FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help plan my itinerary!

Author Topic: Help plan my itinerary!
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Next week I shall be moving to California; I intend to drive across the country and see a bit of it. I'm excited! The question is, what parts of it should I see? The constraints are,

a) Start in Cincinnati, OH, on or around August 31st.
b) End in Palo Alto, CA, on or around September 24th.

What should fall in between?

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
If you pass through Florida, I'd be happy to join you for a beer. [Wink]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
So what's in California?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in New Jersey. If you are going to be near Exit 9, let me know, and I'll show you the sights.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
If you take a bit of a detour north that coincides with a weekend, you can go to the Minnesota Renaissance Festival. It's pretty fun, one of the biggest renfests in the country. Usually more of an all-day thing than a stop by and take a look thing, so depends on how much time you want to spend in one place.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Some people need to re-do that third grade geography quiz.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a few hours north of you, but I'm not sure if you'd need a visa to cross the border into Soviet Canuckistan, comrade.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I might be worth a detour. [Dont Know]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Renfest, eh? Not a bad idea. I shall definitely put it on the short list. For Soviet Canuckistan, well, I do have a visa for the US. I'm not convinced I want to leave the country, though; it might not be so easy to get back in. The Immigration types aren't very friendly, in my experience.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Oh, and California has SLAC, the Stanford Linear Accelerator Centre, where I am to work on

a) Getting my PhD
b) Maintaining the DIRC, a subsystem in the detector.

Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
I'm not convinced I want to leave the country, though; it might not be so easy to get back in. The Immigration types aren't very friendly, in my experience.
Should I feel badly for finding this amusing?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Driving 600 miles in exactly the opposite direction from your final destination would be quite a detour. [Razz]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Yes, but I'm quite a worthwhile attraction. [Big Grin]
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
KoM... since when do we let foreign nationals travel freely throughout the US like this? I think you should stop at every state Welcome Center and register with their Highway Patrol, at the very least.

Places to see (you can't possibly route efficiently through all of these, so you'll have to pick):
- Grand Canyon. Seriously. Spend a night.
- Sequoia National Park
- San Francisco
- Big Sur
- Santa Barbara
- Las Vegas (see a show...don't gamble)
- New Orleans (not really on the way, but you've got plenty of time)
- Bellingham, Washington
- Powell's Bookstore
- Tommy Burger in LA
- Hollywood and Vine
- Santa Monica Pier
- Death Valley
- The "Great Plains"
- Airplane graveyard in Tucson
- Gilroy California -- all garlic, all the time
- Hoover Dam (or whatever they're calling it now)
- Salt Lake City (it's so clean you could eat off it)
- The Great Salt Lake (it's so salty, you could lick it)
- If you see a "Stuckey's" stop and get Divinity fudge. [Big Grin]
- Don't miss Big Ben and the Champs Elyse.
- Venice Beach (the one in CA, or the one in Italy)
- Pearl Harbor (if you hit this, you've gone too far, turn back)

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Indignigo
Member # 8496

- posted      Profile for Indignigo   Email Indignigo         Edit/Delete Post 
Since you seem to have time for the scenic route, I recommend crossing the continental divide on Trail Ridge Road (Highway 34) through Rocky Mountain National Park. Beautiful views. I'd get distracted there and never make it to California. [Smile]
Posts: 7 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, you'd have to take a pretty big detour to NOT see the "Great Plains" on this trip. Prepare yourself for a boring stretch of driving through either one of the Dakotas or Nebraska.

If you go through South Dakota there's the Badlands and the Black Hills for some really nice scenary and the Corn Palace! for a uniquely American and uniquely lame tourist attraction. We had to stop there when we were kids, you should have to see it, too.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I remember visiting the Badlands in Dakota. Awesome! Even more impressive than the New Jersey scenery.

The Badlands are definitely worth seeing.

Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
- Las Vegas (see a show...don't gamble)

Vegas shows are more expensive than Broadway.

It's much more economical to play craps.

dkw
Member # 3264

quote:
Corn Palace Webcam: World's Only Corn Palace, Live!
>_<
Indignigo
Member # 8496

- posted      Profile for Indignigo   Email Indignigo         Edit/Delete Post 
The Badlands in SD are definitely impressive. And if you do wind up in that area, you may as well head over to the Black Hills for the obligatory look at Mount Rushmore, even though it's not as big as anybody expects it to be.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Bob, I think you are getting a bit confused on the difference between cars and airplanes, there. As it happens, though, I've seen Big Ben (though not the Champs-Élysées; maybe next summer).

