FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » kanji wa muzukashii da ne

Author Topic: kanji wa muzukashii da ne
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
But it's quite a bit easier with this tutorial http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~ik2r-myr/kanji/kanji1a.htm

I don't know if anyone has posted this before but I've been having a lot of fun with it.

Of course, I haven't been able to apply anything I've learned yet, but then again I just started =)

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
Soo desu neh, Za Pikushiesuto. Kanji wa totemo muzukashii desu.

Gambatte!

Thanks for the link.

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Naw, Kanji is easy once you get the system.
It has a very simple system that is actually a bit beautiful.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
well, it's fun seeing what kanji you combine to make words. Flower+Fire = Fireworks for instance.

Still, you're wading through metaphore looking for meaning. It doesn't seem very efficient. Poetic, but not efficient. Plus it doesn't really tell you how to pronounce what you're reading.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link! It's the multiple readings for each kanji that kill me.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, it sure is. [Smile] Thanks for the link. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite will always be ball+child = egg.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
Sou da ne.... Furigana wa watashi no tomodachi. [Razz]

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

*loves his Kodansha Furigana J-E/E-J Dictionary*
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

quote:
Originally posted by JaneX:
Sou da ne.... Furigana wa watashi no tomodachi. [Razz]

~Jane~

Learning Japanese also made me 'get' the wordplay on the name of the Japanese virtual pet craze Tamagotchi.

Tamago (egg) + tomodachi (friend) = Tamagotchi (egg friend!)

erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
If you have Windows XP, you can install the East Asian language package and it allows you to type in Japanese in Hiragana and translate into the kanji you need: I found that to be a pretty useful tool to learn the army of kanji you need to know to be considered literate (5000).
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Taalcon:
*loves his Kodansha Furigana J-E/E-J Dictionary*

I have one of those. They're pretty awesome. [Smile]

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
If you have Windows XP, you can install the East Asian language package and it allows you to type in Japanese in Hiragana and translate into the kanji you need: I found that to be a pretty useful tool to learn the army of kanji you need to know to be considered literate (5000).

I have a set of Kanji Cards, plus Henshall's "Guide to Remembering Japanese Characters".

After trying both cold, I've found it a lot easier to grow a vocab first, and then to associate the characters with the vocab you're already familiar with.

Either way, when learning Japanese vocab, Kana = GOOD, Romaji = BAD

raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
I recommend: http://www.thejapanesepage.com/
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.