FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Walmart employee stabbed in Albuquerque

Author Topic: Walmart employee stabbed in Albuquerque
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh. [Eek!] What is it with Walmart employees getting attacked at work? I just heard about this one on the news. This time the employee was saved by a good samaritan who shot the attacker. I'm thinking about avoiding Walmart parking lots. [Eek!]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
A link.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
While still incredibly horrible, at least this one wasn't random. It was the ex-husband.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It was the ex-husband.
And now thankfully an Ex-human being.
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Police say Moore [the 72 yr old man who shot the perpetrator] has been very cooperative and has not been charged with any crime
How very kind of them not to charge him. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swede
Member # 7560

- posted      Profile for Swede   Email Swede         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm personally not sure if I feel that it is okay to shoot people without it being seen as a crime.. or that everybody seems to be walking around with a weapon. But it is quite different "over here", I suppose.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wait long enough and somebody will say it...

I suppose he should have stood there and considered the options before firing.

Maybe he could have talked the guy down.

Maybe he could have asked him politely to stop.

Maybe he should have just stood and watched. After all, that man's life is of no less value than that woman's life.

How shocking that he even had a gun. It's clear that he committed a crime here. Throw the book at him!

Yeah. "Over there" sounds like such a beautiful place.

I'm sure your criminals don't have guns either, being that they follow your laws and all.

And everything is sunshine and lollipops and the clouds are made of cotton candy and everybody loves everybody! And oooh, it's just so much FUN!

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm personally not sure if I feel that it is okay to shoot people without it being seen as a crime.. or that everybody seems to be walking around with a weapon. But it is quite different "over here", I suppose.
Thats the wonderful thing about America... Everybody has the right to carry a gun, and to re-act to situations in ways that only someone who was there/has been there could justify.

To be honest, I think everybody should carry a gun, not only for defense, but think about how much more polite our society would be if every person was able to act as judge, jury, and executioner.

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by J T Stryker:
think about how much more polite our society would be if every person was able to act as judge, jury, and executioner. [/QB]

Yikes! That's not a society I'd want to be in at all.

Of course, I also think guns in society is a negative thing, in general - I'm sure there are tons of specific incidents were guns helped.

Though I am going to start paying more attention when I go to WalMart.

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I just don't go to Wal-Mart.

Not because I'm afraid of being killed, though.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

quote:
Thats the wonderful thing about America... Everybody has the right to carry a gun, and to re-act to situations in ways that only someone who was there/has been there could justify.
This reminds me of something scary that my Business Law teacher said. He said that if you do get in a situation like this, shoot to kill don't just wound them so that they're no longer a threat. If they're dead and it's clear it was self defense, you get off scott-free. If they're not dead and it's clear it was self defense, they can still sue you like crazy- and frequently win.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, if I could go somewhere else I would. However, I'd have to travel to a different town if I wanted certain things.

As much as I dislike Wal-Mart, I can't justify spending money on gas (not to mention time) just to avoid them.

quote:
If they're dead and it's clear it was self defense, you get off scott-free. If they're not dead and it's clear it was self defense, they can still sue you like crazy- and frequently win.
I think I'd rather be sued than to kill someone, that's just me, though.
Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Crazy pacifists... [Grumble]
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

Katarain, to whom is that comment directed?
Katarain
Member # 6659

??? To the pacifists!!!
Amanecer
Member # 4068

LOL. [Razz]
Derrell
Member # 6062

As the starter of this thread,I'm going to ask that any discussion of the pros and cons of gun ownership be kept civil.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

I think Katarain was just joking... [Dont Know]
Derrell
Member # 6062

That may be true, but around here, threads have a habit of getting derailed. That request was for anyone who's contemplating discussing gun control in this thread.
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Texas people look at you funny if you DON'T carry a gun (I don't pack weapons---good thing as I am a middle school teacher who might give in to temptation).

I have to be on the side of the non-pacifists here. Shoot 'em all.

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
for the record, I was joking too. I am just saying if it were my crazy ex-husband (if I had one) I would hope someone would come to my defense.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.