FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What was your wedding song

Author Topic: What was your wedding song
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
I am in the midst of looking for wedding songs and I thought it would be fun to see what other people's first dance songs were? I currently have a few that are being considered but haven't chosen for sure yet. Despite being with my SO for over 3 years we seem to have never gotten around to having a "song". Under consideration are:

Such great heights (its a postal service song but we would use the Iron and Wine cover from the Garden State soundtrack

Memories of Us by Keith Urban

At my most Beautiful REM

Into the Mystic Van Morrison

Luckiest by Ben Folds

Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I Can't Help Falling In Love With You Elvis.

It's a great waltz.

And sooooo true. [Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Unforgettable (either the Nat King Cole version or the electronically created duet with his daughter, Natalie - I prefer the duet myself)
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
The duet is better, but the original is a classic. I love both.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a Celtic quartet and the song was called "Fannie Powers". It was a pretty tune.

And I've always loved "Into the Mystic"... an excellent choice.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
Kiss Me by Sixpence None the Richer. It's kinda whimsical and sweet. Then later we did the Time Warp because we went to Rocky
Horror on our 1st date!

Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.hebrewsongs.com/song-chorshatha'ekaliptus.htm

Chorshat Ha'Ekaliptus

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
Dawnmaria, I love the Time Warp part. I am intent on making my wedding fun as well as romantic corny songs and all [Smile] Kiss me was my song with my ex-boyfriend. Sweet song but not right for me [Smile]
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
We recorded Cor singing "The Rose" and played that. I had also recorded "My Girl," but lost my nerve (I was much more insecure about my singing back then).

-o-

quote:
The duet is better,
UGH! You don't exist anymore. [No No] [Razz]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Seriously...her voice and the fact that it was singing with her father. It just added so much to that song. Maybe it's because the original is THE original that we should maybe not mess with it. But since it was his daughter and it came out so beautifully, I have this big sentimental spot for it.

Sadly, she hasn't really had much a singing career since then.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Neither Christy nor I remember. *blush*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong.

Oh, yeah.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
We didn't have a first dance song, seeing as it was very informal and my husband doesn't dance. ( [Roll Eyes] )

My dad did sing Give Yourself to Love during our ring ceremony, though (it's the traditional wedding song in my circles.) The bishop started crying and totally changed what he was going to say after hearing it. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
This is terrible, but I don't remember. In fact, I can't remember a whole lot about my wedding--probably because I have a hard time really thinking about it. We split eight years ago. Actually, I'm not sure that we had a "song."

Still, it's nice to see so many different songs represented here. Please don't think I'm a wet blanket...it's really romantic!

Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Jess, the least you could do is make up an answer.

How about "Positively 4th Street" by Bob Dylan?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

I know...I should have made up something...usually I'm more creative....

Maybe I should have chosen something romantic. I love your choice for me, Tante. Very appropriate.

Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother had a limo for each side of the family to go to the chapel at his wedding. Both limos played Storybook Love from the Princess Bride... I thought that was incredibly sweet.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

That's one I'd love to use at my next wedding...I love that song!
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
"At Last" by Etta James
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

Wow I am surprised at how many people don't remember. I shall say that mantra to myself when I find myself obsessing over small details [Smile]
theresa51282
Member # 8037

Now I found out that my own mother doesn't remember her song either... What do you remember most about your weddings? What one thing would you be sure to invest in if you did the wedding over?
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"At Last" by Etta James
Oh..I love that song!

Ours was "Amazed" Lonestar.

It was his choice. I was so thrilled that he actually picked a song that I didn't contest it.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
John Lennon's "Grow Old Along With Me" (I think that's what it's called) as recorded by Mary Chapin Carpenter. I still love, love, love that song. It makes me all romantic and weepy.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
We'd decided not to have a dance at the reception because Jon Boy doesn't really dance (outside our living room) and my dress didn't allow me to raise my arms high enough to put my hand on his shoulder. But then the DJ played our song, "Yellow" by Coldplay, and he asked me to dance. Somehow my hand ended up on his shouler--to this day I don't know how that was possible. And then other people started dancing. It wasn't a long "dance," but it was definitely romantic. [Smile]
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a wedding song, but right now my favorite love song is "You and Me" by R.E.M. I'm not sure why I love it so much.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
"That’s How You Know It’s Love" by Deana Carter was the first dance at our wedding. For the second dance Pop and I went to the side of the dance floor and sang "From This Moment On" by Shania Twain and Brian White while our parents danced (and the Moms cried, of course).
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

- posted      Profile for Hmm216   Email Hmm216         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not married (Im not even dateing anyone at the moment), but Im a hopeless romantic and I already have my wedding song picked out.

