FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Nerd? Geek? Dork? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Nerd? Geek? Dork?
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Another of those tests.

As for me?

quote:
Outcast Genius
60 % Nerd, 69% Geek, 56% Dork
For The Record:

A Nerd is someone who is passionate about learning/being smart/academia.
A Geek is someone who is passionate about some particular area or subject, often an obscure or difficult one.
A Dork is someone who has difficulty with common social expectations/interactions.
You scored better than half in all three, earning you the title of: Outcast Genius.

Outcast geniuses usually are bright enough to understand what society wants of them, and they just don't care! They are highly intelligent and passionate about the things they know are *truly* important in the world. Typically, this does not include sports, cars or make-up, but it can on occassion (and if it does then they know more than all of their friends combined in that subject).

Outcast geniuses can be very lonely, due to their being outcast from most normal groups and too smart for the room among many other types of dorks and geeks, but they can also be the types to eventually rule the world, ala Bill Gates, the prototypical Outcast Genius.

Congratulations!

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*blinks at the link*

*blinks again as the link changes*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

Heh. Sorry. This is why we have the "Ctrl-V" thread [Razz]
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Outcast Genius
69 % Nerd, 56% Geek, 52% Dork

You scored better than half in all three, earning you the title of: Outcast Genius.

But mostly a nerd, which I knew. I aspire to geek status, though. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Taalcon:

Yep. I confess to having some unfriendly thoughts for a moment . . . but you just don't strike me as the type to do that deliberately, so I refreshed a couple times.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Modern, Cool Nerd
56 % Nerd, 56% Geek, 8% Dork
For The Record:

You scored better than half in two of the three, earning you the title of: Modern, Cool Nerd.

Nerds didn't use to be cool, but in the 90's that all changed. It used to be that, if you were a computer expert, you had to wear plaid or a pocket protector or suspenders or something that announced to the world that you couldn't quite fit in. Not anymore. Now, the intelligent and geeky have eked out for themselves a modicum of respect at the very least, and "geek is chic." The Modern, Cool Nerd is intelligent, knowledgable and always the person to call in a crisis (needing computer advice/an arcane bit of trivia knowledge). They are the one you want as your lifeline in Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (or the one up there, winning the million bucks)!

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
His Savageness
Member # 7428

- posted      Profile for His Savageness   Email His Savageness         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pure Nerd
91 % Nerd, 30% Geek, 26% Dork
For The Record:

You scored better than half in Nerd, earning you the title of: Pure Nerd.

The times, they are a-changing. It used to be that being exceptionally smart led to being unpopular, which would ultimately lead to picking up all of the traits and tendences associated with the "dork." No-longer. Being smart isn't as socially crippling as it once was, and even more so as you get older: eventually being a Pure Nerd will likely be replaced with the following label: Purely Successful.

Ouch!
Posts: 194 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Modern, Cool Nerd
82 % Nerd, 65% Geek, 43% Dork
For The Record:

You scored better than half in Nerd and Geek, earning you the title of: Modern, Cool Nerd.

Nerds didn't use to be cool, but in the 90's that all changed. It used to be that, if you were a computer expert, you had to wear plaid or a pocket protector or suspenders or something that announced to the world that you couldn't quite fit in. Not anymore. Now, the intelligent and geeky have eked out for themselves a modicum of respect at the very least, and "geek is chic." The Modern, Cool Nerd is intelligent, knowledgable and always the person to call in a crisis (needing computer advice/an arcane bit of trivia knowledge). They are the one you want as your lifeline in Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (or the one up there, winning the million bucks)!

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm willing to bet I test as Outcast Genius.

I'll be right back . . .

Back.

Outcast Genius
86 % Nerd, 52% Geek, 73% Dork

What the test doesn't take into consideration is that my extremely poor memory severely skewed some test questions. If I had answered those particular questions as if I had a normal memory, my geek rating would have been much, much higher.

That is all. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Modern, Cool Nerd
69 % Nerd, 52% Geek, 39% Dork

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
A Geek is someone who is passionate about some particular area or subject, often an obscure or difficult one.
A Dork is someone who has difficulty with common social expectations/interactions.
You scored less than half in all three, earning you the title of: Joe Normal.

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
You scored better than half in Geek, earning you the title of: Pure Geek.

It's not that you're a school junkie, like the nerd, and you don't really stand out in a crowd, like the dork, you just have some interests that aren't quite mainstream. Perhaps it's anime, perhaps it's computers, perhaps it's bottlecaps, perhaps it's all of those and more. Your interests take you to events and gatherings that are filled with people you find unusual and beyond-the-pale, but you don't quite consider yourself "of that crowd." Instead, you consider yourself to be fairly normal.

Which, you are.

Congratulations! You're the one on the RIGHT!

25%Nerdiness 90%Geek 24%Dork

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

Yep. I confess to having some unfriendly thoughts for a moment . . . but you just don't strike me as the type to do that deliberately, so I refreshed a couple times.
On a completely separate forum, a question was asked regarding the view on that subject. I presented the link, and forgot that I hadn't copied the RELEVANT link until, like, two seconds after I posted the thread.

