FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Yo all back in school (psst all hackers pls help)

Author Topic: Yo all back in school (psst all hackers pls help)
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
So I have a comfy scheduel and i'll try to diagram it in a moment i have 5 classes and will be taking the train to school probly for now on and etc.

Okay gave up trying to make a diagram. [Frown]

But ya k new comps in labs with DVD drives and I want to watch some movies.

Problem #1 the movies i want to watch are on a datadisk in ogm format, so WMP doesnt reconize them, I go to install Core Media Player can't not an admin.

How do I get into the admin account? In the meanwhile I'll try to figure it out else wise.

See what happens is when the computer goes on it asks you to cntrl alt delete and from their enter in a user name and a password and then which server.

Would appreciate any help to allow me to watch my movies. [Smile]

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I read through this three times, and I think I understand this now.

You want to d/l something onto a computer in a computer lab. There is a reason for admin accounts--they don't *want* you to d/l things onto school computers.

Helping you get around this would be unethical!

Ask a lab tech for help, maybe they know an innocuous program that *they* can d/l onto the school computer.

Good luck. [Smile]

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't we go through someting similar to this last year with someone who wanted to hack the school's admin accounts?
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
It's unlikely anyone here will help with that, even if they could.

Take jexx advice, ask a lab tech if it's at all possible for them to install a player that can recognize ogm. They might be willing/allowed to install something.

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I sure hope the lab techs don't help you. You're in school. Do school work. Watch movies at home, on your own time.

</curmudgeon.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm honestly amazed that people put enough effort into deciphering that to know what Sid was asking for.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just amazed Sid asked for it.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Hey with my scheduel I have like 1.5 to 3 hour break inbetween classes. Now I can only watch non ogm movies as it is. [Frown] [Mad]
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
They make portable DVD players fairly cheap nowadays.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Except portables probably don't read ripped DVDs, afr...

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah so.

Hey Sid, does your school have a library? Books are really handy for filling up a few hours.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you should study English in between classes.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn, 15 min. too late. After reading the first post I was going to say exactly what Theaca said.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The funny thing is that I spend a few hours a week making sure kids like Sid don't get to do things like view illegally-ripped movies using custom player software on our public lab machines. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Theaca if this wasn't a family forum there would be several choicy words I would say to you right now.

Tom: I don't know if they are illegal or not its Rouruni Kenshin an anime and its hard to consider it illegal considering you can watch it on TV I just like watching it in japanese /w subtitles.

And I'm 18 and not a kid anymore. So there.

And umm turns out the labs just down the hallway have dvd drives as well and those I can install stuff on since they have the blue freeze thingy.

So now i can finally play video games at school to whiddle away the wee ours.

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So now i can finally play video games at school to whiddle away the wee ours.
And, on that note, I'm going to have to second Theaca's post.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

My english is fine!
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Why not just say you don't care about the quality of your English? It's not a position I personally hold, but it has the benefit of being internally consistent with your other posts.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

I'm just going to laugh over here for a little bit.

*hehehehehe*

Sorry. I think it was the whole
quote:
I'm 18 and not a kid anymore. So there.
statement.

Oh, and don't go verbally abusing Theaca [No No] well, go ahead. Chances are none of us are going to take the time to try and decipher what you said anyway.

[Roll Eyes]

Do schoolwork at school, knucklehead!

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

I have enough restraint not to abuse her, or least not infront of others... [Razz]
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't have homework?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Spend a few bucks on a portable DVD player or spend even more money on a laptop with a dvd drive. Problem solved. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Nope, not yet anyways and when I do ave it I finish it, and when its doen I have nothing to do.

Storm Saxon: Yes that would solve it if only i have 3000-4000$ to dish out for a good one.

DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, You and I have the same job [Smile]
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
>>Yes that would solve it if only i have 3000-4000$ to dish out for a good one.

Good heavens!

You're a student-- you don't need to spend $4k on a computer. You can get a good refurbished laptop for less than $1200 that will easily run any game or DVD that you need to run.

The only reason you should be spending more than $2k on a laptop is if you're a graphic designer or movie producer.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

I c, but how to I display my sheduel online? I cant provide a link without giving my JAC account/pinnumber and I can't seem to be able to copy and past the printer friendly version...
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
All an empty schedule shows us is that you're not taking enough classes. [Razz]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Portable DVD players can be gotten for less than $150 dollars, I think. And it's very easy to find a laptop for under $600 after rebate.

Another alternative that I can think of is to find some kind of anime society on campus and see if you can make some kind of AV connection.

Another alternative is to skip the anime and watch what movies the film department on your campus offers. UGA had one a million years a go where you could just check movies out and watch them in a cubicle. It was awesome. [Smile]

Or you could, Lord love a duck, read a book.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
I concur with Storm...read a book. If you have to put out this much energy to figure out how to watch a movie, then it's probably not worth it.

Or, even better (if that's possible)--go find some folk to hang out with and just...talk. It's down time at college where you start making friends, sometimes life-long. So, instead of hanging out with your DVD player, find some people to talk to. That's what college is all about, right?

