FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Novelizations better than movies they were based on (you're embarrassed to like)

Author Topic: Novelizations better than movies they were based on (you're embarrassed to like)
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I know, it's hard to conceive, but I think I've read several:

• 2001: A Space Odyssey
  • Superman III
  • The Last Starfighter
  • Any novelization written by Alan Dean Foster*

* Yes, he's a hack, but his novelizations are bis best books. I think what it comes down to is he lacks the ability to invent stories that are not goofy, but given someone else's universe to play with, he fleshes out stories very nicely. He must have started out as a fanfic writer.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Star Wars: Episode 1 by Terry Brooks

Sorry, I'm partial to Terry Brooks...

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Cor read that one. She says it wasn't bad. Not a ringing endorsement, but then, SW:I was the worst of the films, so it wouldn't take too much to be better.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Spiderman novelization by Peter David. The movie and book were both great, but I think Peter David edged out the movie by a little.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I think all the Star Wars prequel novels were better than their respective movie.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Mona Lisa Smile, it has a better ending. That's one of the few novelizations of movies I've read.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not embarrassed by it, but Abyss by OSC was incredible. The movie far less so.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Cor says the Ep III novelization was annoyingly quirky:

quote:

This is what it feels like to be Anakin Skywalker:

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

This is what it feels like to be Obi-Wan Kenobi:

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Not bad, she said, but annoying.
Icarus
Member # 3162

I think OSC's Abyss was great. I didn't list it because I thought the movie was very good as well, and I wasn't sure which was better, but thinking about it further, I think you're right.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I called the Episode 3 novelization poorly written, but I still said it was better than some of the movies writing.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

And I was only joking about the embarrassment: trying to make it an über-version of all the recent book and movie threads. [Smile]
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Peter David's Hulk, Peter David's Fantastic Four... I'm seeing a trend here.

Any of the Trek movie novelizations.

I like Alan Dean Foster's movie books, the first few Spellsinger books, and I love "Mad Amos" but no one else seems to have ever read it.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
2001: A Space Odyssey
All this time I thought the book came first O_o

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I think Clarke wrote the screenplay, but the novel came after.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I've not read it....yet. But that is what I understand to have happened.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

The book actually makes some sense. [Smile]

<--- not a Kubrick fan

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Does it make more sense than the movie? Because the movie confused me. It gave me a headache.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, you like Peter David too? He's awesome.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by James Tiberius Kirk:
quote:
2001: A Space Odyssey
All this time I thought the book came first O_o

--j_k

The book is not a novelization of the movie, and the movie is not based on the book.

Clarke and Kubrick both wrote the screenplay together. Clarke then went and wrote a novel based on it, and Kubrick went and made a movie based on it.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Pay close attention, this one's a bit odd:

Piers Anthony's novelization of the movie Total Recall which was based on the Philip K Dick story We can remember it for you wholesale is better than the movie. Which one was better than the movie? Well both of them, but the novel and the short story don't have much to do with each other, either.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
What Enigmatic said.
Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sister Annie
Member # 8480

- posted      Profile for Sister Annie   Email Sister Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly not God's Army. That Geoff Card is a HACK!
Posts: 67 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Clarke and Kubrick both wrote the screenplay together. Clarke then went and wrote a novel based on it, and Kubrick went and made a movie based on it.
[Confused] I thought the book came first and Clark agreed with Kubrick to do a movie. I guess not. And the book is far better.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.