FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Favorite New musician.

Author Topic: Favorite New musician.
Hmm216
Member # 8403

- posted      Profile for Hmm216   Email Hmm216         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to start this post because I recently bought Anna Nalick's CD and it is amazing. If you are not familiar with this artist she has a new single out on the radio "Breath (2am)." She is a mixture of Fiona Apple and Jewel, her music is focused on her lyrics.

You should really check her out!! http://www.annanalick.com

Has anyone else found a new artist??

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link. I enjoyed listening to the previews. [Smile]

She sounds so much like Jewel, especially in Forever Love and Wreck of the Day.

Her single Breathe is getting a ton of airplay here in Los Angeles (Star 98.7).

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Not another song called "Breathe"!!! [Wall Bash]

That said, the songs seem ok, but I'll have to listen to more than just those previews to form a clear opinion.

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the "Breathe (2AM)" song as a free download from iTunes several months back. Good stuff but it's the only song I've heard by her.

Another musician (not really new) that I discovered through that same method is Jem. It's like Dido with a mix of...I don't know, something with some really neat and interesting beats. I don't really know how to describe it except that it's really easy to listen to.

Jem webpage

[ August 19, 2005, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: camus ]

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
My latest addiction is Ernie Halter.

Here's his webpage.

He's a guitar guy, so those of you who hate John Mayer may want to stay away, but he has a smooth, sweet voice.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's like Dido with a mix of......
Ooooh, you got me interested! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

- posted      Profile for Hmm216   Email Hmm216         Edit/Delete Post 
El JT de Spang,

I think you have introduced me to my next new obsession!

Ernie Halter!!

I am glad I started this Post!

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, The new band who please me is Bloc Party. Their last album (and maybe the first, i don't know...) is great. look at here !
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Jackie Greene.

http://www.jackie-greene.com/

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Hayley Westenra. New Zealander, she is still a teenager, sings mostly classical style. Was featured on PBS a few months ago. Has several CD outs. Has a DVD out. Her latest CD is coming out in different countries now.

She has the most amazing voice I have ever heard. You got to hear a full quality audio clip, the low quality stuff on her webpage does her a big injustice. I was a music major, so take me seriously! [Wink]

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liaison
Member # 6873

- posted      Profile for Liaison   Email Liaison         Edit/Delete Post 
Holly Brook. She's young as well. 19 I think. Her debut album 'Like Blood Like Honey' is coming out this fall, and she is a contributing artist on Fort Minor, an upcoming hip hop project. Her voice is gorgeous and she plays piano. I'd describe her as something like Fiona Apple, Vanessa Carlton, Tori Amos, Dido...hard to say exactly. You can listen to two songs on her site, 'Curious' and 'Heavy.'
http://www.hollybrookmusic.com/
The player is at the very top of the page. Just press play if you're interested.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
She has the most amazing voice I have ever heard.
Have you ever heard Ruth Holton?
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
ETA: My favourite is probably Delta Goodrem. Though I hardly give a damn about modern music.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Another musician (not really new) that I discovered through that same method is Jem.
Jem, eh? She sounds truly outrageous.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
They aren't really new, but they're new to me. I just got into Muse and I really like the album Absolution.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ooh, new-to-me is a great category. Let's see...

nope, the list would be too darn long.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
ah, let's wander into the "favorites that are new-to-me" category for a second...

Thrice - alt punk
Senses Fail - alt punk
Blue Merle - kind of like Coldplay
Youth Group - hmmm...hard to describe. reminds me of Modest Mouse but it doesn't really sound like them
Matchbook Romance - emo/alt punk

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I have heard good things about Blue Merle.
kojabu
Member # 8042

Matchbook Romance rocks! I also like Motion City Soundtrack and My Chemical Romance.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jem, eh? She sounds truly outrageous.
[Laugh]

My favorite new artist is Hellogoodbye.

Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

I'm glad someone finally got that. I was beginning to think I was the only one who'd grown up in the '80s. [Smile]
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Holly Brook was actually quite nice. Can't figure out how to buy her stuff though...

I heard this song on the Radio last week and loved it (iTunes link):
Mushaboom (by Feist)

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Another musician (not really new) that I discovered through that same method is Jem.

"Jem, eh? She sounds truly outrageous."

Yes, truly truly truly outrageous.

[ROFL]

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
Off topic:
Speed, I just saw your AIM id-are you referring to Red Dwarf?
Because oddly enough, my chat name is "Lister's Girl"
How cool is that? I put you on my buddy list so at least once Lister's Girl can talk with Lister! [Smile]

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Sweet! Red Dwarf is the shiz-nit!
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
Anna Nalick is my new favorite artist too! She was pretty much the only one I listened to during labor and recovery at the hospital when my son was born two weeks ago. Her and Jason Mraz, but he's not new.
Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

But his new album is new!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.