FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The New Hatrack Misery Union Thread (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The New Hatrack Misery Union Thread
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I am WARNING you, this thread will be organised or dismantled. We will do everything properly here.

The Four Horsemen of the Hatrack Apocalypse have died out as knights, they don't function anymore. I'm not seeking the creation of a few pathetic cataphracts; this is the real thing.

We will create a new form of sinister, eternal Hatrack-based union of a "mob", if you want. This is not going to be a petty impression of a myth, this is going to be real. While "Sarcasm", "Cynicism", "Fluff" and "TomDavidson" are a nice combination - it's a failure. I'm talking username devotion, complete username devotion (which will have a consistent format!), commitment of acts and behaviour, forming an unbreakable union that surrounds a certain element. Sarcasm, Cynicism and Irony are an unbreakable union of three; Red, Yellow, Green and Blue are an unbreakable union of four.

No fixed number - yet - I want serious people with me, ready to sign up new usernames and use them when they post, prepared to truly, honestly and sincerely be a part of a plan. We are not the "utopian" former group, we will be THE THING.

Oh, and another thing, none of that crap about the aliens taking over us or the secret invisible people walking amongst us. No governmental conspiracies either, about the forming of this union. We are here to make the world more miserable than it is, not to develop fantasy theories.

Who is with me?

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*tumbleweed blows by*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
*gets flattened by tumbleweed*
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
*sneezes at dust in tumbleweed*
Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I have enough energy to post as part of a plan. The Thing, exciting as it may eventually be, sounds like a lot of work.

Besides, Cynicism, Sarcasm, Fluff and TomDavidson have cache. I'm a huge fan of cache. My one beef was that Britney Spears wasn't taken seriously in her bid to be a Horseperson of Hatrack.

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
Writing my play or being part of a sinister plot...writing my play or being part of a sinister plot...hmmm...think I'll go work on my play...
Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Real sinister plot manipulators don't talk about it on message boards.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

Maybe you could just identify a group of participants and then communicate with your minds.

Just trying to be helpful.

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
But Britney Spears has absolutely no place at Hatrack. So she didn't fit.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Brinestone, you, for one, are potent as a deadly force.

Baboon, sorry, bubbun, sorry again, bunbun, is "trying to be helpful", with no great success. Dag, you ought to think seriously - we're not hiding around, we're going to do it honestly. Jess N, no place for you, I'm writing a play as well - so what? And you three "T"s, stop the fluff. Be serious or begone.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I am? *blushes*
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

Brinestone, are you talking about Britney Spears or "Britney Spears?" I think an argument could be made that "Britney Spears" ie, the music and merchandising campaign, needs to be dissected as frequently as possible by people who have the public's best interest in mind--in short, Hatrackers, who know crap when they see it. She could certainly be useful as a sign of the downfall of a society.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Baboon, sorry, bubbun, sorry again, bunbun, is "trying to be helpful", with no great success.
Jonathan is trying to be funny, with no great success.

Keep trying, though. Eventually you'll get there.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

Jonathan, you really haven't provided a great deal of information on sought-after qualifications for participating in "the Thing."

What you do need? Good typists--Words per minute? Managerial experience? Short order cooks? I have great organizational skills. Certainly you could use someone with office experience on a sinister plot--you know, keep the filing organized and making sure everyone gets their messages.

Let me know if you'd like my resume. Ooh--I have a law degree and research experience. I just know I'd be a great addition to "the Team."

Brinestone
Member # 5755

The question is, has there ever been a thread about Britney Spears on Hatrack? And if there were one, would it get more than six posts?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I don't know. Where does she stand on gay marriage, abortion, and the war in Iraq?

And does she like Firefly?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
There was one about her that I remember. It was about "beauty" as a concept, and then people judged others for judging, and it went downhill from there.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Yes. Humbleness is god, but so is self-confidence.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I be a deadly force tree?
Or is that a tree with deadly force?

*shines with scary silver light*

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

FYI, Britney did throw her hat (linky) in the ring for Hatrack Horseman in 2003, but ultimately lost out to America Online, Marshmallowness, and Lust, all of whom were less qualified than Fluff.

See?

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
To quote a very wise poster, on another thread:

quote:
Jonathan Howard noun: anything incomprehesible, in any language. We were having a lively debate, and he suddenly blurted a Jonathan Howard.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

What can you offer, Telp our friend?
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
The glorious light of the gods.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Comes in handy during power outages...

