FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I like cooking ! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I like cooking !
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm cooking my very famous Tartiflette.
"But, what is it ?" said many of you.
take some peeled poatatoes, cut them in litle cubes (or slice, if you prefer), put into boiled water and let cook. During the same time, take a bacon and cut it into diced lardons. Put it into a frying pan and let reduce it. After put onion, into slices and put them with lardon in the pan.
When potatoes are cooked, put it out the water and put them into the pan (onion must be a little yellow) and let fry it. After a moment, put all of that in an bowl who can go in oven. add some herb (what you like. Cumin is good) and salt and pepper. Add fresh cream (crème fraiche in french i don't know the translation) and an half reblochon (french cheese from alpes), cuted in two in the thickness). Put it the rind face up in the bowl.
Let cook in the oven, and you have what i am eating [Big Grin]

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I like chinese take-out.
Order a sesame chicken lunch special with pork-fried rice and wontons, and you have what I am eating!

Seriously though, that sounds good, Choobak. You had me at "bacon"

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I like cooking too! The only real drawback to living in dorms.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic:
You had me at "bacon"
--Enigmatic

Oh man, that was priceless! [ROFL]

Choobak, did you consider posting this on Dag's site, in the "Recipes" section? Oh, and since you like cooking check out some of the recipes in there! Though you might have problems understanding some of the terms... I know I have... Gotta try some of those when I have some time on my hands, they sound yummy! [Big Grin]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Corwin, if you liked that you should read this.

I agree that women like a man who can cook. Nearly every time I've cooked for a woman it went over really well. The only problem with this is its not something you can usually demonstrate to a potential date until she agrees to come over to your place. Not easy to pull off on a first date.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
Dagonee is now in the kitchen working on a new culinary masterpiece, the tuna burger. He has procured fresh tuna and cilantro for this undertaking.

Yay! Yay! Yay!

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate you, now I'm hungry! :shakes fist:

Loved the "epipheny" story. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
crème fraiche in french i don't know the translation
In America, it's...

crème fraiche. [Wink]

It's not always widely available, though; many cookbooks suggest making your own or substituting sour cream thinned down a little if you don't have access to it.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Cheese, meat, and potato.

Sounds like HEAVEN.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Choobak, you could post that recipe over at www.princeclan.org if you want to preserve it for posterity. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, to post it, but i'll do during this week, with more details. I wrote that during the cooking in the oven. So, i had to write very quickly. [Big Grin]

And about crème fraiche (french are the king of cooking... You have no crème fraiche ?) I'll suggest you to switch it with milk (whole milk), but do less than crème fraiche. It mustn't be too liquid.

And about women who like cooking, it doesn't work, 'cause i already date girls for a dinner in my home, without result. Sorry, for your dream...

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
We have crème fraiche. We just don't have it in every store in every part of the country. Personally, I could get it if I wanted to spend that much money. But it would be cheaper and easier for me to make my own. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yum yum yum.

[Smile]

You can't get proper creme fraiche in Australia because of pasteurisation laws. I wonder if that's the same in the US?

They sell a version of it here, but it's just not as good. [Frown]

Oh well, another reason to visit France again.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You can get real crème fraiche here. Also fresh cheese, unpasteurized milk and juice...

I don't usually, but you can.

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, lucky things.

There are many french cheese that can't be imported here because of the whole pasteurisation thing. It's a pain.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there are people who are trying to get laws passed to prevent sale of unpasteurized dairy products, but it hasn't happened yet. I have mixed feelings on the issue.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to cook, also. I pride myself in being able to make delicious meals when there is nothing in the house to eat. I just invent good stuff as I go along.

But I hate scrubbing pots and washing dishes. I wish I had a kitchen elf to help with that.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I have one. His name is Bob, and he told me before we got married that he enjoys doing dishes.

I am a lucky, lucky woman.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
I have mixed feelings on the issue.
Care to elaborate? [/curious]

Personally, I think as long as standards for testing of harmful bacteria are high and there's clear labeling of unpasteurized vs. pasteurized products, people should have the choice.

rivka
Member # 4859

I know of too many stories where people have died from eating unpasteurized foods to be fully comfortable with their sale. Some people just don't know the risks. Their fault, perhaps, but should they die because of it?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Edited to add: in response to dkw's post:

Indeed, you are.