You're too damn fast, rivka [Wink]

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Modern, Cool Nerd
69 % Nerd, 65% Geek, 47% Dork

That's 181%. [Confused]

My test tracked 3 variables How you compared to other people your age and gender:

You scored higher than 80% on nerdiness

You scored higher than 90% on geekosity

You scored higher than 80% on dork points

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
You're too damn fast, rivka [Wink]

You know, I don't hear that very often.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
El JT's quoting of "The Modern, Cool Nerd is intelligent, knowledgable and always the person to call in a crisis (needing computer advice/an arcane bit of trivia knowledge)." brings back fond memories of "that really cute IT guy" at an old job . . . OK, so maybe it wasn't his knowledge we craved, but rather the beautiful green eyes and chiseled features framed in a touseled brown ponytail, the tall frame, and most of all, the lovely charming Irish accent. . . sigh. Thank you for allowing me the moment of nostalgia for my favorite modern, cool, nerd. OK, so he was probably a geek, but anyway.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently I'm one of the Cool Geeks. I found a link on that site leading to yet another quiz. This only reinforces my geek status but I'm sure others here on hatrack will find the link interesting [Razz]

THE 4-VARIABLE BUFFY PERSONALITY TEST

My score:

quote:
Spike
54% amorality, 90% passion, 36% spirituality, 70% selflessness
Ruthless, passionate, ravenous and--when it comes to it--devoted to those you love. Sound okay? Sounds like Spike, a character at times a hero and others a villain, but always compelling, dynamic and driven.

Based on the results of this test, you're like Spike in every way but the fangs.

Congratulations!

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Joe Normal
39 % Nerd, 30% Geek, 39% Dork

I am so disappointed. I always thought of myself as being more of a nerd. I think I should have score higher in the dork area just for lack of success with the opposite sex.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You scored better than half in Nerd and Dork, earning you the coveted title of: Tri-Lamb Material.

The classic, "80's" nerd, you are what most people think of when they think "nerd". You're exceptionally bright and smart, and partly because of that have never quite fit in with your peers or social groups. Perhaps you've realized, or will someday, that it is possible to retain all of the things that you like about being brilliant and still make peace with the social cliques around you. Or maybe you won't--it's really not necessary.

You scored higher than 96% on nerdiness
You scored higher than 41% on geekosity
You scored higher than 89% on dork points

-sigh-
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Another
Modern, Cool Nerd
65 % Nerd, 56% Geek, 39% Dork

How you compared to other people your age and gender:
You scored higher than 54% on nerdiness
You scored higher than 78% on geekosity
You scored higher than 68% on dork points
(not many nerds or geeks in my age group, apparently!)

[Smile]

FG

[ August 31, 2005, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I rated as Pure Nerd:

52 % Nerd, 47% Geek, 39% Dork

But I think that isn't terribly indicative of being nerdy, although that's what I rated myself as. What's more substantial, I think, is my comparative points to other people of my age and gender:

You scored higher than 53% on nerdiness
You scored higher than 72% on geekosity
You scored higher than 60% on dork points

For although I am a nerd, more people who take this quiz are. So technically, I'm more unusually geeky for my age and gender.

Personally, I like to think of myself as a gnork.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a pure nerd! [Mad]
60 % Nerd, 21% Geek, 13% Dork

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pure Geek
17 % Nerd, 60% Geek, 30% Dork

You scored higher than 1% on nerdiness

You scored higher than 78% on geekosity

You scored higher than 48% on dork points

I think my OSC collection did me in........
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Joe Normal
43 % Nerd, 43% Geek, 26% Dork

Huh. I'm as surprised as you are. I suspect I would have scored a lot higher all around if I'd taken this in highschool or earlier. And there really should be a question for how many of the questions you wanted to argue with or quibble over.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
You scored better than half in Nerd and Geek, earning you the title of: Modern, Cool Nerd.

60 % Nerd, 69% Geek, 47% Dork

I seem to be well balanced. [Smile]

Here's how I was compared to others :

You scored higher than 56% on nerdiness

You scored higher than 91% on geekosity

You scored higher than 84% on dork points Ouch!

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
That was fun.

Nerd 95 percent
Geek 30 percent
Dork 52 percent

"You scored better than half in Nerd and Dork, earning you the coveted title of Tri-Lamb Material."

I scored above 99 percent in my group on nerdiness, above 46 percent in my group on geekosity, and above 91 percent in my group on dork points.

What? There aren't too many 49-year-old female nerds? Go figure. I love being in the vanguard.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
82 % Nerd, 26% Geek, 52% Dork

You scored better than half in Nerd and Dork, earning you the coveted title of: Tri-Lamb Material.