But then Hatrack wouldn't be working either.

Doh! I'm getting sucked in against my will!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

[Monkeys]
[Hat]

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

We are kind of destructive, Telp. I hate to tell you this, but I've got to have some verification of both your light being divine and you having loyalty to us.
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
The Horsemen thread was Hatrack Comedy Gold. One of thye cleverest threads ever. You know what made it so good? It was original.

You don't get to be original by copying something that is--all while putting down the original. Come up with your own clever ideas.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Next he'll be suggesting an alternative to the dingle.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by bunbun:
Maybe you could just identify a group of participants and then communicate with your minds.

Just trying to be helpful.

[ROFL]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
Next he'll be suggesting an alternative to the dingle.
Or an alternative for you. By the way, wasn't Dedalos's son's name "Ikaros"? *Grumble.*
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Technically, his name was written in another alphabet, so no, it wasn't.
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Or an alternative for you.
I think you pretty much have, in this thread. [Wink]
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Thank you, Icky. Why don't you go up higher? Hell, we might just rename the Aegean. PLEASE? [Razz]

But, you see, Dag, I believe that the name in English is a transliteration of Greek; anyone with enough intelligence to use a Greek mythological character should know how to write it authentically. [Razz]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
JH, there's really no need to be insulting.

And you ought to know that transliteration is more an art than a science. "Icarus" is a commonly accepted version.

Let it go. [Razz]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
there's really no need to be insulting.
Retaliation, m'dear.

quote:
And you ought to know that transliteration is more an art than a science.
Then why did I just study a year of phonology by an Academy professor? And why did I spend hours talking to him after class about phonetics and phonology?

Transliteration is only made a colloquial "art" by people who refuse to accept scientific approaches. Translation is an art, transliteration oughtn't be one; it's science until perverted otherwise.

I might just sign up as "Didaluss".

Λαβύρινθος
Member # 8534

- posted      Profile for Λαβύρινθος   Email Λαβύρινθος         Edit/Delete Post 
Or as this...
Posts: 43 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Retaliation, m'dear.

But you're not any good at it, Jon. In fact, all you succeed in doing when you fuss around like this is making yourself look pedantic. In other words, your attempted retaliation makes you look silly.

When someone says "your joke is unoriginal; you would do better to come up with your own humor" and you retort with "Says you. And I don't like the way you spell ancient Greek," well, we're not talking the Algonquin Circle, here.

"Icarus" is a commonly-accepted spelling. You may as well argue that "Jesus" is misspelled -- which it probably is, but let's face it: no one cares.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Λαβύρινθος
Member # 8534

- posted      Profile for Λαβύρινθος   Email Λαβύρινθος         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[Razz]

[ August 24, 2005, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: Λαβύρινθος ]

Posts: 43 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It's a good thing you pointed out that was retaliation. Otherwise I wouldn't have known I was supposed to be stung.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Retaliation, m'dear.
How old are you?!? Old enough to know better than that, surely. [Razz]
quote:
quote:
And you ought to know that transliteration is more an art than a science.
Then why did I just study a year of phonology by an Academy professor? And why did I spend hours talking to him after class about phonetics and phonology?

Transliteration is only made a colloquial "art" by people who refuse to accept scientific approaches. Translation is an art, transliteration oughtn't be one; it's science until perverted otherwise

[Roll Eyes] People like you come up with dreadful transliterations like Qedasia. [Razz] I stand by my assertion.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Λαβύρινθος
Member # 8534

quote:
People like you come up with dreadful transliterations like Qedasia.
What's that supposed to be? I've seen "Qeisaria" before.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Bunny, people will have an easier time liking you if you would stop correcting them and mocking them all the time.

Just quietly accept the fact that most people in this world are not as special as you are, and have some rachmanos on their poor, inferior selves.

bunbun
Member # 6814

Tante, is that directed at Jonathan?
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
'Cause if not...ka-KLICK!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

Has bunbun ever ka-KLICK'd a Tante? I should hope not.
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I think someone's Ritalin has expired... [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Λαβύρινθος
Member # 8534

Life is tough, Tante. I have to try trolling.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by bunbun:
Tante, is that directed at Jonathan?

Yeah. His nickname is now "Bunny"

quote:
quote:
quote:Originally posted by Λαβύρινθος:
How come you chose "Bunny"?

I looked it up!

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

And, uh, duh...what's ka-KLICK? [Confused]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

You should read Sluggy Freelance.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.