FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Where to go in Chicago? What about in San Jose? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Where to go in Chicago? What about in San Jose?
KetchupPrinceConsort
Member # 8047

- posted      Profile for KetchupPrinceConsort   Email KetchupPrinceConsort         Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to be flying to Chicago for work early next month and will have at least an afternoon/evening free (at least I hope). So far I know I have a reception to attend on Friday, Seminar/tour on Saturday morning and dinner Sunday night. Other than that, I don't want to be stuck at the hotel.

I don't know exactly where I will be staying only that it is by O'Hare airport. I won't have my own transportation. Is there anything around there that is interesting? Or is it fairly cheap to go downtown and what might be fun there?

[ January 18, 2006, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: KetchupPrinceConsort ]

Posts: 137 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sister Annie
Member # 8480

- posted      Profile for Sister Annie   Email Sister Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Art Institute! Art Institute!

Yeah, downtown's the way to go.

Posts: 67 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The Art Institute is indeed much fun. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KetchupPrinceConsort
Member # 8047

- posted      Profile for KetchupPrinceConsort   Email KetchupPrinceConsort         Edit/Delete Post 
I did some work for the Art Institute of Dallas. I guess the one in Chicago might be worth looking into...that or a Sox game [Wink]
Posts: 137 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sister Annie
Member # 8480

- posted      Profile for Sister Annie   Email Sister Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Seurat.... White Sox
Seurat.... White Sox

Hmmm.....

(and if you'd rather see the Sox than the Cubs, I'm not contributing anything further to this conversation. I won't even tell you where the Chicago dog restaurant is.)

Posts: 67 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

How can you miss an opportunity to see this?!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
In person, even. Seurat's colors are said to have a "glittery" effect. Prints/ditigal imagery just don't do impressionists any justice.

edited for horrible spelling errors!

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
<insert random love for transitchicago's Trip Planner here>. I use that site a lot since I don't have a car. It's awesome. And yeah, downtown's probably a good bet. It's about 40 minutes on the Blue Line from O'Hare to downtown, and it lets you off right in the heart of the Loop, so it's an easy walk to the Art Institute, and Grant and Millennium parks. Also not far from the Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, and the Planetarium.

If you're going to be traveling by public transportation a lot, I recommend getting a Visitor's Pass. They're good on both the CTA and Pace busses, and on the El trains (but not on Metra).

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KetchupPrinceConsort
Member # 8047

quote:
(and if you'd rather see the Sox than the Cubs, I'm not contributing anything further to this conversation. I won't even tell you where the Chicago dog restaurant is.)
Well, I actually would rather see the Cubs, but they are on a road trip the weekend I am there

I have always wanted to go to Wrigley Field too.

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a chunk of time, the Art Institute, the Museum of Science and Industry, the Field Museum, or the Shedd Aquarium are all worth the price of admission. (I miss them all a lot.)

And be sure to get a personal deep dish pizza at Giordano's. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Giordano's fans UNITE!!! When my sister and I played Barbies, we always had our Barbies "order" a large stuffed cheese from Giordano's. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sister Annie
Member # 8480

Ah, but Giordano's isn't nearly as cool as Gino's where you can write on the walls!
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm...Gino's!
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Gino's is fantastic, but it's a completely different kind of pizza. If you only have time for one, I'd hit Giordano's. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KetchupPrinceConsort
Member # 8047

Both are downtown?
Narnia
Member # 1071

I can't get my links to work!!

Gino's: http://www.google.com/maps?q=gino's+east+chicago&ll=41.850128,-87.651672&spn=0.495621,1.000648&num=10&start=0&hl=en

Girodano's: http://www.google.com/maps?q=giordano's&spn=0.247811,0.500324&near=Chicago,+IL&num=10&start=0&hl=en

Google maps will show you all. (I can't get it to work with UBB) [Smile]

I'm getting hungry.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by adam613:
I keep hearing about all of this famous Chicago pizza...are there any decent kosher pizza places? [Big Grin]

adam, I don't know anything about them, but there are several kosher pizza places.

Tel Aviv pizza is this poster's recommendation.
But this one likes Slice of Life.
This place got good reviews, but since it's not on the cRc list, it may not exist anymore.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, you guys coming to Chicago HAVE to go to Billy Goats!!!! cheezborger cheezborger no pepsi coke... LOL
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, since I had to drag him to the Dallas Museum of Art before we moved away because he'd lived there since he was 3 and had never been... Art museums aren't exactly his thing.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Go see BannaOJ -- hang out at her place. She can show you everything else (as can Goody Scrivener -- she took me to Billy Goats! It was wonderful!)

I can vouch for you to them since I met you in Dallas.

"Hey! Take him around -- he's a really cool guy!"

Farmgirl

[ August 25, 2005, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KetchupPrinceConsort
Member # 8047

I had been to the Dallas Art Museum prior to us going. I just hadn't been there in a really long time.
KetchupPrinceConsort
Member # 8047

I could meet hatrackers! Although KQ may get jealous if I have too much fun.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'm jealous anyway...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If you'd like, we could make it a whole Clump. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been to Chicago, other than an hour or so in an airport, but I recommend seeing the Chicago production of Wicked! If it's anything like the Broadway one, it's an awesome show!
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Indignigo
Member # 8496

- posted      Profile for Indignigo   Email Indignigo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second/third the Giordano's recommendation! For me, I think the best part of my Chicago trips was walking around, looking at the architecture, enjoying the lakefront, etc. Just look out for waves if you're walking the shoreline on a breezy day--I've been soaked to the knees over by the planetarium!

