FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Can You Pass the Third Grade?

Author Topic: Can You Pass the Third Grade?
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Try this and see. It's addicting.

It's whether you can identify all 48 states (except guess which two?) in under 3 minutes.

I finished with about half the time left.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I mixed up New Hampshire and Vermont. Other than that, I'm a good third-grader.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't fit Delaware into the tiny space, otherwise fairly smooth sailing.

Oh yeah, and Wisconsin and Minnesota got transposed.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Send me to fourth grade!

There's a website somewhere that also has Europe, Africa, South America maps like this. I got all confused with Eastern Europe.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snarky
Member # 4406

- posted      Profile for Snarky   Email Snarky         Edit/Delete Post 
Easy mnemonic device: Vermont is the one shaped more like a V.
Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Found it!

http://www.addictinggames.com/geographygameeurope.html

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I got them all on the first try. What do I win?
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
My grade-school years of playing state-tag have finally paid off! [Big Grin]
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
(thanks for that tip, Snarky!)

I had a hard time getting Delaware to register in the right space -- it wouldn't take it no matter how much I tried to get the arrow right on it!

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I'm curious -- how many of you automatically started with your home state first? (I did). Or did you work left-to-right, or right-to-left on the map? Or did you go down the order in the list of states?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Wow, I'm really bad at Europe.

Beyond the major nations, I missed everything. All the middle east places and old Soviet lands - not a clue.

I went alphabetically (for the states one).

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm curious -- how many of you automatically started with your home state first?
Not me. Apparently my state isn't good enough to include in their little game.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

You're right! They miss Alaska and Hawaii! I hadn't noticed.
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Ew, I'm horrible at Europe as well. *grumbles*
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

quote:
They miss Alaska and Hawaii! I hadn't noticed.
I noticed. I always notice.
Snarky
Member # 4406

- posted      Profile for Snarky   Email Snarky         Edit/Delete Post 
I got all of Europe. Hurray for me. I wonder why they left off Ukraine, though. I guess they also left off all the tiny countries like Luxembourg, Lichtenstein, the Vatican, and so on.
Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. I'm a remedial US student. I know the *general* location of most states, but it took too long to get them in the right spots by trial and error after the 15 or 20 I actually knew. I did, however, get perfect on the Canadian version, although I must say that's a *highly* stylized map. They're missing a whole lot of islands...

Edit: Yeah, Verily. The North gets ignored in Canada too.

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I got it. But those damn square states almost got me.

And Vermont is an upside down NH. [Smile]

I worked left to right.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I totally failed.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

- posted      Profile for TheSeeingHand   Email TheSeeingHand         Edit/Delete Post 
Took me 2 tries.....
Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Europe was hard. But I got all of the countries that existed when I was in school and some of the ones that didn't exist till later.

The states were incredibly easy.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

The states I did randomly, just picking a name and finding the state.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the states on the first try, no problem.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
The states weren't too bad. I had a little trouble with the northeast, but I always have (mainly those tiny states that I confuse). Everything else was just really easy. I'll try Europe when I get back from class this afternoon.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the states first try by randomly grabbing a name and putting it where it belonged. I did pretty well with South America (got Paraguay and Uruguay mixed up). Got most of Canada right, but failed Europe and Africa.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I accidentally let go of Utah when it was over Texas. It thought I was trying to put it in Texas. *grumbles* I know where Utah is! I live in Utah!

lol

Apparently this means I get to take the short bus to school.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I got 48/48 with time left over and it still told me I failed third grade. What's up with that?!?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't fail the third grade, whoever drew the borders failed me. American states are either so small it's hard to click on them or large and box-like and look just like their neighbour. Although I do notice an amusing trend that seems to say that square states have people who are squares and people from small states have the characteristics of short people trying to make up for their height.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
dkw: Same here. I hope they didn't track me. I'd hate to do 3rd grade again.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Vermont is shaped like a V; that's always how I told the difference (from third grade on, of course). [Big Grin]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rCX
Member # 8503

- posted      Profile for rCX           Edit/Delete Post 
grrr... square states... I confused Colorado with Wyoming.
Posts: 164 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.