Fahim won't do dishes, nor will he cook.

But, then, he works, and I don't have to, so really, I've still got the better end of the deal. I just hate doing dishes. *sigh*

Choobak, I'm with Enigmatic. You had me at bacon, too. Could it be because I'm married to a Muslim, and can't have pork in the house? I haven't had bacon since Canada!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
We eat something called beef fry. Maybe not as fatty as bacon, but made of cow instead of pig, and kosher.

But that wouldn't work in the recipe either -- it ain't kosher to mix up the meat with the milk.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You could use oil or butter (if you wanted that animal-fat taste) instead, Tante. I would add some extra flavor, though. They do make soy bacon, if you wanted to crumble some in near the end for "bacon" flavor (it's actually not bad.)
rivka
Member # 4859

Maybe it has improved in the few years since I've had it, but I wasn't very impressed with it. *shrug* Maybe I just don't like the taste they're attempting imitate? Dunno.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That's the soy bacon I was speaking of; my brother the almost-vegetarian eats it. [Smile] I am a confirmed bacon-eater, but even I like it okay.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I like cooking as well, though my skills are mainly in the area of baked goods. I can make a good dish of spaghetti and meatballs though. Really good stuff.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I make a good cake and can do a decent quickbread or biscuit, but I couldn't bake yeast bread to save my life.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by adam613:
It has improved fairly recently, although I'm not exactly sure when.

I will have to try it again! I do like most of their stuff. [Smile]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Yeah, I've tried that. It is hard to keep in the house. My son has a peculiar liking for frozen food, and he eats strips of that -- frozen -- for snacks. He also scarfs down frozen vegetables, frozen pizza bagels, frozen waffles, frozen veggie burgers, and, especially, frozen blintzes. And when I say "frozen", please understand that I am not talking about frozen food that you warm up. He eats these things FROZEN. I know that he will never read this post, because he would never, obviously, click on a thread titled "I like cooking!" The boy seriously does not cook.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Oy vai!

The beef fry wouldn't work for Fahim either unless it's halal. And available in Sri Lanka. [Big Grin] You know, just to make life difficult and all that.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Beef fry is Kosher by Jewish standards. Is that acceptable for Muslims?
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Nope. It has to be halal by Muslim standards. [Big Grin]
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Enigmatic, have you ever tried to oven bake bacon? It gives a good, even ...um... 'cooked-ness'. We do that at our house because we also like the thick-sliced bacon and it's too hard to do that in a skillet. Also because it takes too long to fry in a skillet due to the sheer *volume* of bacon that we like. (Husband is a baconhound)
Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I would love to be a baconhound. *drools* Husband would divorce me if I tried it, though.
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
With good reason!
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quid, you've mentioned having non-halal food in the house before. Is bacon worse, or is it the need to cook it?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
We do that at our house because we also like the thick-sliced bacon and it's too hard to do that in a skillet. Also because it takes too long to fry in a skillet due to the sheer *volume* of bacon that we like. (Husband is a baconhound)
Nuh, uh. You just have to know how to do it right. And it doesn't take long to fry up a whole package. My daddy taught me. [Big Grin] (We live in a climate where it is worth it to figure out how to do it right without turning on the oven...)
jexx
Member # 3450

kq, I respect your right to skillet-fry bacon. *grin* But my way is better.

[Razz]

The thing is, if you put the bacon on a rack on a cookie-sheet in a cold oven, THEN turn it to 400 degrees, it bakes up sooo nicely. The fat solids stay on the bacon strips, but a lot of the fat drops to the cookie-sheet below, giving me the illusion of eating less fattening fat. Hehe. Also, the bacon strips stay flat instead of curling up. Flat bacon is easier to put on a BLT. About the heat: I can walk away from the oven as the bacon cooks. I love that.

Now I want bacon.

Rats.

[Wink]

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
Cooking rules!

