FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Hatrack username dictionary (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The Hatrack username dictionary
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
a short lived thread. One that will be deleted after the question is answered.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, Jonathan, if I understood you correctly, do you want to change the forumla so the number of Real Hatrackers met/Slash number don't affect the outcome so much?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
JH, do you enjoy trying to make things needlessly complex?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I've lost count of the number of Real Hatrackers I've met, although if I tried hard I could probably get it. [Dont Know]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan Howard, v.

To make a precocious display, especially in an effort to boast. We were talking about languages, and then he came in and Jonathan Howarded all over the thread.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Does that mean we need a thread where we list real people and how they became that way?
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*is relieved no one has decided to do her yet*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that thread already existed a couple years ago, Jay.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Only in a case in which the posts and the time have an extreme ratio of more than, say, 20:1 or 1:5 (posts:days).

I like making things complex (yeah, yeah, "Okam's Razor"), but in this case I want everyone to get what he or she deserves, without a serious possibility for someone to get an extremely high rating/grading only for one thing attained (a long register time, a lot of posts, a lot of Real friends or meeting Slash in person).

Of course, Slash being a No. 0, has an infinite rating. Problematic, or should we keep it?

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Howard:
So how do you think the formula works? I'm pretty hopeless with functions, but the aim is that someone like Tante who has a very high ratio of posts:time should start off with low increments of rating but increase as time flows with less effect of the posts posted later on. In other words, that the original boost in posts will be more valuable later.

I refer you to page 1 of this thread, in est:

quote:
Jonathan Howard noun: anything incomprehesible, in any language. We were having a lively debate, and he suddenly blurted a Jonathan Howard.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

quote:
Of course, Slash being a No. 0, has an infinite rating. Problematic, or should we keep it?

Problematic. Give me a bit and I'll try to come up with something. But maybe not tonight.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, ketch, I put you into my dictionary. I have around 45 entries by now.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I've met OSC, but I'm not allowed to meet people, especially adults, that I've met online. How am I ever gonna become "real"?
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

You turn 18? How old are you now?
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tinros:
I've met OSC, but I'm not allowed to meet people, especially adults, that I've met online. How am I ever gonna become "real"?

I'm assuming by this that you are underage, and thus not allowed by your parents. If you really wanted to meet somebody off Hatrack, there is always the possibility of meeting the Hatracker(s) with your parent or guardian present. I believe this has been done before with teenaged Hatrackers. It eliminates most of the "scary internet stalkers" worries which are, of course, completely understandable in a parent.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

I'm 17 now, My birthday is May 13, and then I'm going off to college. I don't know of any Jatraqueros that are near me...
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

When you met OSC, was his wife there? If so, you are Real. [Smile]
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Meet them in your hometown in a public place. Worked for Raia, CM and me.
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, you only get to become real once, so you should think long and hard about who you give your anonymity to.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

JH, that's a problem when there aren't many hatrackers around. There's only one other hatracker in my area.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

*Laugh.*
ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:

I like making things complex (yeah, yeah, "Okam's Razor"), but in this case I want everyone to get what he or she deserves, without a serious possibility for someone to get an extremely high rating/grading only for one thing attained (a long register time, a lot of posts, a lot of Real friends or meeting Slash in person).

Right. . . what I don't understand is why you want to rank/grade people.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Because he's a teenage boy?)
ElJay
Member # 6358

(I know. . . just curious what answer he'll come up with.)
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Subtract points from ElJay for criticizing The Formula! She's icky! Deduct points!

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Because someone was complaining that there are too many Real people. So by showing who's most Hatracky, we can finally have something which is more than just a label ("I'm Real").

It's INITIATIVE.

And what's wrong with me being a teen, kq? wd u rthr me b a avrg 1e0 lol f*** shit dude sure yeah like totally wd u want 1t 2 b so?

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I second Enigmatic!
ElJay
Member # 6358

You don't want to go around seconding Enigmatic, trust me. He'll duck out at the last minute and you'll have to fight the duel instead.
Tinros
Member # 8328

Actually, OSC AND his wife were there... but I never met her, she just sorta stayed in the background. Am I real?
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I'd rather fight anyone and anything rather than you, ElJay.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Subtract points from ElJay for impuning the character of her younger brother! Subtract extra points for doing it accurately!