"The way you look tonight" There are many versions of this song. I prefer the slow ones and Frank Sinatra's version.

Also I just recently heard the most beautiful song. "You and I" I think Stevie Wonder originated it, but I heard Michael Bubles version and I fell in love!! I will try to find a link to it.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Carmina Burana
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What do you remember most about your weddings? What one thing would you be sure to invest in if you did the wedding over?
Let’s see . . . I remember grinning like an idiot during the whole ceremony. I remember holding hands during the sermon. I remember lots of hugging of friends and family.

I’m glad we chose to spend our money in the ways that would allow us to have the most people involved. We could have had a fancier dinner if we’d had fewer guests, but that wasn’t our priority. We had a huge wedding party, but they were all people who are special to us. We had lots of guests, and time to eat and socialize with them.

And we had a swing band, and took swing dance lessons with some of our friends and family before hand. It was much fun.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Ours was something like "That's How You Know It's Love" by Deana Carter (sp).

I wanted Luna by The Smashing Pumpkins but I couldn't convince the wife. It is a really appropriate song with the refrain of:

quote:
I’m in love with you
So in love
I’m in love with you
I’m so in love
I’m in love with you

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Brinestone:
We'd decided not to have a dance at the reception because Jon Boy doesn't really dance (outside our living room) and my dress didn't allow me to raise my arms high enough to put my hand on his shoulder.

Um, Brinestone, were you married in a straightjacket? Is there an interesting story here?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:

Carmina Burana

[Laugh] Olivet
Olivet
Member # 1104

I'm glad somebody got the joke. Tante [Wave]

We didn't have a dance, actually. We wanted to have our favorite Mariachi band (Los Viejeros) but decided not to, in order to piss Ron's mother off less than our wedding would have with them.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I has hoping it was a joke. Really really hoping. [Wink]
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Jamie and I don't have an official wedding song. But from this point on, it is going to be the Weiner song from Oscar Meyer.

And that's official.

Until she reads this.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:
Carmina Burana

In all seriousness, my boss' daughter and her new husband had their first dance to a salsa number. Turns out that's how they met - at a salsa club. Neither of them knew how, they were dragged by friends (who did not know each other yet) and more or less abandoned there while the friends danced.

Their second dance was "their" song, "How Sweet it IS" by Marvin Gaye

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My brother had a limo for each side of the family to go to the chapel at his wedding. Both limos played Storybook Love from the Princess Bride... I thought that was incredibly sweet.
No offense, but I hate that song. Possibly more than I should just because it ruined an otherwise excellent album. I bought the disc and ripped every track but the last one so that I can have a fantastic soundtrack that never gets ruined by the nauseatingly cheesy vocal track.

quote:
John Lennon's "Grow Old Along With Me"
I thought that was Adam Sandler. [Razz]
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Speed:
quote:
John Lennon's "Grow Old Along With Me"
I thought that was Adam Sandler. [Razz] [/QB]
The Adam Sandler version was going to be our first dance, but we decided it was too short.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

- posted      Profile for Miriya   Email Miriya         Edit/Delete Post 
Sigh... my wedding song wasn't. This because the DJ neglected to bring it... or anything else we liked [Wall Bash] So our wedding song was something sappy that we didn't like.

It SHOULD have been Sting's "Fields of Gold" although I was also partial to Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes". Those might not be the best "dance" songs but they were meaningful to us. [Smile]

Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I has hoping it was a joke. Really really hoping.
Only the first two tracks of Carmina Burana are about how fortune screws you over. Most of it is about love and springtime and drinking.

I was so disappointed to find that out when I bought the CD as an angsty thirteen-year-old.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

O Fortuna was the one he wanted use as the bridal march. I didn't know what to thinkof THAT.
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
We danced to "Stranger on the Shore" as performed by the Wyatt, Spencer Big Band on the soundtrack for "The Majestic."

We liked it because it started and ended slow, but had an up beat middle section that we could swing dance to.

Our other music consisted of a lot of Frank Sinatra....Brian sang me pretty much all of his love songs on our first date. Seemed appropriate for wedding music after that.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.