Thanks for the suggestions; I'm off to bed now, but keep them coming!

[Sleep]

Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
mapquest thinks you should go IA, NE, WY/CO, UT. But if you went further south...

Rocky Mountain National Park near Boulder. Stunningly beautiful.

Dinosaur National Monument (never been there).

Mesa Verde, where the Anasazi lived in cliff dwellings.

Cave of the Winds and Pike's Peak, near Pueblo, CO.

Indian pueblos in the Albuquerque area.

Taos, NM. No skiing this time of year, but it's got to have other cool stuff.

Grand Canyon.

Las Vegas -- not for me, but people like it.

If you go thru St. Louis, Cahokian Indian Mounds.

If you go as far north as SD (or maybe other places), look up powwows. It's the right time of year! SD: Rushmore, and Crazy Horse Monument.

For California, I'd get Lonely Planet.

Have fun. I suspect you will!

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Sunset over Santa Monica Pier is one of the most beautiful sights known to mankind.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Bob aslo neglected to mention that if you take the most direct route (though I don't know why you would, since you've left yourself plenty of time to meander) you'll pass within 4 miles of our house.
Sister Annie
Member # 8480

- posted      Profile for Sister Annie   Email Sister Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should plan a route that lets you tour all kinds of famous churches and catherals.
Posts: 67 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sister Annie
Member # 8480

- posted      Profile for Sister Annie   Email Sister Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Many people on Hatrack can tell you much more about Utah than I can, I'm sure.
Don't eat at any restaurant chains, no matter how many people rave about them. [Smile]
Posts: 67 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the South Bay/Pennensula. Please be aware:

1> No one knows how to drive. Especially when it rains. You don't have to point that out.
2> Yes, those signs are in vietnamese, chinese or korean.
3> No the people at Fry's don't hate you... specifically.
4> No it's not rush hour, traffic always stops like that.
5> Don't worry, the air is only green in summer.
6> Please don't mock either of the people who ride the light rail.
7> No, that's not the downpayment on your house. That's your rent.
8> You can buy a gallon of gas or go to the movies on the same ten bucks.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Make a stop at Nielsen's Frozen Custard in Bountiful Utah. I used to work there, and their choclate frozen custard (really good ice cream in layman's terms) was named one of the top 100 things to eat in America.

Dude...it's really worth the detour if you can manage it.

Oh, and their burgers are really good to; and their french fries, and their onion rings, and their chicken wings, and their grinders and...*trails off into barely audible background noise*

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sister Annie
Member # 8480

You'll notice that every single recommendation you'll ever get on things to do in Utah involves food. (a few may involve miniature golf - if that's the case, plug your ears and hum)

Coincidentally, there's this Lebanese place in downtown Salt Lake called Cedars of Lebanon that is just plain heavenly. [Wink]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
In L.A. Cedars of Lebanon is a hospital. [Big Grin] (Well, it was. I combined with Sinai Medical to become Cedars-Sinai several decades ago.)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
Originally posted by Sister Annie:
I think you should plan a route that lets you tour all kinds of famous churches and catherals.

With gas so expensive? There's a limit to the number of Molotovs I can afford, you know. Besides, it's not as though there are any actual churches hereabouts. If it hasn't stood for five hundred years, and maybe seen off a siege or two, it's at most a chapel.

This evening I'll start planning the route in earnest; thanks for all the excellent suggestions. [Smile]

Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
You're in Cincinnati? That's about two hours from where I am (Bloomington, Indiana). If you wanted to stop off here, I'd buy you a pint or something.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Why would I want a pint? Silly American unit. It's liters or nothing! [Wink]
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking there were a lot of lovely churches along the way between Cincinnati and California... [Big Grin]

But barring that, if you drive through Denver, there are a lot of very nice places to stop. IMO, it's well worth the 60 or so mile drive south to the Springs to see Garden of the Gods. You could also hike up to Red Rocks, a natural amphitheatre that has the most gorgeous view. There may even be a concert around the time you're going. A personal favorite for the area for me is the Butterfly pavilion. I just love it because it's like sitting in a sauna with flying flowers. Very peaceful.

If you're driving through Denver, that means you're taking I70 West, which is a beautiful drive through the mountains. The colors may just now be starting to turn on the aspens. Lots of ski villages along the way, most with excellent food.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.