FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bob the Builder

Author Topic: Bob the Builder
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
My son loves the Bob the Builder books. But I've been contemplating removing them from his shelves because of the shoddy building methods used by Bob and his crew. It physically pains me to read how wrong he is sometimes.

Case in point. Bob needs to get some roadwork done by 5 pm. He has the sniffles, so he gets Wendy and the team to do it for him.
  • Dizzy the cement mixer mixes the cement. Wrong, wrong, wrong! You use concrete, not cement. Cement is one part of concrete.
  • Muck the dump truck or whatever he is spreads the "cement". This is not how you pour concrete people, even on a road job.
  • Rolly the roller is going to roll the "cement". Yeah, let's see what happens when you put a compaction roller on top of wet concrete. I don't think it's going to improve things.
  • They open the road that afternoon to traffic?!? I've heard of early-strength concrete, but that's pushing it a little too far.
I keep finding myself straying from the book to tell Ryan the correct way of doing it. I'm not sure that's the best way for him to learn to read though.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
You're very cute, Zan. [Smile] Maybe K needs to read these books to Ryan instead. You can read to him about Angelina Ballerina.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Bob was the Lawyer?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

This Bob is not a lawyer. Although once traffic gets on that road, he'll need one.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

And jeni, he already has a toy vacuum. Does he really need to read about ballerinas too?
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
You didn't give him a toy kitchen? What kind of enlightened 21st century father are you? [Big Grin]
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Z [Big Grin]
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Bob was a tomato...

or a sponge...

Too many Bobs

Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I odn't like Bob the Builder-- but for purely aesthetic reasons.

I don't like Dora the Explorer, either.

I'll stick to good old-fashioned Mr. Rogers, thank you. (Although I've softened my earlier stance on Between the Lions; they don't annoy me much any more, so I'll consent to watch them occasionally. Not that we watch kids' tv every day in our house, anyway.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
My two boys love Bob the Builder and Dora.

I love my children so I refuse to let them watch Teletubbies or those Bebah/Pubah gum drop gibberish intelligence suckers.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I love my child, so I refuse to let her watch those OR Barney OR Bob OR Dora OR...

She does like Emeril. She says, "BAM!" and pretends to throw something in a pot, then giggles hilariously. [Big Grin]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I have neices and a nephew who are part hispanic, and I think Dora was an excellent show for them to watch.

It is nice for them to have a character that had something in common with them, and used both of the languages they hear all the time. I haven't watched a lot of it with them, but I have seen a few of them, and the shows seem pretty good to me, as far as TV goes that is... [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Kwea, I babysit a little girl who was adopted from guatamala, and loves Dora, her mom lets her watch it so she has someone to identify with, but now we think Sophia just thinks Dora is her (she looks just like her) animated.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I love my child, so I refuse to let her watch those OR Barney OR Bob OR Dora OR...

She does like Emeril. She says, "BAM!" and pretends to throw something in a pot, then giggles hilariously. [Big Grin]

Ah! Now I understand Emeril's target audience!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I take it that you, like my dad, don't like Emeril, Tante?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Correct, as usual!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, I love Emeril. [Big Grin]

I like Paula Deen better, though. [Smile]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Alton Brown does it for me.

Sandra Lee just scares me.

Rachel Ray, she's OK.

But I grew up watching and emulating Julia Child. To me, she will always be the quintessential TV cooking show person.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

And, ew! I just remembered that guy, I don't know how he managed to get his own show, and a reputation for knowing his way around the kitchen. Jeff Smith, the "Frugal Chef". Ugh. Volumes and volumes of cookbooks full of lame-o untested recipes.

He just kind of comes up with them off the top of his head.

"Take some linguini. Add a cup of cream and some sausage. It's called 'Linguini a la cream and sausage'."

Umm...I've lost my place. Is this a cooking thread?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I love, love, LOVE the Frugal Gourmet!

I do really enjoy Alton Brown, though, we can agree on that one.

And I don't like Sandra Lee, either. I like Rachel Ray in small doses (I prefer $40 a Day to her own cooking show, she's just a little too over the top on 30 Minute Meals.)

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to point out that the songs on Dora the Explorer consist of one line repeated over and over again. For example, one song goes, "I'm the map," repeated about 25 times. It also teaches that you can get people to stop stealing from you by repeatedly telling them not to. I hope a parent sues that show when a kid really tries that with a bully and it doesn't work out so well. I guess I can understand a Hispanic child wanting a character they can relate to, I liked seeing Jewish characters, but beyond that there is no value at all to that show.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I've heard Maya and Miguel is an excellent bilingual show (although I've never watched it myself.) Perhaps that would be a good alternative?
zgator
Member # 3833

quote:
I would like to point out that the songs on Dora the Explorer consist of one line repeated over and over again.
And the FSU fight song doesn't even have words. What's your point? [Razz]

kq, what is exactly is your problem with shows like Barney and Bob?

Kwea
Member # 2199

Zan, it's Barney....

Enough said. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose complaining about Bob-The Builders building techniques would be like a lawyer complaining about Scooby-Do, "Man, that would never hold up in a court of law. That was a totally illegal search. That evidence is tainted. Confession with out a lawyer present is questionable at best."

[rant]I just watched Scooby-Do goes to Mexico. They arrest one of the bad-guys, and two strong police men are there to hold him during the exposition phrase. Suddenly the monster--a second bad guy--shows up. He attacks, with intent to bodily injure, random civilians, and is finally stopped by some outdoor lighting and a bee hive. Um, what were those police men doing during this time? When someone in a monster suit attacks civilians, the police should draw their guns and, I don't know, stop it. They shouldn't wait for those @$#@#$@#$@!! Meddling Kids.
[/rant]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

lol
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I just need one more clue to solve this mystery...
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
kq, what is exactly is your problem with shows like Barney and Bob?
The dumbing-down and the bad music.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Would Ender have watched Bob or Barney?
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Nope.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.