--Enigmatic
*whoosh* <-- zipping away sound effect

ElJay
Member # 6358

Then you definitely shouldn't second Enigmatic. He fights with me more than anyone else, I think.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Hey, I'm diplomatic. But I support someone's decisions. If you want to get into a fight, well, that's your fault and problem; I'm just offering my vote to the one person who truly supports me, at least for now.
ElJay
Member # 6358

Hey Tante, what was that definition again?
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I changed the definition into "Jon". It's simpler and quicker. No need to elaborate or sophisticate.

Who needs complexity, anyway?

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

quote:
I'm just offering my vote to the one person who truly supports me, at least for now.
Wait, I'm doing what now? I thought I was mildly teasing you whilst picking on my sister. Oops.

The whole "Real" thing is relative anyway. For someone who has not met any of the Officially Real people, none of them would have to be considered real. Whereas if you've met a small cluster of Hatrackers they are real to you, whether any of them are Officially Real or not. "Reality" is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes. (MLWTTKK)

--Enigmatic

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

ElJay, I'm sorry. You were right (as usual), your brother is annoying.

I tried to make a reasoning for the relativity with the five Hatrackers meeting at once, except someone ruined it by requiring two of them be real. Doesn't it off-piss?

And what on damnéd, current Earth
Or what the hell in Pentland Firth
Is whatchyacall it ...TKK?
And why would I care, anyway?

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon, you're taking this whole thing way too seriously. You know the old saying, if you have to explain a joke it's no longer funny? That also goes for categorizing, defining, and spreadsheeting it.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
n. Enigmatic - Someone who claims to support an idea or person only to change his mind at the last minute. 2. Someone who doesn't believe in Reality. 3. A person or thing that drives their sister insane.

"The presidential candidate was uncertain of what would get him the most votes so he pulled an Enigmatic during one of his speeches.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tinros:
Actually, OSC AND his wife were there... but I never met her, she just sorta stayed in the background. Am I real?

Terribly sorry, but I don't think so.

Next signing, go up and talk to her (she's really nice!) -- that'll do it. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused] This thread has so severely frayed and unravelled, I don't know if anyone can remember what it's supposed to be about.

Oh yeah! ME! [Big Grin]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt you could do mine.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I registered this name primarily to tease a guy named Nick, who constantly missed the sarcasm in various people's posts. He was a good guy and took it well, though. What ever happened to him?
Assuming you're talking about the same Nick, he's alive and well and incredibly busy ("school from 7 til 4:30pm, and working from 5 til 10:15 everyday"). Or was recently, anyway. Not sure if he still posts here (I don't think he has time to often) but occasionally posts at my forum, which is how I know.

[Smile]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Hey! I never claimed to support his idea, I just think that if he's going to be ranking people anyway he really ought to take points away from ElJay. JH seconded me, not the other way around.

Sid Meier v. To mistake someone with an assumed screen name for the actual celebrity. "We knew she was a ditz when she Sid Meiered Ender by asking him what battle school was like."

--Enigmatic

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Proof of Realness: I've played Trivial Pursuit with OSC, Kristine and Emily Card... and porcelain girl, JohnKeats and misstammy (none of which are still around, I don't think).

I've also been in Slash's and Olivet's houses, as well as jexx's house and mackillian's (former) apartment (I'm assuming she's moved by now). Plus, I went to bootcamp with JennyGardener (among others already mentioned).

I ooze Realness. [Big Grin] I'll try not to get any on your shoes...

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

[Hail]

Wow. I'm just a nobody.

With a post count almost twice yours.

ElJay
Member # 6358

For the record, I never said my brother was annoying or that he drives me insane. As a point of order, I rather like him.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always said that post count is meaningless.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I've always said that post count is meaningless.

Yes, and apparently you've said it many, many times.

--Enigmatic

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

[Laugh] Eni
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.