FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I am trying meeting site...

Author Topic: I am trying meeting site...
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
For around a dozen of days, i have tryed a famous internet site to meet other single people on a friend's advice. He said me to try to meet someone just to see.

So after a reflection time, i decided to go.

But after this 12 days, nothing. I tryed to speake, to send mails. But it seems to be a sword slash on water. I yet tryed to be soft when i wrote.

So, i am a little disappointed tonight.
I would like to finish this week before stopping.

*sigh*

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you trying one of the personals sites based out of the USA, or is it one specifically for French singles? You might do better with something more local. Also be sure you upload pictures, as most of the sites have an option to only search for people with pics up.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

Yes, a french site. With all (Chat, mail, picts, profil, description, research,...).
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

I'd say stick it out a while longer (as long as it doesn't cost anything). I mean, it's not like you're losing anything by having your profile up. I've never met anyone through a personals site (my own website, yes, but that's different). However, I have a friend who has gone on dates with girls from internet personals sites. He uses the "scattergun approach" which is basically: Message every girl you're remotely interested in. If you message 30 or 40 women, one or two of them will probably message back and you can go from there.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

I did... And i'll follow your advice by continue...
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
I've found dating sites (in the past) to be difficult for meeting/finding a specific person, but good for just meeting people in general to talk to, go out with, et cetera. I totally agree with Enigmatic's suggestion.
Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

I'll agree with you, bunbun, if i could have just one answer.
bunbun
Member # 6814

Hang in there, and don't take it to heart--there's a trick to it. When I was on an online dating site (before I met Dagonee, who I met in person), my profile went like this:

"I like men who can read and laugh at my jokes."

For some reason, this went over better than alot of more serious profiles.

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I met my current girlfriend on a dating site. It takes a bit of perseverance, though - I've also met some real horrors that way. There was the fat, stupid chick who believed in astrology, for example. (Shudders) Ye gods, she was thick. Anyway, hang in there. Try sending one message every day, to a new person.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I think sites like myspace.com and friendster.com are better for meeting people.

I've reconnected with a lot of long-lost friends and found some new ones as well. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

thanks. I receive one answer... so what, all may happen...
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
I like okcupid, personally. I haven't met anyone in person from there, but I think all the questions and tests are fun. And I have met a few people to chat with occassionally.
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

Finally, nothing. One message, but not interesting.

With such results, how can i have a good opinon of myself ? you said me you like me, your nice with me. But i see, the another reflect of me in this mirror. hard, sometime, hard...

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

quote:
With such results, how can i have a good opinon of myself ?
I think everybody's gone through this sort of thing at some point.
Meeting people is hard.
Dating is hard.
Keeping a relationship going is hard.
It's kind of amazing that anybody ever manages to do it. Having romantic troubles is not something you should base your self-worth on.

--Enigmatic

Choobak
Member # 7083

Thank you. I didn't notice :/
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, really, you've only been at it for a week. Instant results is a bit much to expect. Keep at it, you'll find someone eventually. By the way, these dating sites do expect men to do all the work, at least that's been my experience.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

After now around three weeks, after many trying of contact by mail or by chat, after change my text, after discussing with friends who use such dating site, the result is the same. Nothing, unless a chat with a girl who stopped the communication without relink later.

Maybe i smell the garbage by adsl link... [Frown]

bunbun
Member # 6814

Why don't you try another dating site? Are you doing anything for yourself, not related to dating? That might help get your mind off things for a while.
Choobak
Member # 7083

Because, i am on the most popular one (meetic.fr), and i pay for a mounth. Moreover, i tryed on another (match.com), with the same result.
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I also have difficulties accepting myself as a person, sometimes... I mean, people tell me otherwise (just as I tell you otherwise), that I'm a great person, and I have nothing to be ashamed of, but sometimes it's hard. I understand. I'm not even going to try and convince you that you shouldn't feel that way (though of course you shouldn't) just because that can be more frustrating than anything, sometimes. (((((Choobak))))) I can just give you hugs and hope you come to terms with yourself soon. [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

[Smile] I appreciate a lot your message.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I like okcupid, personally. I haven't met anyone in person from there, but I think all the questions and tests are fun. And I have met a few people to chat with occassionally.
OKCupid is by far the best free site. The questions they have you answer for your profile and their tests make it so you have to actively try to be boring and uninteresting.

Choobak, give it a whirl: okcupid.com. Not sure what the French populace is like, but it's free, so why not?

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Choobak, what Enigmatic and Raia say is true. Listen to them.

It's difficult hooking up with people on these kinds of sites. I tried several a few times and it never worked. If you want to meet someone, I'd suggest getting out and doing whatever it is that you're interested in doing anyway, and you'll find someone who's also interested in the same thing. Plus you'll be having fun at the same time, so not a waste of time.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.