FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Shots Fired at Chopper: Superdome Evacuation Halted (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Shots Fired at Chopper: Superdome Evacuation Halted
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Shots Fired at Chopper: Superdome Evacuation Halted

I knew it was an evil world we live in. But this is pretty bad. Shooting at a rescue helicopter? This looting is unreal. They’re saying gangs control the streets armed with AK-47’s.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Although I just mentioned that at the end of This Thread, you are probably right that the direction of this topic deserves a new thread.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about this on the raido about an hour ago...

It is a sad state of affairs, to be sure, and it really makes me angry.

How many people will suffer because of these idiots? How many people who were oging to volenteer to help are going to change their mind because of the dangers?

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
I posted this quote in the earlier thread, but it is probably more appropriate here.

"Tempers were beginning to flare in the aftermath of the storm. Police said a man fatally shot his sister in the head over a bag of ice in Hattiesburg, Miss."

It is absolutely unbelievable what we humans are capable of doing. It just shows the importance that society plays in keeping us civilized.

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like we need to pull the troops out of Iraq and invade New Orleans. People are always declaring martial law in the movies. What does it take for it to happen in real life?

Seriously, though, I think the police and military should treat looters in Louisiana like insurgents in Iraq. Taking a TV is one thing, but carjacking buses from nursing homes and trucks taking supplies to hospitals is a whole different type of crime. If they live by the AK-47, they should die by the AK-47.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I am deeply upset by this.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Speed, martial law has been declared (on Tuesday). But many police precincts are flooded or otherwise all but incapacitated.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

wow. I thought it was still just a state of emergency. Guess I'm behind on my news. Thanks.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know I had no idea how bad it was until last night. I was busy wrapped up in my own little misery that is this week...

But OMG... People shooting at rescue workers? People camping on the remains of I-10? It's like a bad movie.

When I first read how bad it was on Yahoo I said to my husband "Thousands dead? We don't have natural disasters like that in America! Not anymore!" I just couldn't believe it. We have "50 dead" or sometimes "100 dead"... but Thousands?

I'm at a loss...

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they were probably shooting in the air, trying to attrack the attention of the rescue choppers.

But still, how dumb can you be.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
We saw this on the news tonight.

[Frown]

I cannot *believe* people would shoot at helicopters evacuating others. It just doesn't make sense.

The Pixiest - in terms of your response, I guess that's how the news stations have been reporting it here. "The world's richest nation, now with third world conditions... " etc etc.

But what really shocks me is not that it happened - it's a natural disaster - but people's response. Shooting police, shooting rescuers - that is what I find hard to fathom in a first world country, and in America.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Shows you how thin the sheen of civilization can be.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
The behaviour of the people in New Orleans is an embarassment to our country and to humanity as a whole...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. And it's saddening.

[Edit - this was to AFR. I'm not sure any other community would behave differently, giventhe circumstances. ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's an unfortunate sociological experiment gone bad.

It's a fact that most of the people left behind were those who didn't own or have access to cars. These are the poor and destitute, and I'm not surprised they've seized this chance to try and improve their standing in the world. Nor am I surprised with the way they went about it. It sucks, but I saw this coming three days ago. Total Anarchy.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that is a little overstated, although I am sure there are some area like that...

Overall though I doubt it, nd we will impose those rules in thise areas again before too long.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Is it just me, or does this article seem more fitting now than when it was written?
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
That issue of the Onion is some of my all time favorite writing, ever.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Shows you how thin the sheen of civilization can be."

I call dibs on the conch.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
It's very simple, really. Don't arrest the looters, it takes too much time away from policing the streets. Instead, zippertie them to a lamppost and write LOOTER across their forehead with a Sharpie.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Cruel and unusual punishment is against the Constitution, Chris.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Drat.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

So don't write looter on their forehead.

NOLA's under martial law - the constitution's on hold.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. I'm not sure it's cruel. And there's no rule against simply unusual punishment.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*serious* With the situation as it currently is, too many people might take it upon themselves to torture and/or kill someone. Not deliberately setting out to do anything that drastic, but mobs can be frightening things.

Looting is bad, no question. But I don't think it deserves that sort of penalty.

advice for robots
Member # 2544

Dibs on the pig's head. Wanna play capture the flag?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

You can't call dibs. I've got the conch, so you can't even talk. So there.
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
Luckily, we probably all have spectacles.
Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

That's it, I'm going savage.
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
The looting I saw was mostly people breaking into grocery stores for food. Is that just how it started? I don't have cable, so I get news in broken bits.

