FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » update on the Matt issue (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: update on the Matt issue
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, so after reading a few of his friend's online journals, I find out...

They're all happy we broke up.

And they want me gone, period. Not even friends with him.

How am I supposed to handle this?

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Cry in the comments section.

-OR-

Talk to Matt. Other friends are important, but your friendship is with him.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you care what they think? Though frankly, if I were Matt's friend, I would agree. The last thing he needs is a committed theist to clutter up his thinking. Particularly if she is even moderately pretty.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
KoM, there are days you really make me laugh. Thanks for the giggle. [Smile]
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

I didn't think a committed theist could clutter the thinking of another committed theist.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect KoM is afraid of mutual reinforcement. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it would depend whether their waves were in phase or not -- they could cancel each other out.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Or they could cause beats, if they're just slightly out of phase.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Life is so different now. When I was your age, we had to indulge in gossip. Nowadays, there are online journals.

You probably don't have to walk 20 miles to school, uphill, in the snow, with razor blades strapped to your feet instead of boots.

Kids today!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

No, but last year, it took me ten minutes to walk uphill from my parking spot. [Big Grin]
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree entirely, Shvester. Do you think she could take moral instruction from my little talk about going to school in Norway in my youth, with the wolves and polar bears and all?

And on a more serious note, reinforcing someone's faith is cluttering their thoughts. And you would certainly try for that, yes?

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, what I wouldn't have given to have had razor blades strapped to my feet instead of boots. Some of us had it rough. We couldn't afford razor blades or straps--we had to make due with jamming shards of broken bottles into our feet before wading 30 miles to school, uphill through an open sewer the entire way, in driving sleet. And did we complain? No!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Wolves with sticks?

And I think that faith can be a helpful adjunct in being a good person. While not an requisite for being a good person and doing the right thing, religion is helpful for many in achieving those worthy goals.

No?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:

in driving sleet.

You had driving? We would have felt privileged to consider it.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
And did we complain? No!

Yeah, right.
King of Men
Member # 6684

Actually, my sister tells me that the wolves in the Bergen area have learnt to knap flint, and are making quite serviceable axes. Plus, of course, the global climate change caused by American overconsumption is causing the snowstorms to extend into June now.

And as for faith, I think it generally does more harm than good, to ethics as well as critical thinking. Most people are really quite decent, with or without faith.

Tinros
Member # 8328

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Do you think she could take moral instruction from my little talk about going to school in Norway in my youth, with the wolves and polar bears and all?

I lived in Alaska during 2nd and 3rd grade, and I walked to school. There were quite a few incidents where we weren't allowed outside for recess because of moose, bears, or wolves on the playground.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
the wolves in the Bergen area have learnt to knap flint
Knapping wolves? Golly!

quote:
And as for faith, I think it generally does more harm than good
I knew that you thought that. Tell me something I don't know.

Me, I'm baales teshuvah , and I find it to be a very postitive change.

Perhaps you could try it, to promote a balanced view.

King of Men
Member # 6684

Pfft. Sissy Americans. Any wolf that dared show itself on a playground in Norway would be killed, skinned, and eaten. The ears make excellent trophies.
Sister Annie
Member # 8480

- posted      Profile for Sister Annie   Email Sister Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Life is so different now. When I was your age, we had to indulge in gossip. Nowadays, there are online journals.
I really am serious when I say that LiveJournal is going to be the death of us all.

Either that, or the impetus for a heckuva fun new trend in romantic novels.

Posts: 67 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
LiveJournal is going to be the death of us all.
There's a theory that states it is what killed the dinosaurs.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
So you're saying that the dinosaurs kept active blogs? Now if only we could find the fossils to prove it...
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
The wolf descendant who lives in my home is a napping wolf.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

All roads lead to Rome.

And all Hatrack threads lead to puns.

It's sad, really.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It's the punultimate transition.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

It's the outbreak of the Fourth Punic War.
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
Tinros:

If they're not your friends, then why let it get to you? People talk and people take sides anytime a relationship ends up not working or falling apart. It's part of being human. A number of people I thought were my friends disappeared or said unkind things after my divorce. Granted, your split up may not be completely like a divorce, but there are still elements that are similar.

The point is-- people take sides. What should you do? Nothing...go forth in peace and fret no more. In the end, the folk that talk nasty about you on their journals are just making themselves look foolish. So, take the high ground and move on. Grieve, don't read their prattery, and let all of this go.

Unless, of course you have a vengeful spirit--then there's always a place for writing your own nasty journal. Somehow, however, I doubt you would stoop to this level.

Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

It's the attack of the killer <b>'s
Jess N
Member # 6744

So much for trying to boldface...I forgot about the new stuff on this board. Obviously, I've been gone longer than I realized. [Cry]
Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You have to type with [these] instead of <these>. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Boycott live journals. Too many people use them as a way to tell people things that they wouldn't dare say to their face.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

Yeah, I learned something new. [Blushing]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Boycott live journals.
I always do. Gossip is ever so much more satisfying.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Live journal, for the purpose of furthering social relationships or the act in any way of contributing to a social relationship, is the devil incarnate.

I have a Livejournal, as do most of my friends, but it is primarily used just to say "I had a bad day at work, blah blah blah, but I went to Cedar Point yesterday and blah blah blah" It's nothing of value, just venting out my day. I despise people who solve their problems or communicate via Livejournal. It's going to ruin their social skills when they are older, and realize they can't communicate with their loved ones by way of a website!

Livejournal is the devil! DEVIL!!

Seriously Tinros, stop reading his LJ, and stop reading his friends' LJs. If you want to know something then call him and ask him.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Here's the main problem. The two people causing the biggest problems are his best friend and his best friend's girlfriend. Matt has every, and I mean EVERY class with his best friend, including lunch. Meaning, I can't ever see him, because I think the two might be joined at the hip.

Even if I can't love Matt, his friendship is something I value highly, as I consider him one of MY best friends.

Oh, and by the way? Even MATT says his best friend is a jerk. Everyone I know does. And Matt's tried to get away from him before, just to spend time alone... doesn't work. They're two of the best computer programmers in the state, so they do EVERYTHING together. Same church, too, even though his best friend doesn't really listen to what the pastor says, cuz he's too busy with his girlfriend.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*whisper* Tinros, are you sure he isn't gay? [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

VERY sure, Tom.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They're two of the best computer programmers in the state
No, they're not.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
*whisper* Tinros, are you sure he isn't gay?

That's precisely what I was thinking.
Tinros
Member # 8328

Listen, I don't want to have to tell you again, I have my reasons to know he's not gay, but those are between him and me, and no one else. Please don't suggest it again.

And let me clarify: Matt is in the top ten of STUDENT computer programmers, in the Business Professionals of America competition. His best friend was between 11 and 30.

Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm, Tinros, exactly why do you want to have anything to do with this guy?

Seems like you stroke his ego and he, well, doesn't do anything back for you.

Go. Do. Enjoy. Live. Love. Just let the jerk twist in his own winds. He's not going to drop his friends for you and they aren't going to drop him over you. What good does any of this do for you? Seems like a lot of heartache for little payout.

Go find your own life and enjoy the heck out of it.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
but the best programmers don't do BPA, at least not here.

And who cares if he's gay, I'm pretty sure Tom was joking, or at least using a sort of humor you have to be more mature than you are (or really I am) to to understand

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

A web page by these two people: http://fthayes.com/facultydept/hke/hke.htm

http://fthayes.com/facultydept/rsovann/rsovann.htm

Won 2nd place in web design in this region of the BPA: http://fthayes.com/facultydept/bpaofficer/bpaofficer.htm

A region which happens to include Columbus!

When these people can do well in a region with that many people in it, it is clear to me that the BPA does not accurately reflect the makeup of students in the state.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Matt does BPA through the school. He does HTML programming stuff. Trust me, he's GOOD. I've seen what he can do. And unless the region that includes Columbus was OHIO ONLY, it wasn't a competition he was in. He won in my region, and placed top ten at state.

Matt isn't the problem. He's trying to break away from his best friend some so he can be with me a little, but his friend won't let him. Hence the problem. And Matt has taken a vow of honesty, so he can't lie to his friend and tell him he's doing yardwork or whatever to get out of stuff.

It's not Matt that's the problem.

fugu13
Member # 2859

First, writing HTML is not programming.

Second, the region is Ohio only, but only part of Ohio. I'm not saying it was a competition he was in, I'm saying that those people could do well in a BPA competition in such a good-sized (people-wise) region demonstrates the problems with judging someone based on their success in BPA competitions.

Third, since he does web design, surely you can link me to a site he has created?

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
if he has a friend so close that he's not able to do anythning else, he probably is to dependant on them.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

He's trying to break away from his best friend some so he can be with me a little, but his friend won't let him.

I don't understand how this is possible. Does it involve chains?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

He's in the process of making a site for his dad, who teaches trumpet, but his computer crashed, and he has to start from scratch.

He also builds computers from scrap. and programs them himself.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Um....
Russell, be gentle. There's a big fish/small pond thing going on here, and it's going to take Tinros a while to adjust to that.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

from scrap or scratch? if he does it from scrap steel I want to see one.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.