snarky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kojabu:
I like Jason Mraz better than John Mayer, though Jason's new cd is a bit strange.

Jason Mraz's new song is so completely self-referential that it makes me want to vomit. John Mayer's "No Such Thing" was pretty good, but I can't stand anything else.
Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I actually have no idea what the man sounds like, but anyone who titles a song 'Your body is a wonderland' is a dork.
YES! [ROFL] That's exactly it.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You think "No Such Thing" is mellow?
Um, yeah.

(He say's he wants to scream, but he really isn't, you know. Just a little falsetto whine.)

Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's mellow. Seconded, thirded, whatever.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like John Mayer when I first heard him. A friend made me get his first album, and I listened to it a couple of times and was thoroughly unimpressed.

Later on I gave it another chance and ended up not hating it. By a couple more listens I became a fairly big fan. I've since bought his second album, and both of them are among my favorites.

I can see where the haters are coming from, but I'm no longer one.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh...who's John Mayer?
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What really made me hate him was the phrase: Bubbly toes. WHAT THE HECK was that about?!
Bubbly toes was Jack Johnson, for the record. I like Jack Johnson okay, but bubbly toes is a little weird. Fun, but, yeah, a tad weird.

*sings* If you would only listen, you might realize what you're missin'. You're missin' meeee....

Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"Bubbly toes"
I was just going to say that it was Jack "surfer Boy" Johnson.

I think people can get Jack Johnson, Ben Harper, and John Mayer confused at first listen.

And anyway, the world's best guitar player is upstairs in bed right now. He just turned nine.

Edit: Speed, I have some live John Mayer. Shoot me your address again. Well, let me see if I still have it.

Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
I actually like a few songs by both John Mayer and Jack Johnson. No hate here!
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.