If I was stranded with only a bottle of water and peanut butter sandwich for three days, would I bust into a Safeway and get food for my family? Food that would probably be bad in a week anyway?

YES. Yes I would. THAT kind of looting... I totally get it. I saw a woman put out a cigarette before going into a grocery store, to loot. That is some deeply ingrained law-abiding behavior, to put out a cigarette before going into a store to 'loot' (though it was a food store). I get that. I really do.

Stealing jewelwry and TVs and $500.00 shoes? That's... not a matter of necessity.

I think some people are arming themselves to protect themselves against the gangs. It's crazy. Understandable, I guess, but frightening.

Who was it that said no civilization is more that three meals away from revolution?

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like it's getting worse, not better.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

President Bush is beginning to look extra-crispy cluless.

This is what happens when people are hungry, dammit.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

They've already engaged 28,000 troops and more are almost certainly going to be on the way... it's not like order's going to be restored overnight...

And it's not going to go quickly with people firing shots at rescuers.... as someone on a military forum I frequent said, can you imagine surviving Iraq or Afghanistan to be shot trying a humanitarian effort in a major US city?

Edit: now I'm seeing 2800 troops there with 1400 a day arriving... that's a drastically different estimate than the first one I got. I guess we have to remember that we really don;t know what's going on there...

[ September 01, 2005, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

He still looks foolish saying "these people" need to controll themselves. 1. They can't hear him. 2. They are hungry and desperate in a way most of us (especially our priviledged commander in chief) don't really understand.

I VOTED for the guy (once) and I'm cringing. And ashamed.

Jay
Member # 5786

quote:
New Orleans hospital halts patient evacuations after coming under sniper fire, a doctor who witnessed the incident says. More soon.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Now is not the approbate time for political rhetoric

[ September 01, 2005, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Jay ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it teh approbate time for speeling?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
Doctors at two desperately crippled hospitals in New Orleans called The Associated Press Thursday morning pleading for rescue, saying they were nearly out of food and power and had been forced to move patients to higher floors to escape looters.
I have to think that at least a few of these people who would loot a hospital so badly that the doctors have to move higher -- have got to be druggies who haven't been able to get a fix for days now.

I've seen an addict come down -- it isn't a pretty sight. If there are many of those types of desparate people around -- they can be extremely dangerous...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Why were there still tens of thousands of people in the city? I thought that it was supposed to be evacuated long before the huricane hit.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I didn't mean to be political. I usually avoid all political stuff. I was just saying what I felt, not really thinking.

I need more time to process tis before I can reall think coherently about it.

I apologize if I have offended anyone. I didn't mean to.

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a stupid question.

Why don't we send in thousands of military helicopters and airlift out the survivors?

When I didn't see this right away, I thought to myself, ok, they're just waiting for the storm to subside.

But the skies are clear. Where is the military?

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Iraq? I really don't know. Large numbers of troops are definitely elsewhere. I don't know how that affects this, though.
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
Once again FG's post makes me think of a movie. Edit: the post about the hospital

It brought to mind the movie 28 Days Later - waking up in a hospital to find that your city has been destroyed and your life is threatened by a bunch of human zombies.

Sometimes truth is scarier than fiction.

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
What about civilian helicopters?

These people are going to DIE! [Frown]

*sigh*

Wait, I just realized that some looters are shooting at helicopters. Sorry for these stupid posts. I can't think straight at this moment.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Yeah, I was about to point out that helicopters are coming under fire...

Olivet, you and FG made all those posts over a period of about 2 minutes... it's likely that the one was made while you were posting the other...

But at the risk of dredging it back up, I don't see the Bush comments you are fuming over in the transcript CNN has... could you tell me where to look?

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Olivet - I'm sorry. I hadn't seen your apology when I was typing my post. (and got interrupted with a phone call as I typed) I will delete it

Farmgirl

Olivet
Member # 1104

I got it of a link in someone else's LJ post.

And since I agree that this shouldn't be political, I'm not going to post it.

I'm really upset right now. I did not mean to attack the president. I only meant to express my sadness at the shame I feel regarding this whole snafu.

Plus, I think FG can chose to explain herself, or not, as she wishes. I've always liked FG. Edit: and there it is. :)I figured. [Wave]

I promised my Beloved that the next time I cried over some stupid internet forum, it would be my last time. So I'm going to get myself some distance.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

((Olivet))
Jay
Member # 5786

[Group Hug]

*Ok, enough touching. Give me some space*

calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
National Guard helicopters were in use from the begining of the crisis. Very few vehicles other than the blackhawk and other military choppers are capable of mass rescue.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.