Oh yeah, there's that education thing too. [Razz]

Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh man...this made me laugh SO hard. The only thing better would have been the tongue-sticking out smiley at the end.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by jeniwren:
quote:
Oh man...this made me laugh SO hard. The only thing better would have been the tongue-sticking out smiley at the end.
I like it better without - it sounds so serious and wannabe-dignified!

[Razz]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I think we're getting slightly mean to Sid. It's not nice to be laughing at Sid's expense, or at least don't post it if you do.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I have over 300 books and out of book selves and READ THEM ALL >2 TIMES!!! And certain books more then 2 time slike Ender/Bean books.

However I don't like to reread books right away sometimes I don't pick it up again for a month.

Now there is an anime club and I am a member but its hard to get anything off of them and some of them are mean and supposedly talk about me behind my back dispite ALL my best efforts at being pleasant and friendly.

As for the movie collection they don't have that many and there's a closing time and on tuesdays it looks like i might be here for 5 hours at a time.

However I did figure out how to play games like Hoi2. Just have the game installed on ym home computer, burn a data dvd of the game directory and copy it onto a school computer and w00t a way to whiddle away my free time. And the techies tend to take a blind eye to stuff like this esp if I'm not disturbing anyone.

And ya that sentence Nell + others was meant to be funny you don't serously think I'm that pathetic? As for money I only have 100$ and unsure about my finances considering I'm in a kinda limbo at work they say I'm not fired but aren't calling me for the past 2 weeks, though Nick came back for vacation (coincidentally the same 2 weeks that they didn't call) and he'll take it over with my othe rboss christos since he hasn't got a clue of what happened.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Theaca if this wasn't a family forum there would be several choicy words I would say to you right now.
Question is would you spell any of them right? [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Jaime, teens often take themselves too seriously. Since Sid isn't a kid anymore, I'm sure he saw the humor in what he wrote.

It's kind of you to be so empathetic.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
And ya that sentence Nell + others was meant to be funny you don't serously think I'm that pathetic?

(Sid, is that you?) Of course not; I thought that was the effect you were going for. [Smile]
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

As for money I only have 100$ and unsure about my finances considering I'm in a kinda limbo at work they say I'm not fired but aren't calling me for the past 2 weeks, though Nick came back for vacation (coincidentally the same 2 weeks that they didn't call) and he'll take it over with my othe rboss christos since he hasn't got a clue of what happened.

In this case, you don't have time to be sittin' around watchin' DVDs, foo'. Go put out applications, you goof!
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah... Rurouni Kenshin... good show.

Here's the thing, there's already DVDs out of it with the option of Japanese in English subtitles. Just look in your local Best Buy or something. Last I went, they had up to episode 16... that was years ago, so they may have more.

So... you can pay for the show to have it in the same quality you do, but you have it for free... I'm guessing what you have isn't perfectly legal.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a lab admin and we don't care what students do on them as long as it isn't illegal. And as far as that goes, we pretty much leave it up to them to behave. In fact, if the software is free and isn't tied to illegal behaviors like P2P and DVD rippers and if the software is safe, we will install the software if asked.

I've had a student ask how to rip motion picture DVD's. Pretty funny.

Our primary principles are that students aren't allowed to 1) alter the system config in any way that will affect our automated maintenance, 2) alter anything that will affect other users, 3) use any of our computers as servers, or 4) view what other users did on the computer. Past those 4 restrictions, we try to make the computers as useful and full featured as possible.

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

That's why I advised sid to ask an admin. I was perfectly serious, and if the program was a safe one, certain the admin would be of help.

Still, I did poke a little fun. And I'm not sorry about it. [Razz]

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
English teachers the world over feel a great disturbance in the Force... as if millions of grammar rules suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

I second the comment about using your time to read. It seems it would do you good.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Core media Player and... whatcha macallit... k-lite codec pack is what I intended to install. Both are free and i think open source.

And yes I was going for the funny effect but to the point some of you would seriously think that I'm 12 or less. I'm 18 and perfectly mature for my age.

And flying crow did you read my earlier post? I have over 200 books.

raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to try a memory stick. I would suggest VLC or MPlayer installed at home on to your memorystick. I suggest MPlayer or VLC because they both are self contained (usually) and you wouldn't leave much if anything behind on the machine.

As the others said though, It's probably not a good idea.

I did this with putty at school while I was bored in my "Computer Essentials" class, in which I slacked off if I showed up on non-test days and still got an A-.

If all else fails get a dvd-burner and transcode them to MPEG2 CBR for DVD.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

meh, memory stick neh? interesting...
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And flying crow did you read my earlier post? I have over 200 books.
Okay, wonderful. I have over 200 pictures. Doesn't make me a photographer. Have you read these 200 books? And, if so, did you understand them?

I doubt your reading comprehension ability after you read that I am a "crow". [Roll Eyes]

Most of my 13 year old students from last year wrote more cogently and maturely than you have so far in this thread. You make yourself sound ignorant and uneducated, not to mention juvenile.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.