FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cost Saving Measures May Reduce James Webb Telescope's Utility

Author Topic: Cost Saving Measures May Reduce James Webb Telescope's Utility
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Read all about it.

Basically, the telescope is currently about a billion dollars over budget, and they're contemplating cutting the number of wavelengths the telescope would be able to perceive, which would shave off about $150 million from the final cost of the thing. Risk reduction is also a consideration here, as apparently getting the thing to be able to perceive visible light presents some difficulties.

If they proceed with this plan, it'll mean that the telescope won't be capable of seein in the visual spectrum, and so won't really be a replacement for Hubble.

Jay, I know you've said in the past that you are working on the James Webb telescope. What are your thoughts on all of this? Also, I'm curious--what do you do on the project? I think you've said, but I'm drawing a blank.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe he said before that he works on the computer software for the unit.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Right, that rings a bell.

I'm pretty interested to hear his take on this.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we heard about the over budget stuff here about a month ago. But this is the first I’ve heard about what they were planning on doing. We’re sort of like mushrooms here and get the leftovers. What we do is verify spacecraft software. So we get all kinds of documents and requirements and don’t really get to be involved in these kinds of decisions.

Personally I think this sounds like a bad way of fixing the problem. Maybe, this might just be me, but maybe, if they tried to have their reviews in a little bit cheaper spots (instead of some 5 star hotel in Vancouver last month, one in Germany here next year) it could help with the cost. But that might just be me. Guess that could hinder creative thinking or something. By the way, I haven’t gotten to go on one of these extravagant reviews yet (darn it).

I’d rather see them maximize the usefulness of JWST, not reduce it. I sent this on to our team here to see what they have heard.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
naledge
Member # 392

- posted      Profile for naledge   Email naledge         Edit/Delete Post 
QUOTE:
Basically, the telescope is currently about a billion dollars over budget
-------------------------------

That's just not due to optical problems, Noemon. There are a myriad of structural issues to work out on this project too. From what I understand the structural framework that will carry all the instruments of the JWST, referred to as ISIM -Integrated Science Instrument Module
LINK made out of composite materials operating at ungodly temparture extremes (-400F). The potential for structural failures due to temparture induced loading is high. So those guys have their work cut out for them.

-nal

Posts: 155 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.