FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm going to the snow for the first time! (sort of)

Author Topic: I'm going to the snow for the first time! (sort of)
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was about 16 I toured the North Island of New Zealand playing first trumpet in a highschool concert band.

Being from Caloundra in Queensland near Brisbane, none of us had ever seen the snow. Winter for us rarely dropped below 10 degrees. Celsius.

Even tho this tour was closer to spring than winter, when we got near the bottom of the north island we played in a little hamlet around a spectacular inland lake called Lake Taupo. We begged and pleaded and generally made a pain of ourselves until the teachers supervising the trip agreed to get our tour bus to take us to the mountains a few hours south which had had a very modest snowfall in recent days.

So we travelled nearly three hours there, excited as if it were Christmas.

As we got off the bus our teachers announced that we'd have just ten minutes to soak it all up before we had to hop back on the bus.

The reason?

Australia was playing the All Blacks (seriously, check out the videos when you click on the link at the top of the page. It's a traditional dance called "The Haka" they do at the start of every game.) and our teachers wanted to get back to the hotel to catch the match.

So we had but ten mintues in the snow because of a football match.

Fifteen years later and I'm still bitter, can you tell?

Anyway, it's my mother's Birthday, my sister lives in Jindabyne in the Snowy Mountains and we're all going for her birthday.

So for the first time in my life (sort of), I get to see the snow - for real!!

[The Wave]

(Plus I've already put my Ogame account in vacation mode and it feels great!)

Yay me!!

Catch you soon, Hatrack!

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Coooooolness. [Big Grin] Enjoy the snow, and don't get frostbite, eh?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Troubs, when you will be in Jindi?

I'm in Canberra from Mon - Fri next week, if you're passing though.

(In Melboune this weekend, also... )

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Snow is a glorious thing when you don't have to shovel it. Or drive in it. Alongside other drivers who have no idea how to drive in it.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Imogen - well we'll completely miss each other on both counts.

I leave for Jindy tomorrow morning and get back at 9am Monday...

Good lord, so close to be a "real" Jatrquero after all these years....

So close....

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh well.

Melbourne is nice this weekend. Went to Circa last night for dinner.

Yum. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.