FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The New Hatrack Misery Union Thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The New Hatrack Misery Union Thread
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Does ka-klick have something to do with the movie (which I know was based on a book, but I don't know if the same things happened) MISERY? My husband saw it and was telling me about it.

I sure hope no one is that attached to Alvin Maker.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Howard:
Transliteration is only made a colloquial "art" by people who refuse to accept scientific approaches. Translation is an art, transliteration oughtn't be one; it's science until perverted otherwise.

Of course, it's important to note that Icarus is actually a translation into Latin, not merely a transliteration into the Latin alphabet. Also, this translation took place before k was adopted into the Latin alphabet.
quote:
I might just sign up as "Didaluss".
But then you wouldn't even be pronouncing it correctly.

*shakes head sadly*

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
You should read Sluggy Freelance.

Thanks. Got it.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Λαβύρινθος
Member # 8534

- posted      Profile for Λαβύρινθος   Email Λαβύρινθος         Edit/Delete Post 
Judging the book by its cover (title) - no thanks.
Posts: 43 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
So says someone going by the name AaBupivooq?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
So says someone going by the name AaBupivooq?

[Laugh] It means "bunny"
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
My god, I'd never realized the etymology of "labyrinth" before! Tante, that's so cool! I expect that the French lapin has it roots in the Greek word for rabbit, eh?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
catacomb - labyrinth - maze - rabbit
<singing>One of these things is not like the others...</singing>
Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Well, a rabbit warren is like a labyrinth. A cute little bunny labyrinth with a cute little bunny in the middle. But beware -- that rabbit's got a mean streak in 'im a mile wide.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Ah, the warren. I was not seeing ANY association on that one. Still, the rabbit itself is not a maze. Unless you're in a little shrunken spaceship inside its blood vessels, I suppose.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Ah, "Fantastic Voyage III -- The Voyage Continues"
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic Voyage III: Hare Raising Adventure
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Ah yes, Icky. That's much better. Hats off! [Hat]
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that the one where they lop off a suspicious growth and biopsy it?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I had a hutch that someone would turn this into a pun-fest.
Icarus
Member # 3162

I shun punsters like lepus.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

You cad, bury this thread right away, the punsters don't need any egging on!

--Enigmatic

Icarus
Member # 3162

This is all just a great big yolk to you, isn't it?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
It's nice to see the punsters coming out of their shells though, they're usually so reserved, but I guess this is an oeuf.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Λαβύρινθος
Member # 8534

- posted      Profile for Λαβύρινθος   Email Λαβύρινθος         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Ick, I'm your brother (as your father built me).
Posts: 43 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Jon, we all know the story.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Λαβύρινθος
Member # 8534

I'm just setting friendship foundations.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Has this approach worked for you in the past?
Λαβύρινθος
Member # 8534

It was never attempted in this approach (by me).
TomDavidson
Member # 124

When the experiment's over, let me know how it went.
Λαβύρινθος
Member # 8534

It will be postponed until the 4th Ashes Test is over. Meaning Monday if we're lucky.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
We'd better not risk another frontal assault. That rabbit's dynamite.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
My god, I'd never realized the etymology of "labyrinth" before! Tante, that's so cool! I expect that the French lapin has it roots in the Greek word for rabbit, eh?

I'm not so sure about that. Shvester's link said that labyrinth could also mean "rabbit warren," not "rabbit." The OED says that labyrinth is ultimately of unknown origin, so it probably doesn't involve the ancient Greek word for "rabbit."

Also, it's unlikely that the b would have devoiced to p as it was borrowed into French. Most words went the other way (from p to b or v). There's also the problem of y going to a short i.

But now I wonder where the French word came from. It's obviously not from the original Latin, which was cunniculus.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Hence "Coney Island", which used to be full of rabbits before it was full of hot dog stands and roller coasters.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

This seems like an awful lot of discussion of labyrinth without mentioning David Bowie. So I just did.

--Enigmatic

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
And, uh, duh...what's ka-KLICK? [Confused]

Forgot to post this earlier... ka-KLICK is the sound of the ignore function I want on this board {evil grin}
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
So how can an operating system be simultaneously more complicated and less usefull than anything out there. @#$% demonic penguins.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic:
This seems like an awful lot of discussion of labyrinth without mentioning David Bowie. So I just did.

--Enigmatic

I thought I had in this thread, but it turns out it was a different thread. Thanks for picking up the slack.
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
It's obviously not from the original Latin, which was cunniculus.
[Eek!]

*gasp*

::reports post::

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

[No No] !!! [Laugh] Icky
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

I thought the same thing as Icarus. But then I thought "Bunnicula?"

--Enigmatic

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
quote:
It's obviously not from the original Latin, which was cunniculus.
[Eek!]

*gasp*

::reports post::

Thank goodness this isn't . . .
Λαβύρινθος
Member # 8534

quote:
How about letting me remain Λαβύρινθος instead of Bunnicula?

ETA: Ahem!

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

quote:
Originally posted by Λαβύρινθος:
quote:
How about letting me remain Λαβύρινθος instead of Bunnicula?

ETA: Ahem!

I get the distinct impression that one of us is not getting the joke. I'm open to the possibility that it may be me. In other words, what are you talking about?

Ic gave a "shocked" reaction as a joke because "cunniculus" sounds similar to a word for a sexual act. The same thing had occurred to me, but he beat me to the joke, so I also mentioned the similarity to the name of a book about a vampire rabbit.

Who is to "let you" remain with your latest screenname? Last I checked it was not in our power to stop you from using it, so you can remain it as long as you like.

--Enigmatic
</painfully unfunny post>

Λαβύρινθος
Member # 8534

Well, wasn't I being given dozens of nicknames such as "Bunny", "AaBupivooq" etc.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Tante gave you one nickname -- Bunny. Near I can tell all the rest you've given yourself. So no, you weren't.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Λαβύρινθος
Member # 8534

Fine. Blame me for everything, why don't you? J/k.
ElJay
Member # 6358

Okay, sounds like a plan! When will you start taking responsibility for my lawn not being mowed yet, hmmmmmm?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic:

</painfully unfunny post>

Ouch!

And I'm sticking with "Bunny", because my keyboard still doesn't bend that way.

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

That at least makes your post make some sense, Λαβύρινθος. (Tante, you just copy-paste it from one of his posts!) But why isn't ElJay's lawn mowed yet?

--3|\|1g|V|@+1(

Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer 3|\|16|V|@+1(.
Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

I knew there was something for G, I just couldn't think of it! It's been a while since I actually tried to write in that gibberish.
ElJay
Member # 6358

Actually, I mowed my lawn Wednesday, so it doesn't really need it again yet. Wish it was winter, so I could declare him responsible for shoveling snow instead.
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
He's responsible for shoveling something! [Wink]
Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

[ROFL]
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.