... When you're in the mood that is, otherwise it takes way more time than it takes for someone to eat the food [Razz]

I like cooking breakfast the most to tell the truth. Pancakes, scrambled eggs, omelettes, french toast... name almost any breakfast food and I've probably made it before. [Big Grin]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
The thing is, if you put the bacon on a rack on a cookie-sheet in a cold oven, THEN turn it to 400 degrees, it bakes up sooo nicely. The fat solids stay on the bacon strips, but a lot of the fat drops to the cookie-sheet below, giving me the illusion of eating less fattening fat. Hehe. Also, the bacon strips stay flat instead of curling up. Flat bacon is easier to put on a BLT. About the heat: I can walk away from the oven as the bacon cooks. I love that.

All these things apply to the way I cook bacon on the stove, which is obviously not the way you do it. [Razz]

quote:
Now I want bacon.

Rats.

Me, too!
jexx
Member # 3450

edited to add: this is in response to Rico's post--you all are too fast!

Huevos Rancheros?
(that's what hubby made for breakfast on Sunday)

I don't think that eggs and refried beans belong together, frankly, but who am I to ruin hubby's fun? [Wink]

eta to kq: I must be totally doing it wrong! LOL

pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I like assisting my mother in making breakfast when I'm at home (and when we actually have a real breakfast). I usually make biscuits and try and help with the bacon/sausage. My mother makes gravy and eggs and such. It's usually quite a feast for us. Too bad it doesn't happen more often.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by jexx:

Huevos Rancheros?
(that's what hubby made for breakfast on Sunday)

I don't think that eggs and refried beans belong together, frankly, but who am I to ruin hubby's fun? [Wink]

Heh, yeah I've cooked that before but I can't say I really like it. Just like some people like to eat Steak with their eggs and other things like that... I like to keep my breakfast separate from my dinner [Smile]

Some of my favorites:

Ham and Cheese Omelette - Simple, easy, good!

Asparragus & Salmon Omelette - Not bad, can replace asparragus w/ fresh mushrooms for a similar taste.

"Paraquet" Scrambled eggs (rough spanish translation) - Not sure if there's a recipe out there for this as it's sort of a family recipe. Saute some chopped onions and diced tomatoes with butter and olive oil, drain the oil and then scramble with eggs, milk, butter and cheese.

Onion, Tomato and Salmon Omelette - Did I mention Salmon is one of the few fish I like to eat? Not really a big fan of seafood [Razz]

I usually also prepare Arepas (as seen in Dagonee's website) as a side dish. This, combined with some of these recipes (or others I haven't mentioned) makes for quite a tasty and filling breakfast! Seriously, you'll be full until dinner time [Wink]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I don't like eggs very much in general. But I make a decent omelette, and the only scrambled eggs I will eat.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

rivka - it's that I'd have to cook it, and there's no way to get the dishes/utensils clean enough afterwards. If I have non-halal stuff here, it has to be ready to eat. But yes, pork is the worst. [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quid, can you have one special pan that's for non-halal stuff? And can you eat on paper plates with plastic utensils?
quidscribis
Member # 5124

It's not worth the hassle - cleanup, sponges, cross-contamination, paranoia, OCD (Fahim's). Honestly, I'm whining, but I'm not really complaining. Thanks, though. [Big Grin] I will content myself with eating non-Halal foods on occasions when we're out and about in restaurants and such. [Smile]

OOOOOH! I just remembered - the last time I had bacon was the Mt. Lavinia Hotel breakfast buffet - I was there to do a hotel review. Hmm. April? [ROFL]

Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little confused - what is halal? I mean, I looked up the wikipedia article on it, which provided an excellent description of what is not halal, but I'm not sure what's included on the okay list. Pork is out, as is alcohol, not sure on the water-living creatures. But beef, chicken, lamb, goat - are those okay?

*is curious for no specific reason*

P.S. I love bacon! And French food! And cooking is a lovely idea that I never have time for - but I greatly admire those who do. [Smile]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

What if you use a disposable pan? Rivka got some nifty aluminum foil cookware when we had DallasCon. Is that kind of stuff available where you live? You could cook in it and then throw it away...
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Nell, you know that when kosher meat is prepared, they have a special method and special prayers they say during the process, right? Well, for halal meat, they also have a ritual slaughter process. It's like that, but different prayers. Kind of.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.