FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Yet another example of the Daily Show's brilliance

Author Topic: Yet another example of the Daily Show's brilliance
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Stewart's take on Justice Sunday

I just about died laughing at the bit about the 4th circuit court of appeals judge (watch the clip to see why).

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Stewart is a national treasure. I once wrote the daily show and suggested that he run for president. Maybe I should do that before an election year.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish he would run for president. I could trust him, at least. I think we need to stop having "professional politicians" run for office for a while.
Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you kidding? Stewart might make a good choice for president after he'd been seasoned by years in lesser elected positions, but I wouldn't want someone in office that had no experience with governing, regardless of how bright and funny they were, or how closely their politics aligned with my own. Political experience is not a bad thing for the president of the United States to have.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno. It seems to me that the longer one stays in politics, the less I want that person there.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of that I found offensive. Except for the part where I am an Indian ruled by Swedes- that's just funny...
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
FlyingCow, I hear you--most of the people who are attracted to power strongly enough to seek and hold elected office for decade after decade are probably not the most savory lot. At the same time, though, the presidency seems like too huge of a responsibility to entrust it to a political neophyte, no matter how intelligent and well intentioned they may be. Experience does count for something.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. That's a pretty good microcosm of why I don't bother to watch the Daily Show anymore. It often just doesn't do anything for me.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
The Daily Show certainly is becoming more polarized. If anything, that makes me like it better, but I can see why some conservatives are getting put off.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stark
Member # 6831

- posted      Profile for Stark   Email Stark         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this show so much, if you can't sit back and enjoy a good laugh you're taking yourself and your views to seriously. I never understood the point of shielding oneself from 'biased' influences. If your ideology can't stand up to critisism it deserves it.
Posts: 58 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Except for the part where I am an Indian ruled by Swedes- that's just funny...

Egad. You're, like, the anti-viewer.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to suggest Dagonee clerk for Justice Kitty.
That might be really interesting; I'll just bet she's hell on wheels when it comes to trademark rules.

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Stewart takes some HUGE swings at Democrats too. If you miss them, it's because you're looking for the anti-right stuff and somehow filter everything else out.

If Democrats were the party in power, I have no doubt he'd be hammering them just as hard.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

Well, I'm sure it would be a better job than clerking for Judge Bin Laden.

Yeah, the Daily Show is definitely slanted. Still, I've seen some pretty conservative guests come off looking good after an interview, and democrats/liberals will also be the butt of jokes on occasion. The fact that the Republicans are controlling much more of the federal government than the Democrats are probably contributes as well. The Democrats don't do much at all, so they're really not that easy to make fun of.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
The way Jon Stewart treats his conservative guests keeps me in his camp, even though his straight reporting is becoming more about simply criticizing one side in our national debate, and much less about making jokes.

As an interviewer, he's a class act, and you can even see his guilt over the fact that his audience always sides with him [Smile] I love that. He WANTS the other guy to get applause, too, even though they disagree.

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, though, that the segment cited here is one of the weakest he's done lately. I guess if you're completely and fanatically in his camp, all his criticisms come off as amazing zingers that get you all excited about how dumb your opponents are. But as a more moderate observer, all I can see is him saying again and again, "I disagree with these guys, and they make me mad, but they haven't actually done or said anything SO awful that I can make a funny joke out if it" [Smile]
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

For me, it was mostly just the Bin Laden thing. I guess it's because he said exactly what I was thinking, but with good timing, and a picture to go with it.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

But as a more moderate observer, all I can see is him saying again and again, "I disagree with these guys, and they make me mad, but they haven't actually done or said anything SO awful that I can make a funny joke out if it"

Which is actually a shame, because everything that toad Zell Miller said is pretty darn awful. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

Noemon - "Are you kidding? Stewart might make a good choice for president after he'd been seasoned by years in lesser elected positions, but I wouldn't want someone in office that had no experience with governing, regardless of how bright and funny they were, or how closely their politics aligned with my own. Political experience is not a bad thing for the president of the United States to have."

I think he knows more about, well pretty much everything than our current president....

Lyrhawn - "Stewart takes some HUGE swings at Democrats too. If you miss them, it's because you're looking for the anti-right stuff and somehow filter everything else out.

If Democrats were the party in power, I have no doubt he'd be hammering them just as hard."

I think he is truthful and not as biased as the right thinks. He just wants honest, hardworking, knowledgeable people in power- republican, democrat, whatever. Like Michael Moore, who also bashes democrats on a regular basis.

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Please, please don't compare Jon Stewart to Michael Moore.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

I don't see the problem. All I was saying was that they both want honest hardworking people in politics...Why do you oppose?
RynoW1
Member # 8365

- posted      Profile for RynoW1   Email RynoW1         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
Please, please don't compare Jon Stewart to Michael Moore.

I second this. I lean middle-right but LOVE The Daily Show, I think it helps lighten politics just enough so we don't take ourselves too seriously.
Posts: 64 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.