The classic, "80's" nerd, you are what most people think of when they think "nerd," largely due to 80's movies like Revenge of the Nerds and TV shows like Head of the Class. You're exceptionally bright and smart, and partly because of that have never quite fit in with your peers or social groups. Perhaps you're realized, or will someday, that it is possible to retain all of the things that you like about being brilliant and still make peace with the social cliques around you. Or maybe you won't--it's really not necessary. As the brothers of Lambda Lambda Lambda discovered, you're fine just the way you are and can take pride in that. I mean, who wants to be like Ogre, right!?

About what I expected, I suppose.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
I always knew it was so, but now I have confirmation.

Outcast Genius
73 % Nerd, 73% Geek, 60% Dork
For The Record:

Outcast geniuses usually are bright enough to understand what society wants of them, and they just don't care! They are highly intelligent and passionate about the things they know are *truly* important in the world. Typically, this does not include sports, cars or make-up, but it can on occassion (and if it does then they know more than all of their friends combined in that subject).

Outcast geniuses can be very lonely, due to their being outcast from most normal groups and too smart for the room among many other types of dorks and geeks, but they can also be the types to eventually rule the world, ala Bill Gates, the prototypical Outcast Genius.

Congratulations!

Also, you might want to check out some of my other tests if you're interested in either of the following:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Professional Wrestling

Love & Sexuality

Thanks Again! -- THE NERD? GEEK? OR DORK? TEST

My test tracked 3 variables How you compared to other people your age and gender:

You scored higher than 88% on nerdiness

You scored higher than 96% on geekosity

You scored higher than 93% on dork points

Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
The use the words nerdiness and geekosity. Why couldn't they invent something like dorkitude?
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Tri-Lamb material: 52 % Nerd, 47% Geek, 52% Dork. :-P
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Tri-Lamb Material
78 % Nerd, 47% Geek, 52% Dork

The classic, "80's" nerd, you are what most people think of when they think "nerd," largely due to 80's movies like Revenge of the Nerds and TV shows like Head of the Class. You're exceptionally bright and smart, and partly because of that have never quite fit in with your peers or social groups. Perhaps you're realized, or will someday, that it is possible to retain all of the things that you like about being brilliant and still make peace with the social cliques around you. Or maybe you won't--it's really not necessary. As the brothers of Lambda Lambda Lambda discovered, you're fine just the way you are and can take pride in that. I mean, who wants to be like Ogre, right!?

You scored higher than 86% on nerdiness
You scored higher than 66% on geekosity
You scored higher than 89% on dork points

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Pure Nerd
73 % Nerd, 39% Geek, 39% Dork

The times, they are a-changing. It used to be that being exceptionally smart led to being unpopular, which would ultimately lead to picking up all of the traits and tendences associated with the "dork." No-longer. Being smart isn't as socially crippling as it once was, and even more so as you get older: eventually being a Pure Nerd will likely be replaced with the following label: Purely Successful.

Speaking of nerdiness, I must be off to my linguistics section. [Razz]

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
Personally, I like to think of myself as a gnork.

That alone makes you WAY more of a gnork than you already were. I like it.

[Smile]

I scored Pure Nerd btw. Which is cool. I'm looking foward to that Purely Successful thing...

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Pure geek.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Pure Nerd
65 % Nerd, 26% Geek, 17% Dork

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
Pure Nerd for me.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Pure Nerd
69 % Nerd, 43% Geek, 26% Dork

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
Modern, Cool Nerd
82 % Nerd, 65% Geek, 47% Dork

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cr1spy
Member # 8407

- posted      Profile for Cr1spy   Email Cr1spy         Edit/Delete Post 
Pure Nerd. But then, being a nerd, I was able to figure that out already.

79% on nerdiness
21% on geekosity
60% on dork points

My wife and I have had this discussion many a time.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't having more than 50 on nerd and dork make you Tri-Lambda material?
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Modern, Cool Nerd
73 % Nerd, 69% Geek, 39% Dork
For The Record:

Congratulations!

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I hoped I would just be a nerd, but alas...

94 % Nerd, 47% Geek, 56% Dork

Tri-Lamb Material.

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Another Joe Normal here.

quote:
39 % Nerd, 39% Geek, 13% Dork

You scored less than half in all three, earning you the title of: Joe Normal.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Modern, Cool Nerd
60 % Nerd, 56% Geek, 17% Dork

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Outcast Genius
69 % Nerd, 86% Geek, 86% Dork

I'm so proud. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pure Nerd
78 % Nerd, 34% Geek, 39% Dork

quote:
You scored higher than 91% on nerdiness

You scored higher than 45% on geekosity

You scored higher than 65% on dork points

I think I should rate much higher on the geek aspect, personally.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Modern, Cool Nerd
78 % Nerd, 60% Geek, 13% Dork

quote:
For The Record:

For the record, I am not sure how good I would be as a lifeline on Who Wants to be a millionaire. [Wink]

That was a fun test. [Smile]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
69 % Nerd, 60% Geek, 56% Dork
For The Record:

Congratulations!

Hm, I kinda had to lie about my age since I'm not exactly 18... So I don't know how much that'd change it.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

But, Jon Boy, isn't it nice to know we have been using the term nerd accurately to describe one another?
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Pure nerd here. I thought I was a geek.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.