FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My lettuce is wilting!

Author Topic: My lettuce is wilting!
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow, the lettuce in my family's refrigerator at home always stays crisp. When I buy lettuce and put it in my dorm refrigerator, it's limp and unappetizing within a day or two.

I don't have a special vegetable compartment. Is this my problem, or am I doing something else wrong?

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's still in a bag, and it should be, add some water to the bag. Say, about 2 or 3 tablespoons. Shake it around so the lettuce leaves get wet. Drain off the excess. It'll stay crisper longer. It will perk up in an hour or so.

You can also do this with mint, cilantro, parsley, basil, and everything else that's leafy.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooooh.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooooh?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Watering the leafy veggies while they are in the fridge. What an amazing idea.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem could be that your dorm is in a place where it's still over 100 degrees in the daytime. I'm guessing your parents don't have that problem.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
The fridge is pretty cold inside. But it's certainly a lot drier here. That may be the problem, and keeping the lettuce wet might help. Thanks for the tip, quid.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep reading this thread as My lettuce is willing !

Willing lettuce, at your command.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Willing for what, that's the question. Slutty lettuce? The images searing my brain!!!!

You're welcome, Shigosei. [Big Grin] And Theaca, too, apparently. [Smile]

bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been worried about our lettuce's moral integrity. It's slouched over by the peppers all the time. I think our lettuce is far too willing.
Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm. I have found the opposite to be true. If, when I get home, I wash greens, spin them dry in my salad spinner, and then seal them shut in a plastic bag or tupperware container with a papertowl in with them, they stay crisp for well over a week, sometimes two. Theaca, since you're in a climate more like mine, that might work better for you. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Oh wait, Shigosei, I didn't mean to imply that you should keep your lettuce wet. You add water, shake it around, and then drain off whatever's left over. If you leave them wet, they'll go slimy. I didn't see that comment before.

What Eljay's describing is pretty much the same thing, only I shake, whereas she spins.

KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
You can also re-invigorate limp lettuce by soaking it briefly in very cold water. If your cold tap water isn't that cold, just soak the leaves you intend to eat in a bowl of water with a few ice-cubes. If the lettuce wasn't too far gone in the first place, it should perk back up.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
If quids and I are talking about the same thing, then, I must reiterate that I think keeping a paper towel in the container with the lettuce is the key to storage. I learned this from my natural food co-op, and I haven't had to throw out slimy greens since. [Smile] Well, except for when I forget about them and leave them for a couple of months. [Wink]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, the paper towel is key. Also, you can get special bags that supposedly keep lettuce (and other vegetables) fresh for a longer period of time. Supposedly they have pores that allow the vegetables to "breathe".
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are great. Sadly, they don't seem to make them anymore (rather, the major manufacturer who did doesn't seem to anymore, and now they're an expensive specialty item), and my supply from when they did has run out. My mom still has a box or two . . .
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I went to throw out the leftover leaf lettuce that's been in my fridge for a month. It's still in the wimpy bag from the grocery store, never been washed, no paper towel, but it's in the veggie compartment.

It's still crisp. No green slime at all. o_O

I love my new refrigerator. [Group Hug]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Even with the best storage efforts that are possible here, no leafy vegetables last longer than 3-4 days, perhaps a week if you're lucky, so I cook my veggies in a fairly specific order after grocery shopping. Part of it is that, at the grocery store, they're not kept cool or moist, and another part is, I suspect, the lack of chemicals (pesticides, weedicides, and whatever else they spray on stuff).
rivka
Member # 4859

(Please tell me I'm not the only one who hears the Wicked Witch of the West in their head every time they see the thread title.)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

(I do now. Thanks, rivka. Really. Thanks. [Frown] )
rivka
Member # 4859

[Embarrassed]
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
(I thought it was melting)
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You do NOT want to know what KPC just misread...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes yes we do!
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
It was posted by KarlEd. And that is all I am going to say on the matter. [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Sure we don't! [Grumble] Make us all curios and leave it at that! :shakes fist:
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*waves magic wand and turns Corwin and kojabu into curios*

[Evil]

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Why not?! I've been everything else today... [Wink]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hey, you asked for it... *looks innocent*
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You can also do this with mint, cilantro, parsley, basil, and everything else that's leafy.
Basil's the exception -- DON'T do this for basil. For whatever reason (high oil content of the leaves?) if basil is moist while in a fridge, then within a few days it gets black spots and starts to go slimy.

(Other veggies that shouldn't be stored moist = cauliflower and green beans -- they start getting mold spots...)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Celery leaves also go black. The stems are fine, but if you're going to do them, you should cut off the leaves first.
OSTY
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for OSTY   Email OSTY         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep my lettuce in a bowl with a wet dish towel over it and then the lid...it keeps fresh and crisp for 2 weeks and then may start going a little limp but is still good for another 2 weeks.
Posts: 224 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.