FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » OSC's review of Harry Potter!

Author Topic: OSC's review of Harry Potter!
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
I know there's a bunch of you who don't often visit the other side, so I thought I'd link to it here.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
That's cruel! Brian, that was LOW.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, in all fairness to Brian, it was short-term cruelty and lowness... [Wink]

Because it's up on the Rhinocerous Times site now. (Yeah, it's there - he saved it for the end.)

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
And it has spoilers aplenty, but he gives more than fair warning first.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh... the Other Side. I would not stoop to sully myself.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
An OSC review with spoilers? Crap, that means I can't read this one. I'm only on the fourth Harry Potter book. [Grumble]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. Let's get down to business here.

*********SPOILERS LIKE CRAZY****************
-

-

-

-

A) OSC thinks that Dumbledore isn't dead....I don't believe that because I think Harry will have to face Voldemort alone. There's a line in the book that says

quote:

And Harry saw very clearly as he sat there under the hot sun how people who cared about him had stood in front of him one by one, his mother, his father, his godfather, and finally Dumbledore, all determined to protect him; but now that was over. He could not let anyone else stand between him and Voldemort;

I think that Harry will have to do this himself. The loss is real, and the meaning of Book 6 would disappear for me if Dumbledore cropped up and saved the day at the end of book 7. Doesn't Book 6 seem like Dumbledore is just getting things ready for his departure? I don't think he would worry about preparing Harry if he knew that he could leap up and protect him when all is said and done.

OSC's talk of the phoenix is rather convincing though, but I'm going to hold my ground on this one (until I'm proven wrong, but then no one will care that I was wrong. [Smile] )

B) He mentions that Snape gave Harry what he would need to fight Voldemort by emphasizing the nonverbalized spells and use of occulemency. This is SO true, and another reason that I can't believe Snape is bad. He actually did good work as Defense against the Dark Arts teacher. He taught them about the spells and you notice later that they're writing about how to deal with Dementors. (Even though Harry disagrees with Snape about that....hm. That could be meaningful.) I think Snape worked this year to prepare them all and Rowling couldn't show us very much of that, because then we'd know for sure that he's a good guy. [Smile] This is the first book where the emphasis was taken OFF of the DaDa class.

C) OSC thinks that Harry's scar is a horcrux. Ugh. I know we've had this discussion before, but nothing that Dumbledore taught Harry about Horcruxes supports that. That would mean that it was an 'accidental' horcrux and I just don't think that's what they're all about. Voldemort liked trophies. He would have had an object prepared to be the Horcrux caused by James'/Lily's/Harry's death, not have created one accidentally out of the flesh of someone he was supposed to have killed. So I don't agree with that one, but that's only until I'm proven wrong again. And again, I don't think anyone will care by then. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Once again, Narnia makes my point much better than I would have myself...:grumbles: [Smile]

I might be leaning toward point C, though.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Has OSC been ignoring our HP speculation thread? I mean, we've dealt with many of these points in a way I think is quite logical...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed...but it is rather a daunting read, don't you think? [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Daunting read certainly! It took me longer to read that thread than it did to read the book.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starr R
Member # 8361

- posted      Profile for Starr R   Email Starr R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It took me longer to read that thread than it did to read the book.
Same here! I'm still reading my way through that thread. Some fascinating stuff there.
Posts: 68 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit that I lost momentum around the 14th page. That was after a few weeks of following it pretty carefully.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia, that's basically my entire theory about book six in a nutshell. Thank you for describing it so eloquently. [Smile]

Those are exactly the things in OSC's review that stood out to me too.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.