If you don't mind being a total tourist, the Sears Tower does offer a pretty impressive view, although it can take *forever* to get up and back down, which is kind of a drag if you're trying to make the most of a short window of time.

Oh, and I think the Museum of Science and Industry currently has Body Worlds on display--not sure how much longer. It looks fascinating but perhaps a bit disturbing.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Sears Tower is extremely busy on weekends and during the summer. I've gone on my lunchbreak during the winter and been up and down, including time to wander, in less than an hour. It's all in the timing. It's getting expensive, though, I think tickets are up to $15 per person.

Body Worlds leaves on September 5. Labor Day. Also extremely expensive - general admission plus Body Worlds is $30 per adult. (General admission alone is $9)

Wicked is on an open run with a permanent cast headed up by Ana Gasteyer (from Saturday Night Live) as Elphaba. I saw it with the touring cast and loved it, I'd really like to go back and see the Chicago crew to see how different it is. And my 12 year old is begging to go see as well.

And I'd definitely recommend Giordano's over Gino's or Uno's any day. [Smile]

Clump! Clump! Clump!

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the reason I prefer to go to Gino's is because we have a Giordano's in Rockford. I can go any time I like. But Gino's - can't get that here! Uno's is okay, I was happy to go to the one near my college, but I don't think I'd make a point to go there while in Chicago.

It was sorta fun to go to the flagship Giordano's, though, when I was there with some friends over Christmas.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

If he goes to see Wicked! without me, I swear I will never forgive him.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Clump! Clump! Clump!

What do y'all think? Dan, Julie, could you get down to Chicago around the end of the month? We haven't seen you guys in a while, either. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:

Clump! Clump! Clump!

What do y'all think? Dan, Julie, could you get down to Chicago around the end of the month? We haven't seen you guys in a while, either. [Smile]
Hopefully the weather will be better by then. It's supposed to be back in the 90s and humid here next week.

And people tease me about Chicago winters...

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
And people tease me about Chicago winters...

That's cause they're wimps who have no idea how to deal with snow. [Smile]
KetchupPrinceConsort
Member # 8047

Well, I will miss out on Body Worlds...I will not arrive until September 9th and even then not have free time until the 10th. I guess I better pass on the Wicked!
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Well, then you and KQ just need to come back another time for Wicked!!!
KetchupPrinceConsort
Member # 8047

Yes, maybe when I rack up enough frequent flyer miles.

This is the only business trip this year, but I think next year I will be going to Pittsburgh and Georgia.

Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
The aquarium is fantastic. And so is the museum of science and industry.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KetchupPrinceConsort
Member # 8047

Well, I am in Chicago...Oak Brook, actually. There only seems to be a shopping mall nearby and a cheesecake factory. I have from 4pm on tomorrow free, but not to much to do around this area and I think downtown is a bit far....any ideas?
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard the rumor that the Gino's on Rush was closed. Sob. We usta could get free pizza for music there.

I can, however recommend the best Irish pubs in town! Especially if you're an irish music fan.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
A cheesecake factory? What more could you possibly need???

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Or this?

I stood there and stared at this painting for the longest time. It was captivating.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Have a Ferris Beuller Day!
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

This is actually a pretty BAD weekend for downtown stuff... because the Stones are in town. I didn't realize it was this weekend that you were coming.

I've got a morning appointment with the kids but we'll be free from that around noon. We could come pick you up and at the very least do lunch?

My email is in my profile and I won't be moving from the computer for several hours... LOL

johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
You can pick up the Metra in Elmhurst and be downtown in no time! If you are near the Oakbrook Center mall you are very close (10 min cab ride)
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

The Angels are in town as well, if you are a baseball fan. I'm watching them right now. GO HALOS!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KetchupPrinceConsort
Member # 8047

Yeah, I might make it downtown. If anyone is interested in swimming in the hotels rooftop pool, I might do that depending on how warm it feels...
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Doing some quick checking:
Sears Tower Skydeck is open till 10pm both Saturday and Sunday. Cost is 11.95 per person.
Museum of Science and Industry is only open till 4pm. I have a membership to another museum that allows me reciprocal access to MSI, so that's free.
The rest of the museum campus is probably a bad idea because of the Stones concert, Field at least is closing early to avoid conflicts.
Fireworks at Navy Pier on Saturday! There's lots of stuff to do there (www.navypier.com) to keep us occupied until 9:00, including a couple allegedly excellent restaurants. I haven't eaten on the Pier before, unless you count McDonalds.

And as for warm? it's supposed to hit 90 tomorrow!

johnsonweed
Member # 8114

Sounds like a great day, Goody. Eating on the Pier is fun, but pricey! You are better off snacking and fining a better place in the loop.

We had no visitors this summer, so I missed out on most of the tourist stuff. We had planned on Brookfield Zoo today, but the kids are sick. Welcome back to school germs!

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Bummer, JW. I spent most of my childhood at Brookfield Zoo... course I was practically walking distance from the South Lot entrance. Now that I have kids, we spend lots of time on the Pier instead. And price is why we don't buy food there, although all of Chicago is expensive compared to DuPage County. Normally we pack a picnic basket or cooler and eat in the Crystal Gardens under the funky shooting fountains.

KPC has an early dinner with the regional manager after today's session, and then we're going to head into the city. I'm trying to convince the 8 year old to lay down and at least take a time out if not a full nap so she's not cranky for fireworks.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*so, so jealous that Jeff got to meet Goody*
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Well, ya know, KQ, now either you and Emma need to come to Chicago or the Goodlets and I need to go to LA!

And I just realized that we never got a picture of Jeff and Goody...

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.